Texas Fishing Forum

Drop Shot Weight

Posted By: desertfisherman

Drop Shot Weight - 10/27/19 11:31 PM

Does it matter what type weight or what weight?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 12:22 AM

You want it on the bottom. I use 1/2 oz, if windy 5/8 oz
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 12:49 AM

I prefer the cylinder style and use the following sizes

Little to no wind and small bait 3-4", I'm using 1/32 or 1/16 oz
Wind and small bait 3-4", I'm using 1/4 or 3/16 oz

Bigger baits 4+", no matter the wind 3/16 - 1/2 oz
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 12:47 PM

Crappie weights work. Much cheaper.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 01:52 PM

cylinder pinch weight. 1/4 oz.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 03:05 PM

I used to just pour my own, buy the dew it mold, the lead (some tire shops will give it to you) and swivels... when it was cold out, it passed the time. But I was a firm believer in 1/8 and 3/16 with no wind, like it was blowing yesterday, 1/4 or 3/8
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
I prefer the cylinder style and use the following sizes

Little to no wind and small bait 3-4", I'm using 1/32 or 1/16 oz
Wind and small bait 3-4", I'm using 1/4 or 3/16 oz

Bigger baits 4+", no matter the wind 3/16 - 1/2 oz

Same here. cheers
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 04:50 PM

With the exception of aggressive smallmouth, most of the real good finesse fisherman will tell you the lighter, the better. I use 1/8 oz. majority of time
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 10:10 PM

I use lead weights.. I lose too many to use tungsten. Most of the time I use 3/8 oz because I can always feel the bottom with that weight. I use the round weights, but have some cylindrical. I can't tell much difference in which one gets hung more often.

BD
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 10:19 PM

Any of you guys fish the lakes around Austin where there's tons of rock? Any better type to keep from breaking off? I've only used the round ones. Let me rephrase...I've only lost the round ones.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 10:19 PM

I use tungsten 1/8 90 percent of the time it would have to get really windy or deep for me to use more.

Tungsten in nice you can feel it as soon as it starts to move on the bottom and let it drop again.

I use them as designed run my line thru the pinch keeper and tie a over hand knot in the end of the line, it always breaks at the knot so you only lose a inch per re tie approx.

http://www.omfishingsinkers.com/Tun...more-Delivery-time-9-11days_p-80522.html
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/28/19 11:33 PM

1/4 oz is my standard. Anything less, and I have a hard time feeling bottom. I'll jump up to 3/8 if video game fishing in 15 ft+ so that I can get it down to the fish faster.

I prefer Tungsten, but will certainly use lead, especially if fishing around rock (don't need as much sensitivity and plan to lose more).

I used to only use cylinder weights but have more recently used the tear drop style more with the intention of increasing sensitivity (not sure if it really makes a difference). I haven't noticed a difference in the rate at which I lose weights.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/29/19 12:00 AM

I've heard it's easier to see tear drop on 2d sonar. Tear drop hangs less than round. Cylinder hangs the least imo. Use more weight the deeper you get. I am 1/4 to 1/2 mostly.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/29/19 02:30 AM

I use the cylinder type the most but the round ones work better when trying to feel a soft bottom. I really can't see as where the tungsten type are enough better to justify the additional cost for just fun fishing but would opt for the tungsten in a tourney situation. I use a 1/4 oz. 90% of the time but am usually fishing 20 ft. Plus when dropshotting.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/29/19 01:36 PM

I start as light as possible and work my way up with swagger tungsten unless I'm in greedy structure then I use phenix lead. Priced good either way but lead is still cheaper.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/29/19 05:19 PM

I used to not believe in the hype of Tg....then I got some in a tackle swap and used them for the first time. When I was dragging bottom, pulling through limbs, etc...the feel is so different. The denseness of the Tg vs. Pb (Lead) is so great that the sensitivity increases. It will send vibrations a lot quicker through your line. Now it's the only weights I buy. You can get some good deals from: http://omfishingsinkers.com/ or a few others are Woo! or Swagger.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 10/29/19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
cylinder pinch weight. 1/4 oz.

This ^^^^^ in the Finch Nasty brand. The bass pro brand pinch weight is not tight enough and you will loose a bunch unless you crimp it before you use it. I just buy the Finch Nasty ones and they work very well.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 11/05/19 02:15 AM

I read somewhere that a heavier weight makes more noise and helps drew attention to the lure. Thoughts?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 11/05/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pitdad
I read somewhere that a heavier weight makes more noise and helps drew attention to the lure. Thoughts?

I would not put much faith in that article. Just another wives tale.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 11/08/19 03:51 PM

I mostly use 3/8 oz. unless windy, then I go to 1/2 oz. I only use Tungsten. I won't the noise it make bouncing off of things. Much more dense.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 11/08/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pitdad

Depends on what you are after. If you want it to fall slower through the water column not using more than 1/4 oz. I get lots of bites on the fall. If dragging through grass going to use 3/8to 1/2 oz. Windy days using 3/8 minimum. There is no one weight IMHO.
Posted By: d

Re: Drop Shot Weight - 11/11/19 03:55 AM

I use a bobber stop and lead bullet weights. If weight gets hung the line usually pulls through the bobber stop. And I can adjust the. Depth of the bottom super easy. Give it a try!!! Plus no line twisting
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum