Texas Fishing Forum

Spawn at power plant lakes.

Posted By: Chris_K

Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 01:58 AM

I want to hit the spawn on PP lakes this year. Which had the best clarity for sight fishing and when about do they spawn? TIA
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 02:07 AM

Aint many power plant lakes around these days.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 05:10 AM

They can start in Dec. use to find bedding fish on Monti in Dec in certain areas when plant was running.
Posted By: Chug-bug-bang1

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 07:40 AM

Welsh ~ mid to late December thru April
Martin creek ~ mid to late December thru April
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 12:28 PM

Bass on power plant lakes will spawn every full moon if the water temps get down in the lower 70's. They also will spawn a lot deeper than a regular lake because they don't need the warmth of the sun.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 02:06 PM

Wasn't on a power plant lake,but cleaned 5 small fish yesterday for a fish fry and 2 of them had eggs. Strange
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 02:09 PM

Pirky Point(Brandy Branch) they'll start in mid Dec. Water is usually super clear(5' + visibility). Martin Creek usually around the same time frame. Not as clear as Pirky though.
Posted By: big mike

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 05:34 PM

Not strange at all. Most fish have eggs in November and December. Doesn't mean they're spawning.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Spawn at power plant lakes. - 11/06/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Bass on power plant lakes will spawn every full moon if the water temps get down in the lower 70's. They also will spawn a lot deeper than a regular lake because they don't need the warmth of the sun.

Not sure on the water temp portion of this but I can tell that I witnessed in 3 straight years on Monti a Summer time spawn way up North in July. It was when the main lake temps would be in the upper 90's to low 100's. The fish would migrate way North where the temps would be closer to 90. We always thought it was just the fish chasing the shad that were trying to find cooler temps but then we saw a ton of bass fry a few weeks after.

To the OP, when Monti was a power plant lake, I always considered pre-spawn late October - mid to late December then the spawn from late December - early March. Ahhh...the good ole days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum