Texas Fishing Forum

what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen?

Posted By: beartrap

what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/11/19 09:48 PM

my guesstimate is that about 25% of the fishermen from each circuit make their living from fishing income...remainder have family money or jobs that allow them enough time off to fish the tournaments...
my guesstimate on the current BASS elite series is possibly 50% derive their income from fishing whereas MLF pros is probably close to 100% who earn their living from fishing/sponsors/speaking engagements etc...
Posted By: SC 210

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/11/19 10:07 PM

I think you're right I bet bass is 50%or above now with guides and additions but I bet the FLW costa is lower. I know bunches of guys that fish Costa and they're working stiffs like me, who donate nearly all available funds to fish.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/11/19 11:47 PM

I think you're probably way high on the Costas and Opens. Every tournament is loaded with really good locals that bail off in there for a chance at a big payday.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 01:24 AM

BASS will be higher % this year, hell there will be more talent in the opens than in the elite series for a few seasons until it all shakes out. I fished the Everstarts (former costas) as a non boater and I drew more than one who "thought" they were pros rolleyes
Posted By: Brent S

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
BASS will be higher % this year, hell there will be more talent in the opens than in the elite series for a few seasons until it all shakes out. I fished the Everstarts (former costas) as a non boater and I drew more than one who "thought" they were pros rolleyes

Drew a guy in an open years back. We traveled 2.5 hours from takeoff to fish an area for 30 minutes. No bites for either of us and the guy gave up after that.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S

Drew a guy in an open years back. We traveled 2.5 hours from takeoff to fish an area for 30 minutes. No bites for either of us and the guy gave up after that.
sounds exactly like my very first day as a co angler in BASS.
Posted By: rbspots

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 12:41 PM

All have "Pro" ego's, about 40% have pro talent
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 12:52 PM

I thought the jersey made you a pro. Seems everyone out there has a jersey.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 01:10 PM

Define "PRO". Tough to lay out percentagees unless that is defined. There are a lot of 'Pro's' who are all show. Lot of money and flashy gear but will backlash a winch.

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Define "PRO". Tough to lay out percentagees unless that is defined. There are a lot of 'Pro's' who are all show. Lot of money and flashy gear but will backlash a winch.

how about this for a definition...."who earn their living from fishing/sponsors/speaking engagements etc"...

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap

how about this for a definition...."who earn their living from fishing/sponsors/speaking engagements etc"...

Yes sir thank you and I did fully read your OP. However based on what I understand even guys who fish Elite Series, BPT, and now FLW Pro Circuits have side gigs or businesses unrelated to the outdoors industry that maintain their steady cash flow. Their sole source of revenue generation is not derived from tournament placement, sponsorships, appearances, lectures, sponsorships, and endorsements.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 02:00 PM

[Linked Image]

If I was self employed, and wore a jersey?
roflmao
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
I think you're probably way high on the Costas and Opens. Every tournament is loaded with really good locals that bail off in there for a chance at a big payday.

AKA "Zip Code fishermen" or "Cherrypickers". Never stray more than a couple hundred miles from home but fish any and every tourney they can that has a potential for a good check
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Brent S

sounds exactly like my very first day as a co angler in BASS.

Had a similar experience with a wannabe "pro". I was fishing in a FLW Stren/Everstart/Rayovac/Costa as a co-angler when my boater hooked a decent fish on light line. He brought the fish to the boat even though it wasn't ready, and called for the net. Before I could even get the net in the water, he got broke off. Naturally, I got the blame, and he pouted and refused to fish the rest of the day
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 05:38 PM

100%... Since the profession of bass fishing doesn't have one governing body that sets a true definition... Dan
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya

roflmao
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 06:43 PM

Pro - earns living from fishing derby’s and fishing related stuff
Wanna be Pro - wears jersey to fish local derby’s and when fun fishing and while attending fishing shows and every chance they get. Wanna be pros are good for laughs and that’s about it.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

Wanna be Pro - wears jersey to fish local derby’s and when fun fishing and while attending fishing shows and every chance they get. Wanna be pros are good for laughs and that’s about it.

but the "Wannabe" as you call them are he future of the sport

#grow#the#sport

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

#grow#the#sport

Some - yes. Most - nope

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

#grow#the#sport

Some - yes. Most - nope

Disagree - The future of the sport lies with those who choose to educate others and invest in the younger generation(s).

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 07:20 PM

I think it’s HS fishing. That’s the future. So many good anglers.

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 07:23 PM

I think it’s HS fishing. That’s the future. So many good anglers.

Completely agree if talking about bass fishing and eventually tournaments but just the sport of fishing it goes a lot deeper than that. Those talented HS anglers did not get that way without a mentor investing in them. Knowing how to operate touch screens and growing up in the interweb generation doesn't hurt either.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 09:04 PM

The future of the sport is being taught how to look the part. That is about all. Seems to me like more and more HS and College kids are somehow towing around $70k boats on the back of a jacked up truck with $10k worth of graphs.

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 09:49 PM

I think there is similarity between high school fishing and these travel baseball,soccer,cheerleader competitions in that they are sports competitions between kids with affluent parents...I know of parents who carry their kids all over the south to compete in what is labeled as "all star" competition but the reality is that the only competitors are those kids whose parents can afford to pay the entry fees and afford the cost of motels,meals and travels to the games...
there's a ton of parents out there who became soccer fans only because their kids were participating in the sport......stands to reason that a lot of parents and their kids are going to become bass tournament fans as this sport continues to grow...
another factor is that on a national basis,a lot of kids are losing interest in playing football and high schools are not fielding teams which is going to free up more kids for fishing teams...….
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 10:05 PM

New boat and truck , jersey instant pro bass fisherman.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
100%... Since the profession of bass fishing doesn't have one governing body that sets a true definition... Dan

There is only one governing body that matters. The IRS. By IRS rules, I would bet less than 20% fishing Elite, Opens, and FLW would not be declared a hobby. Much less for the other levels.
Posted By: 9094

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/12/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by TinRangerJim
Originally Posted by rj74955

AKA "Zip Code fishermen" or "Cherrypickers". Never stray more than a couple hundred miles from home but fish any and every tourney they can that has a potential for a good check

Sounds like smart fisherman to me. That is why you fish a tournament to get a check.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/13/19 12:36 AM

Anyone who calls a tournament a Derby is definitely a pro...

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/13/19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

...or old AF.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/13/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

New boat and truck , jersey instant pro bass fisherman.

I am asking for a jersey for Christmas now.

Re: what percent of FLW and BASS opens are professional fishermen? - 12/13/19 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

...or old AF.

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum