Texas Fishing Forum

Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts

Posted By: TheThirstyMoose

Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/04/19 02:25 PM

I have gone up to Lake Conroe 3 or so times to do a bit of shore fishing and each time I have struck out. I generally hit up the Cagle Recreational Area and walk along the shore both north and south. I have used Crankbaits, spinners, and jigs but have gotten little to no serious bites. I don't have access to a boat or Kayak so I am limited to shore walking. Is there a better area or a different technique that folks could recommend or am I doomed to drive an hour just to lose a lure or two to the logs?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/04/19 02:31 PM

I've only been on Conroe once, but it's probably about like any other lake in Texas. Unless it's spring time or low light conditions, bites on the shoreline are gonna be tougher most of the time unless there's bait and/or cover to hold the bass in the area you're fishing. If those areas have none of that (other than a couple of logs...which by the way if that's the ONLY cover in that area...there should be a bass somewhere near!) then your best bet to catch em may be a senko or wacky rig. You'll lose less of those and probably will get more bites. Hope this helps!!
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/04/19 03:25 PM

Not much public bank area to fish around Conroe.
I see a lot of guys fish from the rock on the east side of the 1097 bridge, usually some bass in
that area. Maybe the rock area around the little bridge at Stowaway
Posted By: C130

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/04/19 03:59 PM

That’s generally a pretty good area to fish along the bank if you're down by the Cagle boat ramp and fish all along the bank north abeam the camp sites.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/04/19 04:30 PM

I used to launch at Scotts Ridge and there was some shoreline access there. A ton of fish get released at stowaway so I agree with the rocks there under the bridge.
Posted By: undercover

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/05/19 02:59 AM

There is some limited bank access behind the CVS Pharmacy on 105. Try a shakey head around the pilings and along the bulk head. Have caught some there from the boat but there are plenty of targets within casting distance from the bank. Good luck.
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/05/19 01:51 PM

Don't feel bad man, I have only caught 2 fish in my life on that lake. I have fished the lake 4 times and went from one end to another …..dodging big boats and bigger waves. I have decided that I just cant catch a fish on that lake. The lake hates me.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/05/19 04:42 PM

Here's a link to a map of SHNF park roads (see page 1) there are several that go down to the water. Also the 1375 bridge is a favorite among shore walkers especially during the spawn. You may not get much love during the spring from guys on the water as the area becomes a zoo at times for boat positioning. You can park anywhere along 1375 except on the bridge. The west side has good access but you may have to get your feet wet. The smaller 1097 bridge across Little Lake Creek used to have access on the south side. There was a non listed dirt boat ramp here at one time with lots of public shore line.

The tough part about the SHNF right now is that it's deer and duck season so you may want to avoid those park roads for now.

As to technique I will go small on my all baits.

SHNF Roads
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/05/19 09:40 PM

not much help, but the lake is low and bank fishing on Conroe is hard in a boat or not right now. I use to fish the Cagle area from the bank and the water level makes a huge difference.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/10/19 05:13 PM

Stowaway, 1097 bridge and even up around stubblefield. But like it was said, not much action in the shallower areas, especially with the lake at 199'.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/10/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TxRanger1
Don't feel bad man, I have only caught 2 fish in my life on that lake. I have fished the lake 4 times and went from one end to another …..dodging big boats and bigger waves. I have decided that I just cant catch a fish on that lake. The lake hates me.

Same here, i keep trying and i keep getting skunked, It definitely hates me too . I'll figure out something consistent eventually.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Conroe Shore Fishing Strikouts - 11/10/19 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterHunter
Originally Posted by TxRanger1

Same here, i keep trying and i keep getting skunked, It definitely hates me too . I'll figure out something consistent eventually.

Don't beat yourselves up fellas, Conroe hate A LOT of folks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum