Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone catch big fish with dropshot?

Posted By: desertfisherman

Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:39 PM

Title says it all.... i catch numbers. but what do i do to catch big fish?
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:41 PM

Like you, just numbers no bigguns yet.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:44 PM

23.75" slot fish on Fork is my biggest on a classic light-line drop-shot.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:45 PM

I have caught Bass up to 7lbs. on a dropshot at Fork, using flukes and full size trick worms seem to help attract the bigger fish. Still many of the larger ones have bitten finesse type baits.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:46 PM

No
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:52 PM

All the time! Several fish over 10 lbs. and my wife and I normally catch anywhere from 5-10 fish a year over 8 lbs. on it.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:53 PM

100% yes , a D-shot can catch big fish . 11.2lbs and 9lbs are my biggest with plenty of 5's and 6's . All my big ones have come using a 5" or 6" Senko , wacky style . Usually have a 12-16" leader .
Most of my bigger fish come around the weeds and less than 15 feet of water . When I first started throwing Dshot's ,it was deeper water and nose rigging a Robo worm , never got any big ones that way .
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 03:59 PM

I'm unaware of any drop shot technique used to target big bass, other than fishing it where the big bass are. That's not meant to be snarky.

Additionally, I've caught big bass on drop shot in times and places where it made sense to catch a big bass on drop shot. Example, I'm personally not going to throw drop shot in the shallows in the spring. There are other more effective ways to catch big fish then. But take a sunny day in July or August when the bite is slow, fishing pressure is high, and the big fish are tired of seeing 10 inch power worms? They just might be tempted to take an easier and less threatening meal.

To be clear, I haven't caught any giants on drop shot (haven't caught many of those in general anyway), but I've caught plenty of 5 to 9 pound fish on drop shot. There are some lakes where I have more confidence in drop shot to catch a good sized fish than any other, but they tend to be lakes that a) have good sized fish to begin with, b) are pressured fisheries, and c) tend to have more off-shore structure (and cover) as opposed to lots of grass in the shallows.

I'm sure someone else will come along with more insight, but that's how I see it.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by COWBOYSFAN008
Like you, just numbers no bigguns yet.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 04:10 PM

Caught 28 pounds in a individual tournament on a drop shot in February, big fish was around 9
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 04:32 PM

caught an over a couple years ago on a drop shot. But it broke my rod. Could have had a problem from being stepped on.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
caught an over a couple years ago on a drop shot. But it broke my rod. Could have had a problem from being stepped on.

did you hand line it in?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 05:47 PM

August 16th 2017 at Fork caught by Mark Watson 24.25" long and 9.92 lbs - came out of the blow hole
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 05:52 PM

Caught a 9.11 last summer at PK.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 05:55 PM

I personally have never caught anything bigger than 7lbs. [Linked Image]
Posted By: squib

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 06:08 PM

Caught a 23.75-inch bass in the Skeeter Tournament a few years ago on a zoom centipede on a dropshot. Other than that, I seldom break 3 lbs on one.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 06:31 PM

No but I don't spend enough time with it to catch one. I have seen big fish caught on drop shot. I don't enjoy it although I can't give a reason why. In my opinion catching big fish is more about how much time you put in than technique related. If you fish 5 days a week your chances of hooking a big one are far better than the one day I go regardless of which technique is used. You are going to catch many more smaller fish before landing a big fish throughout your fishing career even using big baits.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 06:52 PM

Yes sir...drop shot is not just a small fish / numbers rig.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 09:33 PM

Caught a couple of 6.5s and had one bigger on this year that broke me off because I forgot to readjust the drag and broke off my 10lb leader. Fish was > 7 < 9. Somewhere in that range. Personally if you aren't fishing d-shot you're leaving a very good technique off the table. The way the worm sets up parallel just waving in the current is outstanding. You're not limited to a 6" finess worm. I'll fish an 8" worm quite a bit and drop down to 6" if I'm not getting bites. My go to presentation when fishing deeper structure like bridges. Good for docks too in shallower water.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/01/19 10:11 PM

Nothing BIG. Caught a few eights on Fork with it
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 12:59 AM

Years ago I caught a 13 lber on it in Northern California. A couple of mid level tourney guys taught me how to fish it. They taught me to shake
the rod tip enough to make the worm dance without actually making it advance. Didn't work for me, I started deadsticking it and started catching some big ones.

10 lb flouro, #2 Owner downshot hook, Aaron's Magic 6" Roboworm is my favorite set up...by far.
Posted By: TexasPete

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 01:11 AM

beautiful catches guys and yes same here, lots of small shallow, but then I went to deeper even though bass were shallow feeding in the fall....I love the drop shot and stay small on worm size to get them to grab the eazy bait. nikki giants by any means but can usually pull a 6 or 7 without worry, I've even fished 2ftw with 12" leader and caught 7lber....u just never know till u try and work it every which way u can!!
Posted By: skins84

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 01:32 AM

It will catch what you get it in front of, including big ones .
Posted By: SnK1993

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 01:41 AM

Lost what was probably my personal best on a drop shot last week. She was at least 9 pounds and when she put her head down after jumping out of the water she snapped my knot like it was child's play. Dragging a 5 inch robo worm around ledges and brushpiles has caught me some decent fish
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 12:02 PM

haven't hooked a DD on a DS but several 5-8's
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 03:38 PM

Ask Mike Long lol.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/02/19 10:28 PM

Biggest bass I have caught on a DS is about 6.5lbs.. have caught other species bigger.. about an 8lb drum and a grass carp that was about 30" long.. didn't try to hoist that one into the john boat. Its a good technique for catching fish and if there are big ones where you are fishing they are just as likely to bite as anything else.

BD
Posted By: 361V

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/03/19 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherman13
Ask Mike Long lol.
He said CATCH not SNAG laugh
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/04/19 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by Fisherman13
Ask Mike Long lol.
He said CATCH not SNAG laugh

Lol yeah truth! Its just funny that his snag setup was similar to a drop shot.
Posted By: dustinj707

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/04/19 04:20 PM

Have caught numerous big fish off a drop shot. I do it a little different than most, but still technically a finesse technique. 1/0 wide gap hook with 4.75" straight tail finesse worm texas rigged on the hook. 10-16" leader. 10 lb floro. Bait caster. 6'10" medium rod. Set your drag right and you will be fine. Caught a 10.5 this year with 6 more above 6 lbs this summer. Yes you will catch a lot of dinks with it. If you find big fish they will bite it though. Drop shot is one of my top 2 favorite ways to fish. It just gets bit. Don't know how to post pics on the lap top, but if you saw a post earlier this year of two DD being caught in a day. One of those was off a drop shot.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Anyone catch big fish with dropshot? - 11/04/19 04:27 PM

I've never caught what most on here would consider a true giant on a drop shot but I have caught at least 100 fish between 5 and 8# on a drop shot in the last 6 years.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum