Logperch not a Walleye
Posted By: Fish dad

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 04:26 PM

Okay, but that should not be there either
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fish dad
Okay, but that should not be there either

Although logperch are considered native to northern or eastern states, there is a subspecies or Texas Logperch found in most lakes and clear rivers in Texas.
http://txstate.fishesoftexas.org/percina%20macrolepida.htm
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 05:09 PM

I think the record walleye caught in Texas came from Lake Palestine. 4.13 lbs. caught in 1988.

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
I think the record walleye caught in Texas came from Lake Palestine. 4.13 lbs. caught in 1988.

Lake Meredith weighed 11.88
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky Robison
Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES

Lake Meredith weighed 11.88

Wowza, that's a biggun even for lakes up north.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 05:25 PM

We use to catch a lot of them in Cypress Springs many moons ago
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/21/19 05:36 PM

I caught 3 walleye out of Canyon Lake in 1991.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 11:53 AM

Yes, that’s a full grown logperch. . Walleye though can can be caught across the street from my house on Wheeler Branch(Glen Rose): [Linked Image]
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 12:49 PM

I think it was Walleye that we used to catch at Lake O’ Pines every once in a while back years ago .
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TBassYates
I think it was Walleye that we used to catch at Lake O’ Pines every once in a while back years ago .

Probably Chain Pickerel. LOP has some but Hawkins a decent population of them, you can stumble on them in a lot of ETX lakes.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 02:20 PM

Lots of walleye in Squaw until the plant fired up
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 02:21 PM

Logperch, they are native. Had a bass spit one up in my livewell a couple of weeks ago on Fork.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 02:31 PM

Walleye are more of an Olive colored and the have a white tipped lower tail fin... You guys may be catching Sauger, they look similar to a Walleye but are usually smaller and do not have the white tipped tail... Dan

https://i1.wp.com/fishingbooker.com/blog/media/Sauger-vs-Walleye-identification-1.jpg?resize=1024%2C683&ssl=1

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 04:35 PM

I'm not sure of the year but sometime in the mid-to-late 80s they stocked Walleye in several lakes in Texas. The late guide Johnny Procell and I use to go to Ray Hubbard and catch quite a few around the rip rap along I-30 between 2-4 lbs. They did not survive in Ray Hubbard long, for some reason, maybe habitat, maybe temps but they wouldn't spawn.
Good eating fish!
Posted By: Texdan

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky Robison
I'm not sure of the year but sometime in the mid-to-late 80s they stocked Walleye in several lakes in Texas. The late guide Johnny Procell and I use to go to Ray Hubbard and catch quite a few around the rip rap along I-30 between 2-4 lbs. They did not survive in Ray Hubbard long, for some reason, maybe habitat, maybe temps but they wouldn't spawn.
Good eating fish!

Not a good eating fish, it's a GREAT eating fish. Caught many a walleye in Lake Erie when I lived in Ohio back in the day.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Walleye in Bob Sandlin - 10/22/19 11:45 PM

Bridgeport was stocked years back and I have caught maybe 3 out there with the last one being 15-20yrs ago. Nothing over a 1-2lbs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum