Texas Fishing Forum

FISHING LINE

Posted By: STUNTGRUNTLURES

FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 02:43 PM

buying new line for bass fishing this year,,,,, what is your favorite,,,,,,, for braid froging,pitching???,,,,, fluorocarbon for crankbaits,chatter baits,& etc.... & does anyone use mono any more???
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 03:12 PM

I plan to still use mono. But I'm 65 and old school (not to mention stubborn). Used braid years ago when it first came out and while it has it's advantages it has some bad traits also.

As I fish at night when the weather permits, I need a line that glows in black lights. That definitely limits my choices.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 03:12 PM

I just swapped a couple of my rods over to Yozuri Hybrid and CX Premium which are much better than Mono and CXX in my opinion.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 03:24 PM

On a bunch of my setups I'm using power pro braid as a backer with about a 20 foot leader of Seaguar Tatsu flouro. I use an Alberto knot and have very little difficulty casting and have never once had a failure at the connecting knot. You get the best of both worlds in my opinion. Not to mention you can get an awful lot of mileage out of a spool of that super expensive tatsu.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 03:34 PM

i still use nothing but Seaguar Invisex fluorocarbon in 12#, 15#, 20# and 25# and PowerPro Super Slick Braid 30# and 65#. That covers all my bases from top water to crank baits to frogs to flipping.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by NELA Bassguy
I just swapped a couple of my rods over to Yozuri Hybrid and CX Premium which are much better than Mono and CXX in my opinion.

I just bought 9000 yards of CX Premuim. And I consider it basically a monofilament line that is coated. Technically, copolymer lines are just monofilament lines that have been crafted with a blend of different nylon strands to create a line with a different feel. Yes, it isn't old-school mono, but it's close. And probably a bit better.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 04:02 PM

Yozuri Hybrid rocks! Tried lots of others but keep coming back. The only downside is the 20 pound gets stiff when its cold. Havent decided on fluoro and braid yet but currently using power pro braid and Seaguar flouro. You need mono for many topwaters to work correctly.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 05:36 PM

I'm thinking about switching everything to Hi-Seas Grand Slam Select, cheap, but i think it's so much more visible than fluoro. Just can't tell. anyone just use mono and still catch a lot of fish?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 05:46 PM

There are plenty of people that still just use Trilene and Stren mono and catch a lot of fish

The advantages of braid mainline to different leaders can be very convincing
—saves money. Braid lasts a long,long time, especially if you are using leaders (straight braid for frogs and punching thick vegetation)
—saves time: much quicker to change out a leader vs respooling
—improves sensitivity with very low stretch braid (especially with budget friendly rod blanks)
—improves hookset quality (especially at the end of a long cast due to very low stretch)
Posted By: dr14

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 06:18 PM

Suffix 832 for braid, Seaguar InvisX for flouro and Pline CXX for mono but it's pretty stiff.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G
i still use nothing but Seaguar Invisex fluorocarbon in 12#, 15#, 20# and 25# and PowerPro Super Slick Braid 30# and 65#. That covers all my bases from top water to crank baits to frogs to flipping.

+1 ....Plus throw in some Trilene Big Game for C Rig leaders. thumb
Posted By: Jessa

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 09:25 PM

I use Izorline platinum on most of my rods.
Braid: Pline works for me
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/02/19 10:28 PM

I like:
Seaguar InvizX for moving baits in general
- Relatively low memory, great consistency/quality control, and great casting fluoro; has some stretch so it can help keep treble-hooked fish buttoned when they fight

Trilene XL mono for topwaters in clear water
- It's old technology, everybody makes good mono, I've just always used Trilene

Sunline FX2 for Carolina rigs in any water color, flipping and topwater in muddy water/vegetation/heavy cover
- Extremely tough, casts well, color doesn't fade much, also seems to last forever - I have 2 year old line that continues to perform

Sunline SX1 for spinning reel main line to about 10 feet of 8-10 lb Seaguar InvizX leader and an FG/Rizutto knot connection (p.i.t.a. to tie)
- Extremely smooth casting, the FG/Rizutto knot is tiny and sails through the guides, super sensitive setup for finesse stuff

Hiseas 100% Fluoro for flipping in cleaner water
- Most abrasion-resistant line I've used, less stretch and more sensitive than InvizX but less manageable as a result; slightly cheaper than Seaguar too.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by dr14
Suffix 832 for braid, Seaguar InvisX for flouro and Pline CXX for mono but it's pretty stiff.

These are the same lines I use. I also use Daiwa Samuri braid. With the PLine CXX if you stay with 15# test and less it is manageable. CXX is a very strong low stretch copolymer line.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 12:16 AM

I have braid on a few rods. Use a leader as needed.

Use YoZuri, CX or CXX for everything else.

Tried several brands of fluoro, not worth the extra money for me.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
There are plenty of people that still just use Trilene and Stren mono and catch a lot of fish

The advantages of braid mainline to different leaders can be very convincing
—saves money. Braid lasts a long,long time, especially if you are using leaders (straight braid for frogs and punching thick vegetation)
—saves time: much quicker to change out a leader vs respooling
—improves sensitivity with very low stretch braid (especially with budget friendly rod blanks)
—improves hookset quality (especially at the end of a long cast due to very low stretch)

Guilty....I are one of those Stren mono guys. Have spooled braid on a couple reels for specific applications. Like it when wading the flats too.
Posted By: Hail Boy

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 12:53 AM

I still use Ande Backcountry.... on everything
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 01:20 AM

fatsu only for floro for me, I buy it off ebay theres a guy thats been listing 15/20 for $130 a roll THATS a steal.....

Tatsu has so little memory youll re spool less often. I do have all shallow spool reels or have them filled enough and taped to make them shallow. I have some reels spooled from last year about this time still and even a few from the year before at this time... Mostly crank bait spinner bait rods I dont use much etc. The memory comes out after a catch or two or just tie it off and pull it really tight and its like new line.

I use daiwa samurai braid for frogs 70lb.

Daiwa j8 20/30 lb for spinning rods in bright yellow or green with floro tatsu 10-12-15 leader.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 04:44 AM

\\My favorite line is a COPOLYER called McCoys Mean Greem/ I use it for nearly all situations. Almost no memory, tough and slick and goes thru the water very well. It iis not nearly as expensive as flouro and using 17 lb test, I can pull the boat around too pull my lure back up. Cost is more than mono, but not nearly as expensive as flouro. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: STUNTGRUNTLURES

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 02:25 PM

WELL I SEE THERE IS ALOT OF CHOICES & COMMENTS THANKS... HERES WHAT I HAVE CHOOSEN...seaguar invizx 15 lb, suffix performance braid in 30 lb & 50lb..... Berkley trilene fluorocarbon 20lb leader line & some trilene xt 15 lb.... ordered from dicks sporting goods 25% off on cyber Monday deal... now got alittle extra money from savings... what to buy now?????? hopin I made good choices????
Posted By: forkduc

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 02:41 PM

In the process of putting Big Game on album my c rig rod, where I use braid as my base line.
Posted By: katjim

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 03:05 PM

I use 65lb braid on my frog rod...I thinks it's suffix 832. If I a fishing a lake with heavy cover I use 17 and 20lb Pline CXX. I also us Pline CX 15lb on a lot of my rods. I do have flourocarbon on my big crank rod. Tried several different brands and don't really like any of them....buts it's on there still lol.

Inshore saltwater plastics rod 30lb braid windtamer usually. Spoons and tops rod Pline CX 15lb
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/03/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by STUNTGRUNTLURES
WELL I SEE THERE IS ALOT OF CHOICES & COMMENTS THANKS... HERES WHAT I HAVE CHOOSEN...seaguar invizx 15 lb, suffix performance braid in 30 lb & 50lb..... Berkley trilene fluorocarbon 20lb leader line & some trilene xt 15 lb.... ordered from dicks sporting goods 25% off on cyber Monday deal... now got alittle extra money from savings... what to buy now?????? hopin I made good choices????

You're in good shape!
Posted By: FalconLakeFishing

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/04/19 05:14 AM

I switched from Seaguar to Hi-Seas on all my fluoro reels. The differences I've found....
- Castability is awesome whether its frigid or drop out hot
- Durability is RIDICULOUSLY better. Being that I guide on Falcon and I need my clients line to be exfremely strong, I've finally found a line that can withstand the demanding conditions
- Strength is unmatched by any other line I've used

Power Pro for my braid set ups.
Posted By: BigVes

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/04/19 05:34 AM

Hate mono and don't use it due to the line stretch. I've lost too many fish on long casts with mono and not being able to get a solid hook set because of the stretch. Power Pro braid and Sunline Sniper for flouro. I have used a LOT of the flouro brands out there and IMO nothing compares to the strength, abrasion resistance, handling and longevity of Sunline sniper. Wait for the TW 20% off sales and buy a 660+ yard spool. Will not be disappointed
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/04/19 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FalconLakeFishing
I switched from Seaguar to Hi-Seas on all my fluoro reels. The differences I've found....
- Durability is RIDICULOUSLY better. Being that I guide on Falcon and I need my clients line to be exfremely strong, I've finally found a line that can withstand the demanding conditions

What do you use for backing if anything?
Posted By: LFA17

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/04/19 01:25 PM

Sunline super fluorocarbon
Suffix 832/Big Game Mono for Carolina
Posted By: wrfluke75

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/04/19 06:56 PM

Power Pro braid (30lb-80lb) for frogging and punching, Sunline Shooter Defier Armilo mono for topwater (17lb-19lb), Seaguar Invisx (12lb-25lb) for everything else.

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by FalconLakeFishing

So you’re a guide on Falcon and have abandoned fluoro all together for Hi-Seas Grand Slam?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 02:39 AM

I use mostly Suffix 832 braid on everything except for my crankbait rods which are spooled with Sunline Sniper. Recently started playing with 20# Sniper for flipping. Still not sold on it over braid but I'm forcing myself to give it some more time to see if I change my mind on it.
Posted By: MichaelP247

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 03:52 AM

Didn't see anyone post about Maxima ultragreen yet. I don't use it as a mono mainline but all my rods have suffix braid with ultragreen leader, unless its frogs or pitching with straight braid.
I went basically the whole season last year without having to switch out my braid, plus its just damn expensive. It does take a little getting used to with tying leader knots and difference in sensitivity.

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 04:31 AM

Been using Maxima Ultragreen in 20lb test (got a huge spool last year at 50% off)
Great line. Less memory than the CXX I usually use, but not quite as strong I also think it’s a little stealthier than CXX.

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 03:34 PM

Been using Maxima Ultragreen in 20lb test (got a huge spool last year at 50% off)
Great line. Less memory than the CXX I usually use, but not quite as strong I also think it’s a little stealthier than CXX.

So do you use fluoro at all?

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 04:32 PM

If I'm going to a very clear lake, I'll put it on a drop shot rod.
I like how fluoro feels on weightless presentations also (wacky worm/neko/etc), but it kinks too easily for my liking and I don't like to baby sit fishing line.

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 06:45 PM

Don’t you use braid with a leader a lot?

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/05/19 06:55 PM

Yes, and when I do use fluoro, it's braid to fluoro.

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/06/19 05:00 AM

Yes, and when I do use fluoro, it's braid to fluoro.

That's what I thought. Sometimes I think I am way overthinking line. It may be the most overthought thing in fishing.
Posted By: bobrfishes

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/09/19 05:00 PM

Power Pro Braid
Big Game
That’s all that’s needed
Posted By: doctorb

Re: FISHING LINE - 12/09/19 08:06 PM

I'd say just use what you feel comfortable with. I personally use mostly braid for worm/jig fishing. I will also use it some with topwaters especially frogs. I use mono for most everything else. It's the best to cast IMO. I personally do not like fluorocarbon. I just don't like the way it handles and for the most part is not going to catch more fish. I fish with guys all the time throwing fluoro and they aren't catching any more fish than I do. I don't think it matters that much really.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum