Texas Fishing Forum

Big Batteries, Big Electronics?

Posted By: dhelms

Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/03/19 12:31 PM

What are the best batteries to go with? Cranking & trolling motor. Seems like the equipment now days drink the juice more so than in the past.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/03/19 02:11 PM

Lithium if money is no issue
The best non lithium setup is an Odyssey 2150 for cranking/electronics and duracell 31 AGMS for trolling motor

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 12:05 AM

I heard the odyssey batteries were good. Will the 2150 last all day by itself running two graphs, live wells, & such? I have a solix 15 at the console and plan to add a solix 12 on the front.
Posted By: squib

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Lithium if money is no issue
The best non lithium setup is an Odyssey 2150 for cranking/electronics and duracell 31 AGMS for trolling motor

That is the non-lithium setup I have. I have no complaints. Run three graphs and live wells, etc. Never have had to jump the starter.

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by dhelms
I heard the odyssey batteries were good. Will the 2150 last all day by itself running two graphs, live wells, & such? I have a solix 15 at the console and plan to add a solix 12 on the front.

It's a beast, no issues we run 4 graphs, 2 poles plus pumps all day and it cranks a 300 Merc at the end of the day everytime. Learned our lesson not having enough battery to crank after a long day, never again. If there's one thing to pay up for it's a good battery

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 03:35 AM

Odyssey had 20% off Black Friday. I wished I would have asked this question a week ago.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 12:17 PM

It's a beast, no issues we run 4 graphs, 2 poles plus pumps all day and it cranks a 300 Merc at the end of the day everytime. Learned our lesson not having enough battery to crank after a long day, never again. If there's one thing to pay up for it's a good battery

+1 thumb

Had a brand new Phoenix leave me stranded after 7 hours of fishing with lithium cranker. The manufacturer blamed it on Texas heat.

$4,800.00 in batteries & charger... Not a happy camper.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 12:43 PM

If you’re running multiple big graphs you should consider separatIng your batteries. Have your TM on a batt or group, your electronics on a batt or group and a Cranking battery for the big motor. Then size these batteries to the load and hours you want to run.
TM & Electronics on Deep Cycle Batteries and the Big Motor on a Cranking battery.

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pelican
If you’re running multiple big graphs you should consider separatIng your batteries. Have your TM on a batt or group, your electronics on a batt or group and a Cranking battery for the big motor. Then size these batteries to the load and hours you want to run.
TM & Electronics on Deep Cycle Batteries and the Big Motor on a Cranking battery.

You can run all you want on the Odyssey pc2150. Coupled with 3 Duracell 31 AGMS for your 36v trolling motor and you can fish all day not worrying about loss of power anywhere.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

+1 thumb

Had a brand new Phoenix leave me stranded after 7 hours of fishing with lithium cranker. The manufacturer blamed it on Texas heat.

$4,800.00 in batteries & charger... Not a happy camper

I was in a ford once and it had a dead battery after I drove to walmart. $65k truck not a happy camper.

I was using my phone one day and it died after only 2 hours.. $1000 not a happy camper.

^^^^ this can go on all day^^^
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 04:26 PM

The group 31 AGM Duracell's are about as good as you can get non-lithium these days. Be sure to use 8-10 gauge wire straight from the battery to your Solix and nothing else (with a fuse off the positive terminal at the battery). I have a Solix 12 at the console and a 15 on the bow for 360... the whole network is extremely sensitive to low voltage.

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Originally Posted by Ken A.

+1 thumb

$4,800.00 in batteries & charger... Not a happy camper

I was in a ford once and it had a dead battery after I drove to walmart. $65k truck not a happy camper.

I was using my phone one day and it died after only 2 hours.. $1000 not a happy camper.

^^^^ this can go on all day^^^

Wasn't bashing the boat brah. Don't get twisted up. Just not a fan of the "new technology" in batts

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 10:30 PM

Wasn't bashing the boat brah. Don't get twisted up. Just not a fan of the "new technology" in batts

Dont care about the boat part, just gets old reading your same post over and over every time someone mentions the word lithium batteries. Its no different than the two examples I posted above..... Lithium batteries are working great for many many people... Way more than people who have had issues. EVERYONE who has been in this game long has had a dead battery on the water, agm, wet cell or maybe even lithium.

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Dont care about the boat part, just gets old reading your same post over and over every time someone mentions the word lithium batteries. Its no different than the two examples I posted above..... Lithium batteries are working great for many many people... Way more than people who have had issues. EVERYONE who has been in this game long has had a dead battery on the water, agm, wet cell or maybe even lithium.

Wow, must've touched a nerve....

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 11:11 PM

.[/quote]

Wow, must've touched a nerve....
[/quote]

If you cant see how stupid the statements I posted are and how they are identical to what you keep saying about that one time you were stranded and the boat had a lithium battery, then I guess, yeah go ahead and chalk it up to a nerve. (INSERT big eye roll here.)

Im sure you knock new trucks also, just too many new fangled things that can go wrong, much better to have a 70s truck with points for ignition, manual door locks, manual window cranks, no cruise control, no cup holders and terrible suspension!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/04/19 11:19 PM

I like batteries that don't cost too much and don't leave me stranded. popcorn2

Re: Big Batteries, Big Electronics? - 12/05/19 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
I like batteries that don't cost too much and don't leave me stranded. popcorn2

Ditto, my relion lithiums meets both those for me. Beings theyll be the last batteries I ever buy (hopefully and supposedly) they are not expensive.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum