Texas Fishing Forum

Cleaning a livewell

Posted By: n_fish

Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 02:24 PM

Obviously no chemical based cleaners, so what’s the best method as far as a cleaner? Thanks
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 02:30 PM

I always poured bleach in the water and let is sit over night, made it clean as the day it was new.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 02:36 PM

use 3 tblspoons bleach to a gal of water, scrub it out good. rinse a couple of times then make a paste with baking soda and scrub it good, rinse again a few times and let air dry. baking soda will act kind of like comet etc. without the chemicals.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 02:41 PM

I clean mine with hope and broken dreams
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 02:46 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 02:51 PM

I usually just squirt some Dawn in them, fill them up and run recirculate while I scrub them down. Then rinse thoroughly until you see zero bubbles
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 04:20 PM

you guys that use bleach are funny..... I guess I don't catch enough to have to clean mine.. Maybe once in all of my years of owning a boat..
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 04:52 PM

This cracks me up that it’s even a topic. Its a livewell, not an aquarium. I’ve never cleaned a livewell short of washing out the dirt when the lakes were real muddy had some sand in it. Never lost a fish in 2 years that wasn’t gut hooked, and about the most I’ll do is put a few oz of oxygen peroxide my parter does which seems to help dead of summer.

But this cleaning livewell with bleach and alll that is sorcery and completely unnecessary
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 05:11 PM

Soap, water, brush only.
Posted By: NTX6807

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Clark3
This cracks me up that it’s even a topic. Its a livewell, not an aquarium. I’ve never cleaned a livewell short of washing out the dirt when the lakes were real muddy had some sand in it. Never lost a fish in 2 years that wasn’t gut hooked, and about the most I’ll do is put a few oz of oxygen peroxide my parter does which seems to help dead of summer.

But this cleaning livewell with bleach and alll that is sorcery and completely unnecessary

Maybe you haven’t put enough fish in there to need cleaning....
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Soap, water, brush only.

That's it. Use Dawn.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 06:23 PM

I am another one that uses bleach. Cleans VERY well and keeps it clean for a while I rinse the live well out 2 times to make sure thre is none left, but that might be too much, do not know. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. Remember to use your recirculating pump with in in there, too. Both During and after you clean it

Thad Rains
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/29/19 10:15 PM

Put a couple five pounders in each box and tie a tooth brush to their tails. I tried a plecaustomus (sp?), but the fish kept eating them.

For real? A couple squirts of dawn dish soap and a brush. Before I do that, I shop vac all rocks out. I rinse for at least 20 minutes or so.

Works good so far. No dead fish, that were preventable, in years.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/30/19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by NTX6807
Originally Posted by Clark3

Maybe you haven’t put enough fish in there to need cleaning....

Lol, that’s definitely it!
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Cleaning a livewell - 09/30/19 08:07 PM

https://www.wired2fish.com/boats-tr...and-safely-clean-your-livewells/#slide_1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum