Texas Fishing Forum

Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster?

Posted By: Catfanman

Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/29/19 10:12 PM

Posted By: Brent S

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/29/19 10:22 PM

Sure
Posted By: boocat

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/29/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Sure

why not
Posted By: dillydilly24

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/29/19 10:54 PM

Will you start throwing my crankbaits for me?

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/29/19 10:58 PM

Heres a even better cast
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 12:44 AM

We're doomed...

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 01:12 AM

Whats that supposed to mean?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 01:14 AM

Head down to the local middle school or high school and cast down the football field to get a good measure of distance.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 03:20 AM

distance is good , --- but accuracy is just as important . I learned by setting up old coffee cans at varying distances and trying to drop a Trigged Jelly worm using a 1/8 and 3/16oz weight in them from 30 feet , 50 feet , 70 feet etc..
It really helps when fishing weeds and exposed timber .
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 04:25 AM

You are doing the right thing by practicing. Once you feel more comfortable, you can start releasing the tension knob a little bit and get further and further casts. When yu get good at it, you will be able to cast into the next drive way and measure your casts in Yards, like 40 or 50 or more yards. Glad you feel comfortable enough to ask for help. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 03:29 PM

Like playing golf, the older I get the less distance I get. True in a lot of things.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 03:44 PM

Pay attention to what the rod specs are, put line on 3/4 of line weight specs, tie on weight about 3/4 of rod weight spec. Don't practice with things that catch a lot of wind, such as that soda bottle you used awhile back and that float. Think about every cast. Which direction is the wind? Pick a spot to aim for , don't just cast aimlessly into an open area. After every cast, think about what happened. Did you notice the wind effect, what did you feel on your thumb? Did it go higher or lower trajectory than intended? Was tension knob set for lure weight? Were the brakes set intentionally for what you are throwing? Make small adjustments. You will get there.

It is like playing guitar, no one was born with it. There is NO substitute for time spent trying , observing, and adjusting. Every bad cast you make is a chance to learn what went wrong.

Good luck , have fun, catch fish
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 09/30/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Pay attention to what the rod specs are, put line on 3/4 of line weight specs, tie on weight about 3/4 of rod weight spec. Don't practice with things that catch a lot of wind, such as that soda bottle you used awhile back and that float. Think about every cast. Which direction is the wind? Pick a spot to aim for , don't just cast aimlessly into an open area. After every cast, think about what happened. Did you notice the wind effect, what did you feel on your thumb? Did it go higher or lower trajectory than intended? Was tension knob set for lure weight? Were the brakes set intentionally for what you are throwing? Make small adjustments. You will get there.

It is like playing guitar, no one was born with it. There is NO substitute for time spent trying , observing, and adjusting. Every bad cast you make is a chance to learn what went wrong.

Best post I've read in a long time. Lots of hours of experience condensed into few words.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is this a good casting distance for a baitcaster? - 10/03/19 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by herbsteiner
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

Best post I've read in a long time. Lots of hours of experience condensed into few words.

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum