Texas Fishing Forum

Rod breaks and you don’t know why.

Posted By: haleywp

Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/05/19 07:54 PM

Here is a good article on rod breaks. If you have been fishing any length of time you have had a rod break and could not tell why. Sometimes we blame the manufacture, be it a company or a custom rod builder, other than what might have truly been the cause. This article discusses most of the issues that might cause a rod to break. One thing we see the professional anglers do is remove the hook and drop the rod to get the fish either on the scales or the live well. This is OK for them as they get rods from a sponsor and may not have to pay for them. The article is a little long but worth the read if you want to protect your rods.

Thanks
Pat Haley

https://northforkcomposites.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Rod_Break_Article.pdf
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/05/19 08:17 PM

That is a good article. They did their homework and picked 2 of the best in design to visit with.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/05/19 08:20 PM

Great article. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/05/19 08:42 PM

Everytime some drops a rod all I can think about is the graphite fibers breaking therefore weaking the rod.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/05/19 10:59 PM

Good stuff
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/05/19 11:31 PM

Great article! I didn't read the entire thing but one thing I've heard from Gary Dobyns is that everyone would be shocked if they actually knew all of the damage that can take place to rods while in a rod locker during a run down a rough lake which we all do several times a year. I've still only broken 3 rods in nearly 10 years.
Posted By: squib

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/06/19 02:36 PM

C-Rig weights banging against the blank on the deck or in the rod locker will destroy a blank. If I making a long drive, I will either remove the weight or wrap it in something. Even sliding your rod in a sock doesn't keep that weight from ticking away at the blank for hours.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/06/19 04:13 PM

Very well written article and thanks for sharing! Explains a lot. I've only had a couple of rods(knock on wood) break and one was def my fault for trying to swing a fish in that I shouldn't and short lined it letting all the weight hang on the tip before grabbing the fish.

Maybe an effort could be made on the boat manufacturers side to line the rod tubes with neoprene/felt/foam? I leave my rods in the sleeves while in the tubes but can see how that doesn't truly help. And i'm def guilty of leaving the c-rig weights on and that has to beat up on the rod.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/06/19 05:00 PM

Interesting article. Great read.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/06/19 05:33 PM

I think many are from the rod build process. Many times a builder will use an exacto knife to cut the thread while pressing the knife against the thread and rod to make the cut and if done hard enough it will leave a cut mark on the blank. Also, the builder will file the edges of the eye's foot and sometimes the sharp leading edge can have a burr that is turned down onto the blank that will eventually dig in, this area then gets wrapped over and epoxied.... ever had a rod break for seemingly no reason right at the eye in the thread wrapped area?
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Rod breaks and you don’t know why. - 11/07/19 04:35 PM

I've had so many rods break after I whack grass off a trap and clip the gunnel, then later that day, or a week later "pop".... right where the rod contacted the gunnel
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum