Texas Fishing Forum

R.I.P. David Campbell

Posted By: Rube G.

R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 11:10 AM

Rest in Peace old friend.

https://www.carroll-lehr.com/obitua..._eePxO1SI0RbwcVZIaTyaQcCMM#/obituaryInfo
Posted By: squib

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 01:13 PM

I met him several times and spent a few hours with him on each occasion. He was passionate about his work and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Sorry to hear this. RIP.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 06:10 PM

really gonna miss you old friend. RIP David
Posted By: vmfisherman

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 06:36 PM

RIP peace David!!!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 07:33 PM

Prayers sent to family and friends.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 07:53 PM

Mourning the loss of a genuine Texas legend.

David helped develop understanding, education and management of largemouth bass in Texas. Lake Fork was his playground. Mr. Campbell was fond of pure-strain florida bass. Boy did it show as those original fish and their offspring matured. All over the state texas

In my opinion, David Campbell, and all those in TPWD's freshwater fisheries programs, advanced Bob Kemp's hopes and dreams. To a point beyond what Mr. Kemp imagined, when he brought that first group of Florida Largemouth fingerlings to Texas. On a Cessna 170 something.

Rest in peace, old friend. You were one of a kind. The best kind.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 08:05 PM

Never met David but in my mind, he was a true Texas legend. Rest in peace and prayer to the family.
Posted By: Darrell

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 08:56 PM

what a shock and so sorry to hear..had a passion and did so much for lunker program in Texas..will be missed
Posted By: GLBoutdoors

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 08:58 PM

Thanks for the post.

David was one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met. He was a huge reason Texas has enjoyed so many double-digit bass in the past four decades.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 09:17 PM

RIP....sorry to hear this.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/01/19 10:46 PM

Met him at the Tyler hatchery just after they started the SAL and he had a heavy 13 in a large tank that he was getting ready to do surgery on her jaw ligaments. He told me always support a big fish and don't just hold her by the jaw as it would stretch the ligaments and that they couldn't catch their prey as easy.
Very nice guy and sorry to hear, Prayers to the family
Posted By: pop r

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/02/19 12:13 AM

David made Texas bass fishing what it is today. Thank you David! RIP David!!! angel2
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/02/19 01:32 AM

David was a First Class Man. He will truly be missed.
Posted By: DOUBLE T

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/02/19 03:37 PM

I lived near the orginal old Fish Hatchery in Tyler and first met David there when the SAL program was only a concept. He shared a wealth of info with a novice like me. Showed me the F12 florida strain bass they were just starting to stock in Texas waters. Aways had time to visit and answer questions. Really a Nice Nice Guy. What Great contributions he made to the Growth of Fish and Fishing in Texas. Thanks David Campbell.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/02/19 09:06 PM

I've had the pleasure to meet him and briefly vist with him several times over the years. It was clear to see his passion and I'm very greatful for his contributions to Texas and the big bass world.He was truly a nice man who loved what he did. R.I.P. David Campbell.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/03/19 09:40 PM

He came to speak at many Irving Bass Club meetings and it was always a pleasure to hear him speak about the program...
Posted By: GLBoutdoors

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/05/19 01:27 AM

David Campbell with other bass fishing legends at a TBBU (Texas Black Bass Unlimited) fundraiser years ago.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MDM

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/05/19 03:15 AM

Wow, I have been busy with other things this week and was shocked to see this post.

Thanks GLB for posting those old TBBU Banquet pics, hadn’t seen them in many years.

As several have already commented, David was one of the nicest gentlemen I have ever known and made so many contributions to the high quality bass fishing which TP&W developed in Texas. I would bet several states tried to lure him away to run a big bass program in their state.

In addition to visiting with him at fishing industry functions I had the pleasure of calling him to come pick up a couple of Share A Lunker bass from the KCKL Cedar Creek tournaments of the 1990s (14.65 in 1993 and 13.30 in 1996). As far as I know the 14.65 is still the lake record. On that one I called David at 5:00 on a Sunday afternoon and he dropped what he was doing and personally came to pick up the bass and return to the Tyler Hatchery where the SAL Program started.

Thank you David for the man you were and the contributions you made. Texas anglers of today and the future are your beneficiaries.
Posted By: Rog

Re: R.I.P. David Campbell - 12/05/19 10:05 AM

Mr Campbell doing what he did. Grateful for his work, the opportunity to meet and chat with him, and donate back to the program under his watch. RIP

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum