Texas Fishing Forum

Smallmouth in Braunig

Posted By: bhsmith

Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 02:20 AM

Look at TPWD fishing reports, couldn't be wrong , huh?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 03:27 AM

noidea
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 03:40 AM

They would melt.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 04:15 AM

Maybe they got it wrong ?

Braunig
FAIR. Water stained; 83–87 degrees; Largemouth bass are fair on popper topwater tackle early, and plastic worms. Crappie are fair with weighted jigs. White bass are fair on minnows.
Striped Bass are fair on jigs and live shad. Smallmouth bass are fair on white grubs and jigs. Catfish are fair on live bait.

Maybe it was really small largemouth bass ? You know, this years spawn.

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 04:19 AM

I have fished Braunig for years and never seen a Crappie,Small Mouth Bass,or a White Bass! Also never heard of them being caught there. hmmm
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 04:49 AM

Tpw fishing reports are about as reliable as weather reports
Posted By: 361V

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 12:20 PM

Walleye good on jigs at Lake Corpus Christi. Kinda how the TPWD fishing reports go.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
I have fished Braunig for years and never seen a Crappie,Small Mouth Bass,or a White Bass! Also never heard of them being caught there. hmmm

I fished and managed that lake for years and never caught the tarpon that were in there either. But I know they were in there.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL

I fished and managed that lake for years and never caught the tarpon that were in there either. But I know they were in there.

Tarpon???
Posted By: bhsmith

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Tarpon???
Yep, in their stocking reports, years back.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/25/19 11:01 PM

We are no longer involved with the TPWD Weekly Fishing Report. It's a long story, but I was looking to expand our staff of 4 producing the reports and bid with a budget increase this past July. A bid came in under us from a lady in Dallas who has no involvement in the fishing community/business other than the fact that she knows a guy in Missouri who was involved with a show called DFW Outdoorsman for a few years.

So, your TPWD fishing reports that we produced and were understaffed producing with 4 people are now being produced in Missouri by one guy. Makes sense doesn't it?

There have been massive errors in the reports since the new outfit took over. The reports are full of misnamed/misspelled baits, species in waters they don't occupy, a new species on the coast called the largemouth drum, a massive outbreak of anglers fishing for white bass with Alabama rigs, and lots more erroneous information.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by bhsmith
Originally Posted by grout-scout

Tarpon???
Yep, in their stocking reports, years back.

What in Tarnation!?

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 01:01 AM

Would Tarpon be included in a current fishing report? Could Crappie,White Bass, and maybe just maybe Small Mouth Bass at one time in the very early years of Bruanig could have possibly been in that lake. I would not think they would be there today or at least not enough of them to make a current fishing report! Just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 04:35 AM

TPWD was during some strange stuff on this Lake back in the 80's, check this list of stockings ....

Bass, Florida Largemouth 1983 67,900 Fingerling
Bass, Kemp's Largemouth 1985 273,368 Fingerling
Bass, Palmetto 1985 101,885 Fingerling
Bass, Palmetto 1984 61,140 Fingerling
Corvina, Orangemouth 1985 3,150
Drum, Black x Red 1984 3,316 Adult
Drum, Red 1985 447,000 Fingerling
Perch, Nile 1984 26
Seatrout, Spotted 1984 72,000 Fingerling
Tarpon 1985 17
Tarpon 1984 17
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TxDanFishMan

TPWD was during some strange stuff on this Lake back in the 80's, check this list of stockings ....

Bass, Florida Largemouth 1983 67,900 Fingerling
Bass, Kemp's Largemouth 1985 273,368 Fingerling
Bass, Palmetto 1985 101,885 Fingerling
Bass, Palmetto 1984 61,140 Fingerling
Corvina, Orangemouth 1985 3,150
Drum, Black x Red 1984 3,316 Adult
Drum, Red 1985 447,000 Fingerling
Perch, Nile 1984 26
Seatrout, Spotted 1984 72,000 Fingerling
Tarpon 1985 17
Tarpon 1984 17

Great food sources for the Fresh Water Red Drum ! Other than the Large Mouth Bass and the Red Drum, I have not caught,seen, or heard of anyone catching any of the above species of fish. Current fishing reports should be based on fish that are currently being caught. I wonder how many White Bass,Tarpon,and Crappie have been caught over the past several years? A safe bet would be zero! Even if some of these fish were caught the numbers would not be enough to come close to making a weekly fishing report. A good weekly fishing report for Braunig would say. Red Drum and Channel Cat's fair! Large Mouth Bass fair to poor.

Side Note: As far as the species being stocked back in the 80's. Just guessing that TPW was seeing what species of fish could survive on a power plant lake in a hot climate environment in South Central Texas.

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 01:30 PM

They lucky the Nile perch didn't get bigger. They would've eaten every single fish swimming in that lake. They are are a bass on steroids and can grow well over 100lbs
Posted By: 361V

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 01:34 PM

Kinda off topic but never forget Cypress Springs was the “Walleye Capitol Of Texas”! Another “experiment” I funded. laugh

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 02:52 PM

Meridith had some big walleyes before it dried up
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Smallmouth in Braunig - 09/26/19 08:39 PM

I hear tarpon can live 50 years ... those 34 they stocked should be decent size now 30+ years later bolt
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum