Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette County

Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Fayette County - 10/08/19 10:26 PM

Scratched out a couple of fish today and headed back to the ramp to find hundreds of dead fish floating on the surface. Majority were shad, some panfish and quite a few catfish. Turnover???
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Fayette County - 10/08/19 11:27 PM

I have never seen a lake turn over that killed fish. They have plenty of time to leave the oxygen depleted areas. Now, with algae bloom they cannot escape fast enough; as there is no warning. It could have taken place on the other side of the lake or in a cove. The wind currents push those dead and dying fish to that side of the lake over a period of time where you found them. Anyway something is wrong and it is a shame that it took place.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Fayette County - 10/08/19 11:53 PM

Thank you for the informative response.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Fayette County - 10/09/19 12:36 AM

I have seen this on fayette before, although I believe it was in may. Anyway dozens and dozens of 5lb bass floating in a fairly small cove. Just terrible to see!
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Fayette County - 10/09/19 01:40 AM

I was on Fayette today & there are dead fish everywhere...coves, middle of the lake etc. Don't believe it is an algae bloom. In the back of one cove there were hundreds of fish of all species literally gasping for air at the surface side by side. Bass, bluegill, tilapia & even catfish. The lake level is down maybe 8 inches...wonder if that had anything to do with it with the water staying so hot for so long ?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fayette County - 10/09/19 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
I have never seen a lake turn over that killed fish. They have plenty of time to leave the oxygen depleted areas. Now, with algae bloom they cannot escape fast enough; as there is no warning. It could have taken place on the other side of the lake or in a cove. The wind currents push those dead and dying fish to that side of the lake over a period of time where you found them. Anyway something is wrong and it is a shame that it took place.

Plus #1. eeks
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Fayette County - 10/09/19 03:35 PM

Dang, I was just there but never was in less then 9 feet of water.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Fayette County - 10/09/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
I was on Fayette today & there are dead fish everywhere...coves, middle of the lake etc. Don't believe it is an algae bloom. In the back of one cove there were hundreds of fish of all species literally gasping for air at the surface side by side. Bass, bluegill, tilapia & even catfish. The lake level is down maybe 8 inches...wonder if that had anything to do with it with the water staying so hot for so long ?

I'd be interested to see pictures of the gasping fish. Maybe hand pick a few big ones and release them in deeper water?
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Fayette County - 10/09/19 03:49 PM

I was planning a trip on Saturday, not any,more. Thanks,
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Fayette County - 10/10/19 01:35 AM

There was a major fish kill in October several years ago.

Re: Fayette County - 10/10/19 11:43 AM

I was there last night. Definitely a major fish kill. Hundreds of dead fish, all different species. I believe Donald is probably correct on the blue/green algea. I did't directly observe any algae, but the water had an unusual blue/green tinge on many places throughout the lake. I believe that stuff creates a toxin and also coats fish gills suffocating them. The entire SE corner of the lake seemed like a barren waste land to me. I didn't even graph any shad pods, which is highly unusual for Fayette. Yesterday was one of my tougher fishing days out there I've ever had. Only 8 fish in about 5 hours of grinding.

I think all the water for the lake comes from a nearby river. They haven't caught much rain out there recently so I suspect they are pumping higher than usual amounts of water in from the river. If that water is full of farm run off that could be more than enough to create problems in a super warm body of water.
Posted By: 1961Yaloo

Re: Fayette County - 10/10/19 03:23 PM

I dont know much about the algea bloom, but will the cold front and maybe some rain help get rid of it?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Fayette County - 10/10/19 03:45 PM

Yup saw some kayak anglers posting about all the dead bass on Fayette. Lots of big fish too

Re: Fayette County - 10/10/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1961Yaloo
I dont know much about the algea bloom, but will the cold front and maybe some rain help get rid of it?

Algea starts to slow growth below 78 degrees. Coolest spot I found on the lake yesterday was about 85. So it still has a ways to go.
Posted By: CarterHB

Re: Fayette County - 10/14/19 05:51 PM

Jpurdue - Where did you read that? is it just for a certain algae? I am relatively sure algae growth can occur at higher temperatures than 78 degrees

Re: Fayette County - 10/14/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CarterHB
Jpurdue - Where did you read that? is it just for a certain algae? I am relatively sure algae growth can occur at higher temperatures than 78 degrees

Algae growth starts to slow below 78 degrees. It can grow like wildfire above 78 degrees.
Posted By: CarterHB

Re: Fayette County - 10/14/19 10:44 PM

Oh I read that wrong. I am dumb lol
Posted By: Catch&Release-Me-Again

Re: Fayette County - 10/14/19 11:52 PM

Braunig lake had the same thing happen, water temp dropped over 20 degrees causing lake turnover killing thousands of fish and even more shad. Happened last year when the water temp. dropped too fast. I was checking this site to see if it was happening at Fayette as I was going to go,there, not now.
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Fayette County - 10/17/19 02:39 AM

What I remember about the kill that happened several years ago, right after that most of the grass died. It just was getting back to where it was back then so I am waiting to see if we have another "grass kill off" too.
Posted By: Wrangler1

Re: Fayette County - 10/17/19 02:20 PM

anyone been this week, how was it?
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Fayette County - 10/17/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wrangler1
anyone been this week, how was it?

Take look at this thread: https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...n-drags-on-fayette-10-14-19#Post13311915
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum