Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits?

Posted By: Rocky Robison

Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/08/19 06:55 PM

What are some of y'all's favorite large hard swimbaits and glide baits?
This can include resin bodies with soft skin like Depps or Matt Lures but I don't care about collector or flipper baits so stuff under $200.

I started throwing the large AC Plugs back when Allen Cole first came out with them and have gotten really interested in throwing big baits again. I have purchased a few like Mike Bucca's Bull Shads and Gills, a Sly Guy Replica Gill bait from Clayton, Gantrells/Gantia (sp), Swavers, a Chad Shad from KGB, and a Spro Rat.
Tell me some of y'alls, and tell me if it's a floater, wake, slow sink, fast sink etc...
Posted By: 4967

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/08/19 07:12 PM

PB on gantarel for me, so it's always going to have a spot in the lineup.
In addition to the one's you've listed, I'd look at toxicbaits.com and ufobaitco.com. Both of these guys have all the styles covered from floaters to wakes and sinks.
Seems like wakes are king of the roost right now, and UFO's are getting a lot of hype recently. Don't dismiss 3:16 either. He's in Texas now and makes some nice soft swims and hard glides.
It's a fun ride!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/08/19 08:36 PM

Smash Tech smash glide bait slow sink
Gantarel floater
Posted By: Chet

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/08/19 09:51 PM

"Tater Hog Father" glide bait. Never seen a glide bait come back with big gizzard shade swimming along side it as much as this one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/08/19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chet
"Tater Hog Father" glide bait. Never seen a glide bait come back with big gizzard shade swimming along side it as much as this one.

[Linked Image]

Great fish and pic Chet!
Posted By: neill10

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/09/19 12:24 PM

$200 Can get you a 3:16 workhorse!! Baits are unreal good!
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/09/19 03:10 PM

This wake bait has been killer for me this year:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Evergreen_ND_180_Wooden_Wakebaits/descpage-EGND.html

On the budget end, the Ima Glide Fluke in the sinking 178 size in Ghost Rainbow has been good also.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ima_Glide_Fluke_Glide_Bait/descpage-IGFG.html
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/09/19 03:53 PM

There might be some guys thinking "Ghost trout in Texas?"...but that bait/color catches the fire out of them on Clearlake CA and there aren't any trout in that lake.
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/09/19 05:59 PM

Get a Hinkle Shad or a Phoney Frogs Glide (Both $150ish)

Roman made Negotiator- Swims very natural and Seductive

*If you like the AC Plug you should get a MS Slammer...its a wooden Wake bait (the 9in absolutely gets crushed)

[Linked Image]

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/10/19 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Smash Tech smash glide bait slow sink
Gantarel floater

Heath's bait is on my list, have some of his Convicts and Felons

Originally Posted by Chet

[Linked Image]

Great fish Chet, been looking at those but haven't been lucky enough to check the website when they're in stock!

Originally Posted by neill10
$200 Can get you a 3:16 workhorse!! Baits are unreal good!

There's several of Mickey's baits I want to get, but can't seem to get out to his store on a Saturday, maybe 1 day before his prices get way out there. Flippers are going to drive his baits up where only collectors will buy 'em.

Originally Posted by 1bassdaddy
There might be some guys thinking "Ghost trout in Texas?"...but that bait/color catches the fire out of them on Clearlake CA and there aren't any trout in that lake.

First AC Plug fish I caught on Fork I guess around 91-92 was a 7lber and it came on the Rainbow Trout color.

Originally Posted by AMERICAN-TEXAN
Get a Hinkle Shad or a Phoney Frogs Glide (Both $150ish)

Roman made Negotiator- Swims very natural and Seductive

*If you like the AC Plug you should get a MS Slammer...its a wooden Wake bait (the 9in absolutely gets crushed)

[Linked Image]

Hinkles and Phoneys I've been checking out, like most of these baits you got to catch them when they're in stock and that doesn't last long. I was looking at the Roman Made baits at Oak Ridge the last time I was there, good looking baits.
I have 2 of Mike's M S Slammers coming. 1 9" and 1 double 11" guess I need to order a 9" Perch color, that's a good fish too.

Thanks guys for all these suggestions, please keep them coming.

I know I said my $ amount was around $200, but has anyone fished the Depps Code Name Bass about $270? That thing looks sweet in swim videos.
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/10/19 11:20 AM

The Depps Code name is 12.1 Oz...

You would need a custom rod for sure...That's way too heavy for me to throw for any length of time.

Plus the cost of the lure alone...losing would be devastating
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/10/19 11:35 PM

I throw the Megabass I Slides in all 3 sizes regularly. For a really inexpensive glide bait to get get started the Savage Shine Glides and River2Sea SWavers are great.

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/11/19 01:01 AM

You would need a custom rod for sure...That's way too heavy for me to throw for any length of time.

That is a heavy bait. I have a St. Croix 7'11" Swimbait Rod that'll handle up to 4oz a St. Croix 8' Musky Rod that'll handle up to 8oz and have a St. Croix 8'11" Mega Swimbait Rod coming that'll handle up to 8oz also and didn't even think about having to buy a new rod to throw that Code Name Bass. Guess I might need to look at some rods that'll handle that kind of weight.

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I throw the Megabass I Slides in all 3 sizes regularly. For a really inexpensive glide bait to get get started the Savage Shine Glides and River2Sea SWavers are great.

Mark I was going to get ahold of you about those to see if you were throwing any of them and if so how you liked them. I put one of the big ones, I think the 262 size baits in my TW cart.
One day when you're at Fork during the week and I can get out there, you'll have to come out to the lake house on Lydia and we can just throw big baits on that little 94 acre lake. I did catch a 9 on one of your soft swimbaits with an underspin on it out there not long after I picked up your baits at the Fun & Sun show a couple of years ago.

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/11/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rocky Robison

That is a heavy bait. I have a St. Croix 7'11" Swimbait Rod that'll handle up to 4oz a St. Croix 8' Musky Rod that'll handle up to 8oz and have a St. Croix 8'11" Mega Swimbait Rod coming that'll handle up to 8oz also and didn't even think about having to buy a new rod to throw that Code Name Bass. Guess I might need to look at some rods that'll handle that kind of weight.

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Mark I was going to get ahold of you about those to see if you were throwing any of them and if so how you liked them. I put one of the big ones, I think the 262 size baits in my TW cart.
One day when you're at Fork during the week and I can get out there, you'll have to come out to the lake house on Lydia and we can just throw big baits on that little 94 acre lake. I did catch a 9 on one of your soft swimbaits with an underspin on it out there not long after I picked up your baits at the Fun & Sun show a couple of years ago.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for grabbing the MB as well as mine.
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/11/19 03:16 PM

Golden instigator is 95$ and work, has a really nice glide made by Danny Goldens son Ryan. He just came out with one called the gremlin that is selling out as fast as he can make them.

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/12/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Zach Starling
Golden instigator is 95$ and work, has a really nice glide made by Danny Goldens son Ryan. He just came out with one called the gremlin that is selling out as fast as he can make them.

Thanks Zach, I had no idea Danny's son was making baits. I will definitely purchase a few from him when I can find out how to get them. I like to support the local bait makers!

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/16/19 05:16 PM

https://www.wired2fish.com/underwat...JvoCjySkAKkVCiwik5_SRVrNBX3poAtQw__dSKqo

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/22/19 04:53 PM

Thanks everyone, getting a fair amount of baits to throw now!

Originally Posted by Zach Starling

Thanks Zach, got a hold of Ryan and have a Gremlin, Gremlin Wake, Instigator and a Big Wake coming.

Thanks for the link Mark.
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/23/19 04:02 AM

That instigator has a super sweet swim and pretty easy to glide. Just use the handle to make it glide I throw a tranx 300 and I do about a half a reel turn at a time and get a smooth glide going.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/24/19 03:30 AM

First post to the forum and I’m happy to see there’s other sickos throwing big baits here in Tejas too. I dig slammers, Mattlures hardgills, and Deps Bullshooters. But I throw lots of other hard swimbaits also. Lately I’ve been obsessing over rat baits. Picked up a couple of Magnum Shine Glides too. For the price they look really good. I’ll have a chance to throw them this weekend and see how the bass respond.

Attached picture 141714A7-443C-43D6-ADB5-2AD6F0217FD5.jpeg
Attached picture 345ED34C-C6A2-4581-88D2-9C8AF257710D.jpeg
Attached picture E317E00D-EAD5-4282-B6B9-320AAE371517.jpeg
Attached picture FAA3DBD5-0F9B-4BB3-A7AE-300BA6F99D8C.jpeg

Re: Favorite Hard Swimbaits/Glide Baits? - 10/24/19 04:22 PM

Cuervo Jones welcome to the TFF, it's a great site to get answers and develop friendships.

Just wanted to let you know that there is going to be a swimbait tournament coming up.
https://www.facebook.com/235340510669883/posts/465701890967076/?substory_index=0
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum