Texas Fishing Forum

Athens report/advice

Posted By: Tjbev13

Athens report/advice - 12/13/19 01:03 PM

I have never fished Athens this time of year, ever. I need to get out and run the boat though. I was going to cruise over to athens this weekend. Any one been out there lately?
Posted By: wsimpson

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/13/19 01:28 PM

Having my boat serviced in the area and hope to put in a couple of hours on the water late this afternoon. If so, I'll let you know...
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/14/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by wsimpson
Having my boat serviced in the area and hope to put in a couple of hours on the water late this afternoon. If so, I'll let you know...

So . . .
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/14/19 05:23 PM

I just stopped for lunch headed over. Got a late start, but I'll let you know how I do today.

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by bassnman

So . . .

So, I can confirm that Friday the 13th is, for a fact, unlucky at least for me yesterday. Normally these stories/events are privately held but I’ll share mine since you inquired.

Picked up the boat from where it was being serviced and got on the lake about 3:30. Water temp was 58. First stop on a main lake grass/hydrilla bed and got bit pretty quick on the deep outside edge on a downsized crank-bait. Went to go check one of the arms for bait and motor would not start - just the solenoid clicking. NAPA 31 series dedicated start battery less than 1 year old and hydraulic jackplate and tilt/trim were both strong and fine so battery wasn’t suspect. Decided to head back (2-3 miles) to ramp on troll motor and 100% on 36v was barely moving the boat? Realized I wasn’t going to make it back on the TM. Beached the boat on a shallow bar. Got out and walked the edge of a gorgeous lake house owned by the probably the richest generational family in the area. Prepared to jump from the property into the lake if security dogs approached - fortunately not. Hiked about 3/4 mike up the road; then hitch-hiked back to the ramp area. Then, the water authority police took me out and we towed my boat back to the ramp.

Forgot to mention that my I-Phone was dead - buts that’s another story.

Today, I’ve determined it’s either the starter solenoid or starter so I’ve ordered both and am awaiting delivery.

Ps. If either of the three boats that passed me while I had the cowling off and waving arms and seemed to avoid eye contact read this, thanks for nothing. All I needed was someone willing to tow me back after they were done fishing - about 15 min. May karma seek and find you...
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 01:08 AM

[quote=bassnman][quote=wsimpson]

Ps. If either of the three boats that passed me while I had the cowling off and waving arms and seemed to avoid eye contact read this, thanks for nothing. All I needed was someone willing to tow me back after they were done fishing - about 15 min. May karma seek and find you...

Thats bs, Ive been towed once since 95 but Ive towed at least 6-8 boats the most recent being a Netter on Falcon.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 01:56 AM

Karma is real. Trust me. I’ve been on both ends of it lately. roflmao
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 02:55 AM

I’ve had the same experience limping back to the ramp at Athens. I’ve towed several people back, not everyone shares our manners
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 03:52 AM

I would have towed ya. Never left a guy stranded and have been towed several times myself. Its possible they didnt see ya though. Chin walkin at over 70 I dont see much on the sidlines sometimes. smile
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 04:01 AM

Thanks for giving the update despite the rough day and hope you get the boat straightened out.
Days like this i say i’m just paying dues.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 04:27 AM

Sorry about your luck. Today was a nice winter day
Fishing left something to be desired, but I boated three unders. Heck, last two trips I didn't get a bass to bite! I stink at cold-water fishing!!!

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/15/19 02:06 PM

It's all good. I, too, have towed many and this was my first time being towed. I'm one of those guys that believes that "everything happens for a reason." For those that are not familiar with Lake Athens, the water authority (903.804.8501) has a law enforcement officer on staff that provides on-the-water rescue and other services during normal business hours.

Another tip for those fishing Athens, Cedar Creek, or passing thru Gun Barrel City, the New Murphy’s (Walmart) pumps have ethanol-free unleaded on tap for about .50 more per gallon than regular unleaded - recall about $2.55 per gallon...
Posted By: Tjbev13

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/16/19 01:39 PM

Wow that sucks man!

Saturday was pretty slow for us, Fished all sorts of deep spots, with zero bites, nothing even showing up on the graph. Moved shallow with senkos and caught a few then put it on the trailer!
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Athens report/advice - 12/16/19 03:08 PM

Another tip for those fishing Athens, Cedar Creek, or passing thru Gun Barrel City, the New Murphy’s (Walmart) pumps have ethanol-free unleaded on tap for about .50 more per gallon than regular unleaded - recall about $2.55 per gallon...

Good to know! Thanks! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum