Texas Fishing Forum

Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio

Posted By: Sirjet

Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/16/19 02:52 PM

I have a friend coming in town and he has family in Houston and San Antonio. Could someone Please let me know what is a Good Lake for him to fish. Of course not wanting secret spots. I just want the lake. He will only be able to fish the Lake once. So your spot is safe. I do not know the area down South. Any assistance will help. Thanks.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/16/19 02:56 PM

Fayette would be my suggestion. As far as bass fishing, it's a smaller lake and easier to learn/fish and they have a slot limit so anything from 14-24 are catch and release. After this front, get to the backs of creeks and along the dam with shad colored crankbaits and/or Carolina rigged watermelon creature baits and you'll do fine.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/16/19 05:35 PM

Sheldon should start getting really good
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/16/19 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Sheldon should start getting really good

It is a good little fishing hole but I wouldn't send anyone there.
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/16/19 07:24 PM

call pete dodge for a guided trip on fayette. the guy is very good......
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/17/19 01:13 AM

Still haven't figured out Sheldon.. That lake whups my butt every time.

I'd go to Luces Bayou on Lake Houston or yeah make the trip out to Fayette County
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/17/19 09:32 AM

Definitely Fayette County. About half way between Houston and San Antonio. You can have 100+ fish days there. Last time we were there we caught 177 with three guys. All on Carolina rig in about 15ft.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/17/19 02:38 PM

No fish in Lake Woodlands peep
*(No wake lake)
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/17/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bayou Burner
No fish in Lake Woodlands peep
*(No wake lake)

That's another damn good lake. But no outboard period.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/17/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sirjet
I have a friend coming in town and he has family in Houston and San Antonio. Could someone Please let me know what is a Good Lake for him to fish. Of course not wanting secret spots. I just want the lake. He will only be able to fish the Lake once. So your spot is safe. I do not know the area down South. Any assistance will help. Thanks.

Your friend is first coming to visit you in Duncanville? Then he is going to Houston AND San Antonio? Why aren't you going to one of the lakes around your place?
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/18/19 11:37 AM

Fayette isn't a slam dunk right now. It's low and had a fish kill recently. It still might be your best bet, but a first time guy could probably manage to get skunked out there. Also some stumps out there to be aware of. Pretty safe overall, but just make sure you idle if you are anywhere remotely close to emergent trees.
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/18/19 12:51 PM

He is not coming this way. I already told him I have some nice places to take him up north.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/18/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by photofishin
Fayette would be my suggestion. As far as bass fishing, it's a smaller lake and easier to learn/fish and they have a slot limit so anything from 14-24 are catch and release. After this front, get to the backs of creeks and along the dam with shad colored crankbaits and/or Carolina rigged watermelon creature baits and you'll do fine.

They changed the slot on Fayette to 16-24.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/18/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by pchapin
Originally Posted by photofishin

They changed the slot on Fayette to 16-24.

thanks...nice to know...I only catch and release so haven't paid attention to the limits there.
Posted By: C130

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/18/19 11:27 PM

Take him to Conroe, he’ll either love it or hate it.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/19/19 12:45 AM

Fayette, even if its bad, its better fishing than most lakes.
Posted By: katjim

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/28/19 12:04 PM

Fayette is fun...but there are some tall trees underwater. I high centered on a tree top in 26 foot of water there one time. Hot water discharge side of the lake will attract fish this time of year.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Best Bass lake in Houston and San Antonio - 10/30/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Still haven't figured out Sheldon.. That lake whups my butt every time.

I'd go to Luces Bayou on Lake Houston or yeah make the trip out to Fayette County

Used to love Sheldon, haven’t been there in a while but don’t know if it ever really recovered from the drought. It was empty almost for a good while.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum