Texas Fishing Forum

Buying Used boat ppw question

Posted By: BigHead248

Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/23/19 02:26 PM

I’m planning to buy a small used flat bottom with motor and trailer. Is a bill of sale all that’s required or are the pwd 143 and 144 forms also required?

Thanks
Posted By: SMB Junkie

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/23/19 02:42 PM

You can call the TPWD boat registration office in Garland. 972-226-9966. They'll be able to tell you exactly what you need. Good luck.
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/23/19 03:06 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/23/19 07:41 PM

You need a bill of sale for each part, listing the paid price for each. Boat, motor, and trailer.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/23/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
You need a bill of sale for each part, listing the paid price for each. Boat, motor, and trailer.

And make sure the bill of sale for each item has the correct numbers for that item. (Boat hull #, motor serial #. trailer serial #). They may also want a photo of that number, a cell phone pic should work
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/23/19 08:40 PM

You want titles, detailed bill of sale, trailer registration and the Texas Parks forms for the Boat and Outboard.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/24/19 06:33 AM

What PowerLizard said. They key in the link is: "Purchasing Used Vessels/Outboard Motors: DO NOT purchase a used vessel/boat or outboard motor without receiving a title signed on the front and back along with a bill of sale from the person(s) listed on the title or from their legally documented representative. If a legal representative signs the title for the recorded owner(s), you must obtain a copy of the documentation authorizing them to act on behalf of the owner(s). Texas Parks and Wildlife is not authorized to register/title boat trailers, those are handled by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles through your local County Tax offices."

It will be a PITA to deal without titles for the boat and motor. You can get by on the trailer because that is the county vs. TPWD. Worst case, you can call the trailer homemade. That won't work with TPWD on the boat and motor.
Posted By: cwil

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/24/19 07:10 AM

Also break down the price for each, $$ for boat, $$ for motor, and $$ for trailer on the bill of sale. this is because you get the trailer registered at the county license dmv and the boat motor at tpwd for taxes. they both want their share out of you. also fill out tx form 130u for trailer registration. the seller has to sign this. at least i had to file this form in tarrant county. good luck.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/24/19 11:37 AM

You don't have to title a trailer unless it's been titled before. If it has, a title for trailer is required as well as boat and motor titles. All I know for sure is that it's a PIA to go through all of it. GL!
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/24/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cwil
Also break down the price for each, $$ for boat, $$ for motor, and $$ for trailer on the bill of sale. this is because you get the trailer registered at the county license dmv and the boat motor at tpwd for taxes. they both want their share out of you. also fill out tx form 130u for trailer registration. the seller has to sign this. at least i had to file this form in tarrant county. good luck.

Actually, when buying mine it was bill of sale'd for the whole package. I registered boat first, and they had me carry my receipt documentation with me to get the trailer registered showing I had already paid the TPWD the sales tax as a whole. No problems. But do have full identification details for boat, motor, trailer on bill of sale. Breakdown of the costs didn't turn out to be necessary in my experience.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/26/19 08:44 PM

you need the forms
Posted By: cwil

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/27/19 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tanner101
Originally Posted by cwil

Actually, when buying mine it was bill of sale'd for the whole package. I registered boat first, and they had me carry my receipt documentation with me to get the trailer registered showing I had already paid the TPWD the sales tax as a whole. No problems. But do have full identification details for boat, motor, trailer on bill of sale. Breakdown of the costs didn't turn out to be necessary in my experience.

I think a lot of of it depends on the person behind the counter at both places. The more paperwork you take in, the easier it'll be for your get titles and registered.

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
You don't have to title a trailer unless it's been titled before. If it has, a title for trailer is required as well as boat and motor titles. All I know for sure is that it's a PIA to go through all of it. GL!

I think the title depends on trailer size, but I'm not totally sure. My current boat trailer was titled by the previous owner and when I registered it, she told me no title is required. IDK. If I ever have an issue I have the previous owner title signed over to me. Everyone s experience I talk to is different. TX is just jacked up when it comes to this stuff.

Good Luck.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Buying Used boat ppw question - 12/27/19 03:58 PM

if you can bring the tax office stuff to quitman and register there.

bought my latest boat in mo. and took less than 30 mins. for all of it.

titles, or registration for trailer if less than 4,000 #, get cell phone pics of outboard and hull ser. #s, have all 3 broken down on the bill of sale as to what you paid for ea.

another option I know of is bonham tag office, in and out in less than 10 mins. 9 of 10 times.

just do subsequent registrations online.

quitman will hand you the forms you need, 10 mins. to fill out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum