Texas Fishing Forum

Swimbait Question

Posted By: Topwater2

Swimbait Question - 12/12/19 01:40 AM

Which do you have more success on, hard body or soft body or no difference? What length do you find to be your most successful? TIA
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/12/19 03:35 AM

Soft body...5-7" seems to get the most bites.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/12/19 12:40 PM

Personally I use soft most of the time and the size depends on several factors. Time of year, forage size and the population of forage. Spring tends to be on the short side 5", once the shad start to spawn I go up to 7" the best part of shad spawn is that it can happen up to 3 times a year.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/12/19 06:54 PM

My very limited experience and knowledge is that hard baits get more follows and soft baits get more bites. So if you are fishing a clear body of water, the hard baits may do a great job as a search bait to give away the location of a big fish. Circle back later with a soft bait and see if you can get her to take. I use a very similar approach musky fishing. If I'm in highly stained water, I personally don't bother with a hard bait.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/14/19 04:36 PM

Best place to throw big swim baits is in three foot or less along wind blown points and breaks where there’s very little or no grass. The best lakes are those that have gizzard shad.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/14/19 05:15 PM

Swimbaits work everywhere. But there’s different kinds. From topwater like Lunker Punkers to bottom crawlers like Hudds and everything in between. Hard and soft all work, but determining where in the water column bass are willing to bite them is the key. Glides work from the surface down to as deep as you care to fish them. Slammers are awesome on top and cranked down a couple of feet. Rats too. “Swimbait” is such a broad category, it’s almost meaningless at this point.
Posted By: CDub74

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/16/19 09:16 AM

Match the hatch, some times small soft body swimbaits work the best. Other times a giant one can produce monsters. You have to stick with it and throw it until you get tired and keep doing it. I have a small soft swimbait tied on 12 months out of the year, i just change the weight in the head. Good luck
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Swimbait Question - 12/16/19 02:39 PM

Thanks y'all.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum