Texas Fishing Forum

Square bill crank for time of year

Posted By: Synstars

Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 06:41 PM

Hello, I have been using a 1.5” and 2.5” square bill by KVD and was curious how everyone has been fishing them this time of year. I had been doing steady retrieves at a moderate pace as well as twitch retrieves in the ponds and lakes. Only caught a few bass and surprising to me an 30”+ alligator gar and was wondering if a slow retrieve would be better this time of year.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 07:02 PM

It has less to do with the time of year than the other factors and intagibles. Weather patterns, water temp., barometric pressure, sunny, cloudy, light penetration in the body of water you are fishing, and time of day all play a factor.

Varied retrieves until you find what the fish want is a good way to start. There is no '1 retrieve' (or bait) that will trigger strikes in fall or any other season for that matter but you can refine the puzzle based on what is in front of you.

As the water temps decline a slower retrieve may work more consistently on less aggressive fish. One thing is certain...you will never know if you don't go!
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 07:37 PM

I'd try a much faster/aggressive retrieve. Honestly, I'd try other squarebills though. If you really like the KVD, get some silent versions. Otherwise, invest in some flatsided baits like the Spro little john. Ima Bill Lowen squarebill, and 6th sense 50x are some other good ones.
Posted By: rickys

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 07:42 PM

I second the 6th sense; very nice!!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 07:47 PM

Honestly I burn and crash shallow cranks 24/7. CB is my favorite way to fish and I only vary retrieves when targeting 18-20+ fow.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 10:07 PM

Size matters too depending on what size the shad they are chasing. Sometimes the KVDs are a bit big and I'll fish something smaller if not getting bit on the KVD.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by rickys
I second the 6th sense; very nice!!

+1

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 10:14 PM

I have been doing better with the KVD 1.0 than the 1.5 because the shad I have seen lately are very small.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 10:34 PM

I am on the opposite end of things. I normally give the lure a moderate retrieve with frequent pauses. Has worked well for me in ponds and lakes. Sometimes speed it up, sometimes slow it down, let the fish tell you. with the rapid retrieve, you get the more active fish, but in my experience, not more fish. Mine tend to be medium size on the fast retrieve, but to each his own. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/07/19 10:49 PM

I experiment with the retrieve to see how the fish respond to it best that day. I guess I don't have a standard retrieve.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Square bill crank for time of year - 11/08/19 02:52 AM

For ponds, size is important. When I used to fish the same pond all the time I would use a KVD 1.5 and had limited success. Then I downsized to a bomber square A. Turned into one of my best and consistent techniques.

The biggest key to a squarebill anytime of the year and when the bass are a little more finicky is deflection. Any shallow hard cover (wood, rocks, dock pilings) are great targets. Pick a target and make the same cast 5-10 times, then change your casting angle if you’re able to. You’re trying to get the fish to react. I usually use a steady retrieve here, and experiment with speed.

They work in submerged grass too, just have to play with the retrieve speed until you know exactly how fast you can reel it through without bogging it down. If it’s more open water cover I use a stop and go retrieve more often than not.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum