Texas Fishing Forum

Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family

Posted By: iFloat

Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/04/19 04:39 PM

Currently looking for first boat. Family of 4, 2 elementary age boys. Wife and I love to fish. Boys are starting to love it.

Budget less than 10k cash for first boat. I've never owned a boat.

Looking around used, finding some 2010 or so Bass tracker type boats. Finding some 1990s or so Skeeter type boats less than 10k.

What should I be looking for? Should we go for something in the 4-5k range just to get us on the water and see what our needs are? Right now we're estimating to take it out once or twice a month during school. But wife and I are teachers, we can go a lot during school breaks, summer type stuff. In North Texas, Lavon is closest water.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/04/19 07:17 PM

In my opinion at that price you're looking at a big aluminum. I'd personally stay away from an older bassboat being your first one. Another good option is a center console bay boat style. You can bass fish, crappie fish pull tubes everything and they are a little "safer" if the wind gets up. That's what I'd look at. Whatever you get, get it thoroughly checked out, motor, transom, etc.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/04/19 08:33 PM

Big aluminum around 5K
Very happy with my 2010 Lowe Roughneck 1760 (thicker aluminum than Trackers)
Won’t win any beauty pageants or races topping out at 32mph (50Hp)
Would fish 4 comfortably with 2 elementary school children, but you would want something bigger once they become teenagers (center console bay boat)

With the big aluminum, you will learn about boating and what you like/don’t like

Once your boys turn 16 or so, they may prefer to fish with each other (and friends) and would be a good boat for them to learn on.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/04/19 09:04 PM

Sent you a pm.
Posted By: SteveR

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/05/19 01:35 PM

Sent you a pm

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/05/19 03:57 PM

We found us a boat. Thank you all for input.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/05/19 04:46 PM

What did you get?
Posted By: Diaudioman

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/05/19 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
What did you get?

This ^^

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/06/19 01:27 AM

Finalizing the deal soon. Couldn't pass up a 08 bass tracker look like it's never been in the water.

We'll be reporting back soon...

I took my wife with me to look at it. She was trying to buy the dang thing even before I was done lookin it over...
Posted By: Diaudioman

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/06/19 02:21 AM

thumb
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/06/19 04:20 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Help, Budget 10K on First boat - Family - 10/06/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by iFloat
Finalizing the deal soon. Couldn't pass up a 08 bass tracker look like it's never been in the water.

We'll be reporting back soon...

I took my wife with me to look at it. She was trying to buy the dang thing even before I was done lookin it over...

There’s goodness here. There are ups and downs owning a boat, and to have her so onboard is a great thing. Post a pic when you are able.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum