Texas Fishing Forum

Tackle Shops Near Conroe

Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 04:41 PM

Anyone know of anything besides Academy? We were lucky enough to get one of the few Gander Outdoors in TX after the rebranding. Went to check it out the other day in hopes of getting some last minute tackle and the selection was god awful. They used to have a decent selection but the prices were bad enough to keep you away. Now the prices are decent but the selection is bad enough to make me never go back. Still cant figure out why there isn't a BP or Cabela's around this area. They would make a killing here.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 05:33 PM

April Sound Bait and Tackle used to carry bass fishing stuff, but I'm not certain they're open anymore. They're on Hwy 105, just before you get to 7 Legua's Mexican food, same side of the road.

American Pride Rods is opening a shop on 105 also. It's across the highway from Shooter's Station but I don't think they're open yet.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 07:28 PM

There is supposedly a BPS coming to the area in Montgomery County at the Grand Parkway (99) and I-69 (59) in New Caney. Do a google search for Valley Ranch Outlets ( The Signorelli Company ) and take a look at the PDF showing the layout of the newest retail hub for Northeast Houston. Sure looks like a BPS in their layout.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 07:38 PM

No good tackle stores around here and our Academy is mediocre at best. I wonder who they have buying product and stocking the store? American Pride rods is opening a storefront on 105 across from Shooter's Station and will be carrying reels, tackle, etc. I don't know when they will be open though.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
April Sound Bait and Tackle used to carry bass fishing stuff, but I'm not certain they're open anymore. They're on Hwy 105, just before you get to 7 Legua's Mexican food, same side of the road.

American Pride Rods is opening a shop on 105 also. It's across the highway from Shooter's Station but I don't think they're open yet.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out when it opens up. Been to April Sound a few times to pick up some Santone jigs. They have a decent selection for the small amount of space they've got to work with.

Originally Posted by nwest10
There is supposedly a BPS coming to the area in Montgomery County at the Grand Parkway (99) and I-69 (59) in New Caney. Do a google search for Valley Ranch Outlets ( The Signorelli Company ) and take a look at the PDF showing the layout of the newest retail hub for Northeast Houston. Sure looks like a BPS in their layout.

Good eye! Took me a minute but i finally saw it hiding out back there. It certainly does look like a BP/Cabelas.

[Linked Image]

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 07:50 PM

Sure looks like a BPS or Cabella's. The NE side would not be my first choice for a store like that though. There is a new Dick's at the loop and 45 where they are developing the old scout camp. But its usually worse than Academy.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 08:00 PM

On one of the images in their PDF there's an overhead layout that actually says Bass Pro Shops on it. It's actually going in on the SW side. Who knows how long it will be before they build it, but the strip center the same group built across the grand parkway from there went up pretty fast. There is also a decent size Academy in that strip center that had a good fishing selection last time I was there.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bahala
Sure looks like a BPS or Cabella's. The NE side would not be my first choice for a store like that though. There is a new Dick's at the loop and 45 where they are developing the old scout camp. But its usually worse than Academy.

Wouldn't be my first choice either but i'll take it! Probably would pull a good crowd from all over deep east TX though. And yeah I'm not sure why they're putting a Dicks there. There is one less than 10 minutes down the road in The Woodlands. Didn't know anyone actually shopped there.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by nwest10
On one of the images in their PDF there's an overhead layout that actually says Bass Pro Shops on it. It's actually going in on the SW side. Who knows how long it will be before they build it, but the strip center the same group built across the grand parkway from there went up pretty fast. There is also a decent size Academy in that strip center that had a good fishing selection last time I was there.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to keep an eye out for when it opens.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 08:52 PM

Good selection at the New Caney store. I live in KW and go to this one over the Humble location. I hope they but a BPS there. I like to go there and browse!!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/22/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 5PounderOnAFrog

Wouldn't be my first choice either but i'll take it! Probably would pull a good crowd from all over deep east TX though. And yeah I'm not sure why they're putting a Dicks there. There is one less than 10 minutes down the road in The Woodlands. Didn't know anyone actually shopped there.

Dick's is the worst.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 5PounderOnAFrog

The Dick's at 336s and I45 opened today. Didn't make it in there today as I was wanting to go see what the fishing selection was like.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 03:14 AM

Y’all ever been in Bennie’s off 830 in Willis! I passed by it today but didn’t have time to stop.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 11:56 AM

There was someone who posted a few months ago asking people what brands of tackle they would like to see in a new tackle shop they are going to open on 105 out towards the lake but I haven’t heard anymore about it. If there could be something comparable to tackle addict or Rambo outdoors around here, that would be awesome.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 12:31 PM

you may take a trip in town to Tackle Unlimited. They have a good selection of gear. I buy mostly online myself though.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 01:00 PM

Too bad Roadhouse closed down, miss that place. I would make a trip to Tackle Addict in Onalaska-real nice place and has a huge selection.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bayou Burner
Too bad Roadhouse closed down, miss that place. I would make a trip to Tackle Addict in Onalaska-real nice place and has a huge selection.

They closed the Onalaska store cry
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 04:29 PM

The BPS would be right around the corner from me! Headed to da poor house!

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 04:59 PM

Y’all ever been in Bennie’s off 830 in Willis! I passed by it today but didn’t have time to stop.

I haven't personally been but heard they have a decent selection, but you gotta pay a premium for the convenience.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 06:05 PM

I kept hearing about it and I went and checked it out. They have a lot of stuff but nothing I want. Might as well go to academy.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by photofishin
you may take a trip in town to Tackle Unlimited. They have a good selection of gear. I buy mostly online myself though.

No offense but he did say around Lake Conroe. FTU has 3 locations and none are close to Lake Conroe. More like 60 miles to the FTU on I45. You might as well just drive to BPS.

JMO

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/23/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lil joe

I kept hearing about it and I went and checked it out. They have a lot of stuff but nothing I want. Might as well go to academy.

BTW - it's Bernie's.

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/24/19 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor

BTW - it's Bernie's.

It’s bennie’s not Bernie’s

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/24/19 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor

BTW - it's Bernie's.

It’s bennie’s not Bernie’s

You're right. This is my mistake. I put Bennie's Tackle Hwy 105 into Google maps. It brought up Bernie's Tackle in NY of all places. I didn't read enough.
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/25/19 02:26 AM

I have all the tackle shopping I can handle, all within 10 mins of me, here in Katy. Bass Pro, Academy (2), and Field and Stream but the only problem is I’ve got to drive at least an hour in any direction to launch the boat to fish.... I guess it could be worse...

Re: Tackle Shops Near Conroe - 10/26/19 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by JBranham
I have all the tackle shopping I can handle, all within 10 mins of me, here in Katy. Bass Pro, Academy (2), and Field and Stream but the only problem is I’ve got to drive at least an hour in any direction to launch the boat to fish.... I guess it could be worse...

Good point. Thought it was rough up here for us north Houston folks but that sounds much worse.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum