Texas Fishing Forum

power pole covers

Posted By: Happykamper

power pole covers - 10/27/19 08:04 PM

Anyone just use a cinch strap in place of the covers ? Only reason I have the covers is to keep poles from accidentally deploying going down the road. If you are using a strap where did you get them ?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: power pole covers - 10/27/19 11:27 PM

I use bungi cords. The pump isn’t strong enough to push out the Blade when it’s secured with the cord and fully retracted. The cord I use is a 10-12” and attaches to the holes on the bracket.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 01:20 AM

Never had my PP's deploy going down the road. Don't see the need for a strap. I have attempted to plane the boat off with them all the way down and discovered it really slowed my holeshot down. LOL
Posted By: RRWRAY

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 01:41 AM

i use bungi. NO WAY would i not use them. makes me feel better. you never know. maybe a leak down or something.

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by RRWRAY
i use bungi. NO WAY would i not use them. makes me feel better. you never know. maybe a leak down or something.

Plus it helps keep them from moving so much in case they do bleed off a little.

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Never had my PP's deploy going down the road. Don't see the need for a strap. I have attempted to plane the boat off with them all the way down and discovered it really slowed my holeshot down. LOL

I have done that twice recently, hole shot was bad, lol.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 02:16 AM

I had a jackplate mount bolt strip out on hwy67 once but never had them deploy.i drug it about 5 miles, ground the top of the spike down still works tho.
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 03:57 PM

I always thought Power Pole covers were silly. About 3 trips ago I was coming back going through the Indian Reservation, and I just happened to look back to see one of my blades coming up, and go back down - dragging down hiway 190. I pulled over immediately and one of the lines had sprung a leak. I figured the spike would be history, but it was only ground down about 1/2 inch - no big deal. Some type of strap or cover probably would have stopped it from going down. All I had to do was replace the hose and top-off the fluid. By the way - Power Poles will not stop a Duramax Diesel! laugh
Posted By: fouzman

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 04:03 PM

I had mine deploy going to the Chevron at Holly Lake one time. Ground both spikes down to about 1 foot. PP sent me new spikes right away. Don't keep the remote in your pocket while driving!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
I had mine deploy going to the Chevron at Holly Lake one time. Ground both spikes down to about 1 foot. PP sent me new spikes right away. Don't keep the remote in your pocket while driving!

Ouch
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: power pole covers - 10/28/19 11:00 PM

I bought the covers and they faded and looked bad,not worth what I paid,then I bought a couple of wide Velcro straps @ Wally World for a couple of dollars,it's what I use.I had one spring a leak and drag just a little,don't let someone tell you it can't happen.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
Originally Posted by Ken A.

I have done that twice recently, hole shot was bad, lol.

You may be wishing for something to slow your new boat down once you get it broken in! wink
Posted By: Court

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 12:58 AM

[Linked Image]
You get some strange looks while driving, but WTH!
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Court
[Linked Image]
You get some strange looks while driving, but WTH!

Funny
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 01:20 PM

When I bought my boat in May it came with power pole covers from Tuff Skinz. They looked great, but have come apart at the zipper because of the design. Wind on the zippers while driving caused them to be ripped apart even though there was a velcro strap around that area. I ordered 2 replacements from Rod Warrior that came in yesterday. They fit very snug and have no zippers. I'm hoping they will last a lot longer than the other ones. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BMCD

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan O'
I always thought Power Pole covers were silly. About 3 trips ago I was coming back going through the Indian Reservation, and I just happened to look back to see one of my blades coming up, and go back down - dragging down hiway 190. I pulled over immediately and one of the lines had sprung a leak. I figured the spike would be history, but it was only ground down about 1/2 inch - no big deal. Some type of strap or cover probably would have stopped it from going down. All I had to do was replace the hose and top-off the fluid. By the way - Power Poles will not stop a Duramax Diesel! laugh

Yes but with a strap or covers you'll find out the next time you go fishing before you launch. I want instant notification that my poles are leaking.
Posted By: SNAKEBIT

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 08:55 PM

home depot and lowes has tool wraps that are orange velcro with a small sewn on carabiner.
quick, easy, and cheap!!!!!
Posted By: bassnman

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 09:44 PM

I used the web belts from some shorts I bought. The ones that snap shut and you can never remember how to unsnap when you have an urgent need to drop your shorts. Never liked those as belts. I cut them to size with a scissors, burned the end so they wouldnt shred. Done.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: power pole covers - 10/29/19 09:44 PM

banana
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: power pole covers - 11/08/19 07:35 PM

I use mine to protect them from road rash. ROCKS!
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: power pole covers - 11/10/19 01:33 AM

I've been thinking about using black patio umbrella covers at $10 each.
Posted By: Dink Pearson

Re: power pole covers - 01/01/20 04:43 PM

I know this is a reply of an old post but wanted to chime in. I have a PP Blade 10’ and have had the line blow out 3 times. When replacing the connector sleeve really really get it tight. AND then tighter. I use a buckle strap on mine and forgot to take it off tried to deploy and the line blow off. Use two box end wrenches and get them as tight as possible.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: power pole covers - 01/01/20 06:10 PM

I’ve used a strap of Velcro in the past, worked fine...
Posted By: WAWI

Re: power pole covers - 01/01/20 11:44 PM

The covers or a strap is supposed to help the bushings last longer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum