Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Threading Device? Really?

Posted By: Hair Jig

Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 05:23 PM

Was watching Jimmy Horton a bit this morning and he just advertised a "Rod Threading Device" that threads the line through the guides . . . . . "So you don't miss one".

Are we THAT senile? roflmao Just goes to show that a sportsman will buy most ANYTHING. hammer
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Was watching Jimmy Horton a bit this morning and he just advertised a "Rod Threading Device" that threads the line through the guides . . . . . "So you don't miss one".

Are we THAT senile? roflmao Just goes to show that a sportsman will buy most ANYTHING. hammer

"Senile" has nothing to do with it...being able to see does. OMG
Posted By: katjim

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 05:38 PM

I am blind up close as I get older it's getting worse. If I forget my glasses in the truck I can barley see to tie a damn knot lol. Even harder to thread through some of the small guides I build my rods with. Might start using bigger guideshahaha

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

"Senile" has nothing to do with it...being able to see does. OMG

Reading glasses?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 05:53 PM

I think it was designed locally. For the guys that lose some vision over the years I think its a tool some may have a need for. I know when I hit about 45 my eyesight got worse literally overnight. One say it was fine, next not so much. I carry readers in the boat butothers may want the device. Especially with microguide setups.
Posted By: SC 210

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 06:00 PM

I'm just about to the point where I need binoculars to see the line to tie a knot or feed line through the guides
Posted By: LeonSulak

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 06:00 PM

I saw a guy selling one at SOT this year. I almost bought it.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 07:50 PM

Don’t think they work on micro guides though. I heard they were working on one that will.
Posted By: Tundra/Tyler

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 09:21 PM

Just wait. You make remarks now and in time you’ll be one that buying this. I’ve fished for 40 of my 46 years and overnight it becomes a chore to do the simple task of tying a knot or threading you line through the guides. If it works for some, so be it. Anything to make things easier. It’s just another tool.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 09:25 PM

https://youtu.be/JTXNTez74ls

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra/Tyler
Just wait. You make remarks now and in time you’ll be one that buying this. I’ve fished for 40 of my 46 years and overnight it becomes a chore to do the simple task of tying a knot or threading you line through the guides. If it works for some, so be it. Anything to make things easier. It’s just another tool.

NO .... I won't buy it. And I already have eyesight issues at age 65. I wear contact lenses every day. I need reading glasses to read anything. But I always have my reading glasses on me. Always. They're as much a part of my daily routine as anything else.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone here (as I obviously did from the defensive remarks). No harm intended.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 11:10 PM

I bought one and keep it with my line and spooling stuff in my truck. So the last several times I changed reels was in the boat.

Eyesight up close ins't that good. Need to buy another.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/29/19 11:57 PM

I just watched the video. Heck yeah I would get one if the price is right. My eyesight had gotten bad and trying to thread a rod with light braid on the boat with wind can get frustrating. Especially when I'm stretching to reach the ends. Let go for a second and it's topped out. I always carried my readers with me until I forgot them or they feel into the lake. Not to mention get it all done and tie on a lie then realize that i missed one.

Wish I had thought about it.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 12:26 AM

If you don't need or want this product why comment and act indignant about it. Just trying to figure these things out.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 12:38 AM

I’m blind on one eye and can’t see out of the other.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 12:42 AM

I just bought one of these for $22.49 from Dick's Spt Gds. Black Friday discount and 5% Rakuten refund.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 12:46 AM

They work and have met the inventor that is local. Kelly Jordan and Dave Mercer are partners in this business as well. It may seem silly but definitely works and cuts down time. How may times have you missed a guide then tied on to realize after a few cast you missed one? It’s a good product, and great idea. He had a booth next to us last year so I learned plenty about it over three days.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 02:04 AM

i bought the banjo minnow , so ,, i will probably have one of these
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 03:00 AM

Jimmy Horton? I’ve heard of Timmy Horton
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 04:30 AM

I was given one the mentioned devices and it works very well and quick and easy.
Posted By: Fireturtle75

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by BillS2006

That's nifty. I don't need one yet, but if my hands get any worse than they are it would be handy to have.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Don’t think they work on micro guides though. I heard they were working on one that will.

LOL that's the one they need it for the most. I have to really concentrate on that type guide system when threading new line through it.

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 01:43 PM

I like it. Seems like i'm rethreading rods all the time. Perfect new tool for me, although those that know me know that I am a tackle and tool junky. Have been for years. Tools and tackle, never can have too much. LOL

Erupt online----- holiday special------buy one get one free. I just placed my order.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 01:44 PM

I am about to start carrying these so I can tie lures easier, all I use is a palomar and gettin older means anything that helps is good.

[Linked Image] grin
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 03:47 PM

I bought one for micro guides from tackle warehouse a couple of years ago, works great for this old man. When I can remember where I put it.LOL

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 11/30/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra/Tyler

NO .... I won't buy it. And I already have eyesight issues at age 65. I wear contact lenses every day. I need reading glasses to read anything. But I always have my reading glasses on me. Always. They're as much a part of my daily routine as anything else.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone here (as I obviously did from the defensive remarks). No harm intended.

No offense taken Hair Trig. I carried readers everyday for about 12 years until my eye Doc moved me to different contacts. Change was made so that right eye is distance and left is up close to read. Took a few days to get used to the change but I like not having to keep up with readers and taking off my sunglassess just to tie a knot. Now I do not require readers for most up close tasks but tying knots and threading rods in low light is a challenge still.
Posted By: dr14

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 02:47 AM

I'd buy one if it works on micro guides, it's that eyesight thing for me
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 02:57 AM

My eyes are so bad I've thought about hiring a deck hand to tie knots and string up rods.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 04:08 AM

If you don't need it then don't buy it. Market forces will decide if it's useful or not. Very simple.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 04:10 AM

It's all fun and games till you make a cast and it goes 10 ft cuz you missed a eye
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by dr14
I'd buy one if it works on micro guides, it's that eyesight thing for me

"The RTD does not work on Micro or similar small size rod guides".
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by bradnitro175
It's all fun and games till you make a cast and it goes 10 ft cuz you missed a eye

Or it goes 110 ft. through the woods, clipping limbs until it's out of hearing distance, because you just THOUGHT you tied a good knot.

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/01/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
Originally Posted by bradnitro175

Or it goes 110 ft. through the woods, clipping limbs until it's out of hearing distance, because you just THOUGHT you tied a good knot.

roflmao so true...and relatable.
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/02/19 12:40 AM

Too many of my rods are microguides or I think at age 47 I would have one. You can miss a guide or I have had it where I end up through the little arm holding the guide then a few short casts later I see torn up line.
Posted By: cob

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/02/19 02:55 AM

I’ll be 73 this month. Strung more rods then most. Eyes bad, hands shakes. Just ordered two. One for my friend that goes to Canada with me every year. I believe they will really help with my fly rods.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/02/19 08:03 PM

I believe that KJ came up with this and brought it to market.

Haven't bought one yet but it's coming...
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/02/19 08:31 PM

Buy one get one free

https://erupt-fishing.myshopify.com/products/rtd-rod-threading-device
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/02/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney2100

Nice thanks. I ordered two... I have missed a guide or gone in the brace quite a bit lately. Ill try this. One for the rv one for the boat.

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/03/19 12:13 AM

I ordered two from Erupt on Saturday and they came in the mail today.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Rod Threading Device? Really? - 12/03/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillS2006

With 73 year old eyes and bad fingers this looks great, here's hoping it works just bought one. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum