Texas Fishing Forum

Aquilla

Posted By: Stratos2011

Aquilla - 11/20/19 04:23 PM

Has anyone fished Aquilla? Any good?
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Aquilla - 11/20/19 05:57 PM

I did a job there a few years back. Rented a boat storage and brought out the boat. Fished the afternoons and weekends. It was about this time of year. I did pretty good on bass. Better on crappie. Lots of timber in that lake! I fished around the dam area. Most everything I caught was on crank baits and spinner baits.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Aquilla - 11/20/19 07:36 PM

It was great years ago. I haven't fished it in a long time but I'm sure some TFFer will chime in.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Aquilla - 11/20/19 08:09 PM

Its not a very good bass lake you can catch a few but dont expect to have a steller day. I live close to it and havent fished there in about 10 years
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Aquilla - 11/23/19 02:56 AM

Was a Great Lake for bass now not so much. Tpwd hasn’t stocked it since it was impounded.
Like to know why Tpwd abandoned the lake
J D
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Aquilla - 11/23/19 09:18 AM

TPWD might have abandoned the lake as far as stocking and upkeep, but they definitely still make it out there to write tickets!! My girls and I were out there and came off plane outside the no wake zone by the boat ramp ( about 150 yds out). We got the boat squared away putting away tackle and rods. I started the big motor and idled in. My oldest didn't throw on her vest.... Ticket. They were doing their job but it still made my neck hairs stand up a bit. And yes, I behaved myself anyway.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Aquilla - 11/23/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
TPWD might have abandoned the lake as far as stocking and upkeep, but they definitely still make it out there to write tickets!! My girls and I were out there and came off plane outside the no wake zone by the boat ramp ( about 150 yds out). We got the boat squared away putting away tackle and rods. I started the big motor and idled in. My oldest didn't throw on her vest.... Ticket. They were doing their job but it still made my neck hairs stand up a bit. And yes, I behaved myself anyway.

Don’t get me started about the wardens patroling that lake.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Aquilla - 11/23/19 02:42 PM

Been there a bunch and never had a problem. Back in July was there and of the 10 bass I put my hand on none were dinks. a few hit the 5lb mark.

Re: Aquilla - 11/24/19 02:08 AM

Wonder why they have not restocked lake?
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Aquilla - 11/24/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

can you say GOVERNMENT
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Aquilla - 11/24/19 08:49 PM

I consider it my home lake and its not very good anymore, I will pass on by to whitney instead. There are some old timers that still catch some big fish there but its not a numbers lake for sure, its kind of a mud hole now that theres not anymore grass much, it is a good crappie lake though. Seems to me the state needs to stock it bad but I've heard from there electro surveys they don't think they need to [Linked Image]

Re: Aquilla - 11/24/19 08:53 PM

Be sure to have your Nav lights on if loading at the ramp at dusk, 'ol Doug does his job but wish he didn't have to be such an A-hole about it.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Aquilla - 11/25/19 12:28 AM

thumb
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Aquilla - 11/25/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Legend LE-195

Be sure to have your Nav lights on if loading at the ramp at dusk, 'ol Doug does his job but wish he didn't have to be such an A-hole about it.

Yeh. He’s a hard [censored] for sure.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Aquilla - 11/25/19 12:49 PM

Guessing you were loading up at dusk and the only one on the water at the ramp and didn’t have your lights on? Classic.
Posted By: boyd1002

Re: Aquilla - 11/25/19 02:37 PM

Legend - you may be right that Aquila doesnt have quite the quantity it used to... but rest assured that the quality is definitely still there. Maybe not the number of double digit fish as in the past, but there were a bunch of 7-9lb fish caught this year.
Posted By: guntz67

Re: Aquilla - 11/25/19 07:01 PM

Caught my PB out there 12.44 lbs

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
Guessing you were loading up at dusk and the only one on the water at the ramp and didn’t have your lights on? Classic.

No wasn't me, just know he lurks at the ramp writing tickets all the time. He's me checked many a time and did get me for no throwable PFD once, I said why can't I just throw one of those FOUR life jackets I have in the box, he didn't think that was funny.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 04:41 AM

What a waste of resources to have a game warden staking out Aquilla of all lakes.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by harvey walker
Originally Posted by basscaster46

can you say GOVERNMENT

Can you say fish surveys?

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 06:36 PM

Aquila is a great bass lake.....back in the late 80’s when I was fishing it when it still had leaves on the trees! “Going to be the next Fork”!
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 07:15 PM

Aquila is a great bass lake.....back in the late 80’s when I was fishing it when it still had leaves on the trees! “Going to be the next Fork”!

Whatever.... someone might actually take this seriously! Aquilla is a mudhole.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 11:03 PM

The state doesn't need to restock it. It's full of good size bass.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Aquilla - 11/26/19 11:39 PM

According to the lake survey there are too many undersized bass.

Re: Aquilla - 11/27/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSkeeter13

Whatever.... someone might actually take this seriously! Aquilla is a mudhole.
Maybe I worded my sarcasm wrong. laugh “was back in the 80’s”. And wasn’t bad 10 yrs ago when it was full of hydrilla.

Re: Aquilla - 11/27/19 02:05 AM

In the eighties and early nineties was a Great Lake .
Tried to fish it at least twice a week.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum