Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex stand went through the deck

Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 07:08 PM

I guess I didn't have the stand set tight enough to the deck and there was a gap that allowed it to bounce a bit. Made a rough run on Sunday and when I got where I was going I found that the stand had punched right through the deck and put a 1" wide circle hole in it.

Any suggestions on how to repair it and what I might brace that area with so it doesn't happen again?
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 07:13 PM

3" round aluminum plate screwed over the hole.
Posted By: LargeMouthTripp

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 07:44 PM

Can we get a pic?
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by herbsteiner

X2. It will never happen again
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 07:57 PM

I put these on my boat for the trolling motor and Talons on tilt brackets

[Linked Image]

It would probably be best to have a fiberglass shop repair the hole.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 08:32 PM

my 02 skeeter did the same thing, made a plate and screw over the hole.

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TxBazzn
Originally Posted by herbsteiner

X2. It will never happen again

I'll try that. That decksaver plate would've been a good preventative but won't work now that there's a hole there I'll have to use something bigger. I'll put an aluminum plate there. Thanks guys.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 08:58 PM

I would do a 2 inch .080 or .100 thousands thick aluminum plate, T6 hardness over the hole. That should be big enough. Paint it to match the carpet as close as you can and it should look fine.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/29/19 10:32 PM

I’d get the floor repaired first then a plate should work great. Never heard of one going through the deck my Ultrex on my old skeeter wasn’t perfect and would bounce slightly but never enough where it seemed excessive even in rough water
Posted By: Tjbev13

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/30/19 12:28 AM

Get a th marine troll tamer. Won’t ever be a issue again
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/30/19 12:39 AM

buy a troll tamer from TH marine it will make a huge difference in rough water and trailering

it saves the bushings in the bracket pivot since your trolling motor no longer bounces everywhere
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/01/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
buy a troll tamer from TH marine it will make a huge difference in rough water and trailering

it saves the bushings in the bracket pivot since your trolling motor no longer bounces everywhere

I found the remnants of one of my bushings on the deck the other day. Guess its time to tear it down and look for busted screws and rebuild the mount.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/01/19 02:35 PM

Just put a ss washer over the hole and UNDER the hole with a ss round allen head bolt in it. Be sure to use anti seize on the ss nut to bolt or it will gall up and may not tighten all the way.

If you set the kickstand that comes with the ultrex up with the correct tension on the deck your tm shaft will have a bow in it and be locked solid, no need for the strap or any aftermarket kick stand.
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/01/19 09:48 PM

This is the 4th time that I’ve recently heard about the Ultrex support punching through the deck. Aluminum plate will do the trick. I personally whatched the troll tamer rip the screws out of the deck. Sure sure if he had the depth of the support set just right, allowing the mount to lock, but this route is rigid to the boat. I would almost still want to added an aluminum plate to spread out the surface area.

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/01/19 10:01 PM

I did have the mount set so that it locked down against the deck originally, but the mount leg twisted over time and then allowed the slightest bit of play. That's all it took. (Well, that and some 20mph wind on Ray Hubbard)

I'm gonna put a metal plate over it and then I'll be good.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/02/19 01:31 AM

Not trying to start a bash-fest at all here but would you mind telling me what brand of boat you are running? PM me if concerned

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/02/19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Not trying to start a bash-fest at all here but would you mind telling me what brand of boat you are running? PM me if concerned

Its an older Skeeter. '99 sx176.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/02/19 01:35 PM

I went out and looked at my fortrex several times since this posted...
I'm standing here scratching my head trying to figure out how it could happen.
Posted By: SkeeterB

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/02/19 02:33 PM

I can’t seem to get mine from bumping up and down a little. When I tighten the leg close to the floor, the unit will not lock in. I have about a 1/4” of play. How can I fix this?

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 11/15/19 06:45 PM

1/4 inch isn't bad. Mine has about that. You can strap it down with the velcro strap, that might help out a little also.

Maybe glue a soft rubber piece to the stand. Mine came with a rubber cap but it kept falling off. I screwed in a metal plug with a larger surface area to mine and that has seemed to work ok so far.

Another option is to cut a round piece of aluminum 1 inch larger than your stand, drill a hole in the center of it, counter sink the hole, then attach it to the stand with a screw.
Posted By: otrdriver2002

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/11/22 02:53 AM

Seen a oval plate that had the word Skeeter milled out on it. Look good but I can find it now that I’m ready to order one. The man had several for different brand boats. Skeeter,Ranger,Nitro ECT. Anyone know how to find them
Posted By: petro

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/11/22 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tjbev13

This
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/11/22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by petro

This

X3!!!
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/11/22 06:07 PM

Did you strap it down when you are in rough water ?
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/11/22 07:38 PM

Amped Marine makes a little plate just for Skeeters for this
My buddy has one on his FX
Posted By: fish 4 5

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/11/22 11:46 PM

Mine did the same.2019 Skeeter FX. Even pushed the silver dollar deck plate thru the deck. Broke the pivot bracket on one side and went down far enough to take a chunk of fiberglass off the inside gunnel. I taped and poured fiberglass thru the hole and then a buddy made me a 1/4 " thick powder coat aluminum plate, maybe 4" diameter.. perfect now
Posted By: jbtackle

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/12/22 02:20 PM

you can go to skeeter apparell and buy one for 12.99 from them I bought mine from them
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/12/22 05:39 PM

All those arm support mounts get play in them, Another vote for Troll tamer.

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/15/22 12:50 PM

I now know of SIX boats this has happened to. All start with an "S" and end with an "R" with three "E's" in the middle.

If the deck is so thin that a rubber leg will go through them what does that tell you about the build quality??

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/15/22 07:56 PM

I now know of SIX boats this has happened to. All start with an "S" and end with an "R" with three "E's" in the middle.

If the deck is so thin that a rubber leg will go through them what does that tell you about the build quality??

Tells you don’t buy that year model.

Mine is tough enough that I, at 200 pounds, jumped down from a dock 6ft up, landing on the front deck….and not so much as a creek or crunch.

My “SR with three E’s” is built like a tank!
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/16/22 05:24 PM

the reason it went thru the deck is because the support was not adjusted right an allowed it to bang up an down in rough water .

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/20/22 12:15 AM

I barely have a flat spot in the carpet on my BassCat with my Ghost trolling motor.
Posted By: TopwaterTom

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/20/22 12:54 PM

I think you have a few issues going on here. First of all, your front deck is rotten if a stabilizer can push through it, so you need to replace that first. Secondly, I think you need to adjust your stabilizer so that it fits snuggly to the deck. Some trolling motors lock into place when stowed and some don't. if yours doesn't, then I would highly suggest you get the trolling motor tamer to lock it in place or just simply use the strap while you are driving the boat to prevent any unnecessary movement.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/20/22 01:59 PM

What TopwaterTom said... What year is your boat???... Dan

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/20/22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS

Its from 1983 to Present on that brand boat. Two of my buds have had the happen on their new ones

Not bashing. Just stating the facts.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/20/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS

Its from 1983 to Present on that brand boat. Two of my buds have had the happen on their new ones

Not bashing. Just stating the facts.

They didn’t have Fortrex style mounts in 1983, so in all fairness, boat manufacturers didn’t know they’d need to plan on a 100lb motor slamming the same 1in diameter repeatedly. As for the newer boats, I’d 100% blame the person installing the trolling motor. Nobody is harder in their [censored] than I am, and mine is perfect. Saying that, I installed it and adjusted it perfectly too.

Re: Ultrex stand went through the deck - 10/22/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TopwaterTom
I think you have a few issues going on here. First of all, your front deck is rotten if a stabilizer can push through it, so you need to replace that first. Secondly, I think you need to adjust your stabilizer so that it fits snuggly to the deck. Some trolling motors lock into place when stowed and some don't. if yours doesn't, then I would highly suggest you get the trolling motor tamer to lock it in place or just simply use the strap while you are driving the boat to prevent any unnecessary movement.

Fiberglass laminate does not rot. It may be too thin in that area but it is not rotten.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum