Texas Fishing Forum

Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait

Posted By: Troyz

Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/12/19 03:17 PM

Maybe get a little discussion going on what folks think of each one.

Which one do you use most?

When would you be most likely to use a chatterbait?

When would you be most likely to sue a spinnerbait?
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/12/19 03:21 PM

For me... Wood and brush= spinner bait. Grass = chatter bait or spinner bait
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/12/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
For me... Wood and brush= spinner bait. Grass = chatter bait or spinner bait

Good advice right there.

As much confidence as I have in a Chatterbait it is just not an efficient tool in thick brush. The spinnerbait will be a better choice due to getting hung up less.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/12/19 03:47 PM

Most of the time I get bit more on a spinnerbait. I've always felt fish need to be more agressive to bite a chatterbait, with a
spinnerbait not as much,
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/12/19 05:49 PM

Well, since there is no grass (almost) in Fork, guess I better tie on a spinnerbait and go see what happens. Weather is too nice right now to stay in the house all day
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/12/19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Troyz
Well, since there is no grass (almost) in Fork, guess I better tie on a spinnerbait and go see what happens. Weather is too nice right now to stay in the house all day

I fish grass every time my boat touches fork. As far as the two baits go I will throw a spinnerbait when there is cloud cover or when the light is low and there is wind. No cloud cover and wind blowing I go with the chatterbait.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 01:03 PM

Good advice here on wood vs. grass. That said, I'll think about fishing pressure as well. If it's a body of water that receives very little fishing pressure, I'll usually go with the spinnerbait. If it receives a lot of pressure I'll usually go with the chatterbait. Lots of data out there that shows fish can quickly become conditioned to hardbaits, particularly those that vibrate. That is to say, fish quickly become educated after getting caught a few times on these baits. I think on most lakes spinnerbaits get thrown more, so if I believe that to be true I'll tie on a chatterbait just because I think the fish will be less conditioned to it.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 02:01 PM

If the cover is limber enough that I can rip a chatterbait through it without getting hung up, I’m throwing a chatterbait.

My favorite cover is newly flooded cover that is still green and limber. So small brush and stick ups I’m throwing the chatterbait. I always reach for it first and only throw the spinnerbait if I’m getting snagged too often with the chatter bait.

I also have more confidence with the chatter bait in really clear water.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 02:14 PM

I just try both alobg with other lures to see what the fish seem to want. I don't like having preconceived ideas or get locked into a presentation before I see that the fish are not reacting to it.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 03:50 PM

I catch more fish on spinnerbaits. I’ve never done very well with chatterbaits.
Posted By: tricky

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 04:19 PM

Probably all in my head but seem’s Chatterbait in the spring and Spinnerbait in the fall.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 04:25 PM

If I had my choice probably chatterbait but.... Spinner bait shines in 2 scenarios for me. Heavy brush and lots of shallow stumps, and also slow rolling over deep grass.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I was the same way until this year. Ive been throwing chatterbaits off and on for the last 4 years or so. Didnt catch a fish on one until this year.

Would bet everything i own i caught more fish on a chatterbait this year than all other lures combined.

It seems like my fishing partner could always finish off a limit when the bite was tough with a chatterbait. I couldnt get bit. Was fishing some newly flooded brush this year and catching a few fish flipping and on spinnerbaits. Decided to give the chatterbait a shot. First chatterbait fish was over 5 lbs. Before that only caught a handful over 3. Kept throwing the chatterbait and caught another over 5 and 2 more over 4 fishing same waters i already covered with the spinnerbait. Then i had the confidence to pick it up and keep throwing it. Before i never had the confidence.

Overall ive caught more 4-6 lb fish on a chatterbait this year than ive caught on a spinnerbait all my life. Just seems like I catch both greater numbers and more quality fish with the chatterbait.

But i did win 1 club tourney with a spinnerbait this year. So its not always better, but more often than not it outproduces for me. But if you dont have confidence in it, might as well hang it up.

Give it a shot in the spring. Caught a fish almost 7 lbs on one in crystal clear water in about 3 ft. Only quality fish ive ever casted towards and caught. Apparently i suck at site fishing.

Often times its a weird bite. Very seldom do they hammer it for me. Most of the time i feel the vibration stop and then dead weight like ive snagged some grass. If you think its grass, set the hook. If it is grass you will often times rip the chatterbait out and get bit afterwards.

I use same approach as with a jig, if it feels different, go ahead and set the hook.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 05:58 PM

As some others have said, both baits have different situations where they are better suited and that is important, but I like to try and just see what the fish want on a particular day. If I'm going down a windy shoreline, even if the cover I'm fishing suits one bait more than the other I will still throw both to see what the fish want.

With that said I know I throw a spinnerbait more often because I just have more confidence in it.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/13/19 10:43 PM

I prefer a chatterbait most of the time because I can use a wider array of trailers with them.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Chatterbait vs Spinnerbait - 10/14/19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I was the same way until this year. Ive been throwing chatterbaits off and on for the last 4 years or so. Didnt catch a fish on one until this year.

Would bet everything i own i caught more fish on a chatterbait this year than all other lures combined.

It seems like my fishing partner could always finish off a limit when the bite was tough with a chatterbait. I couldnt get bit. Was fishing some newly flooded brush this year and catching a few fish flipping and on spinnerbaits. Decided to give the chatterbait a shot. First chatterbait fish was over 5 lbs. Before that only caught a handful over 3. Kept throwing the chatterbait and caught another over 5 and 2 more over 4 fishing same waters i already covered with the spinnerbait. Then i had the confidence to pick it up and keep throwing it. Before i never had the confidence.

Overall ive caught more 4-6 lb fish on a chatterbait this year than ive caught on a spinnerbait all my life. Just seems like I catch both greater numbers and more quality fish with the chatterbait.

But i did win 1 club tourney with a spinnerbait this year. So its not always better, but more often than not it outproduces for me. But if you dont have confidence in it, might as well hang it up.

Give it a shot in the spring. Caught a fish almost 7 lbs on one in crystal clear water in about 3 ft. Only quality fish ive ever casted towards and caught. Apparently i suck at site fishing.

Often times its a weird bite. Very seldom do they hammer it for me. Most of the time i feel the vibration stop and then dead weight like ive snagged some grass. If you think its grass, set the hook. If it is grass you will often times rip the chatterbait out and get bit afterwards.

I use same approach as with a jig, if it feels different, go ahead and set the hook.

Good stuff. I’ll keep throwing it. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum