Texas Fishing Forum

BASS

Posted By: Minner Bucket

BASS - 09/20/19 11:02 PM

Big bass big dreams big stage, well they picked a dink lake but I’m rooting for Zaldain, he’s due!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: BASS - 09/20/19 11:46 PM

Yeah, tough lake right now. If Zaldain doesn't win I hope he gets AOY. He's been close a bunch this year.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: BASS - 09/20/19 11:46 PM

He is always near the top.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: BASS - 09/20/19 11:54 PM

It's a make-up tournament for earlier in the year. They were supposed to be on Ft. Gibson but got flooded out, I have no idea why they moved it to Tenkiller, it mortally sucks in the summer unless you fish it at night. Zaldain needs to finish one, how many has he led already this year?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: BASS - 09/21/19 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

*In 2019

Re: BASS - 09/21/19 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S

*In 2019

Actually he has been in the AOY hunt in a couple of prior years.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: BASS - 09/21/19 12:37 AM

*In 2019

Had to be the last two. When I first met him, he and Trait were fishing the Opens trying to get a Classic birth and get her into the Elites. If your trying for a classic spot via an Open win, I’d imagine your not going to win AOY , since you’re not winning enough to “point in” to the classic.

Re: BASS - 09/21/19 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

*In 2019

Had to be the last two. When I first met him, he and Trait were fishing the Opens trying to get a Classic birth and get her into the Elites. If your trying for a classic spot via an Open win, I’d imagine your not going to win AOY , since you’re not winning enough to “point in” to the classic.

Chris has fished the Elites for at least 4-5 years. He has an Elite win as well.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: BASS - 09/21/19 01:17 AM

I know he has been fishing the elites. Didn’t say he wasn’t. I said he was fishing the Opens to get a classic invite. Due to his lack of points, he wasn’t gonna get to go to the classic. His lack of points also suggests that he wasn’t in the AOY race at all. His fiancée at the time, Trait, wasn’t fishing the elites. He was helping her to network with sponsors and hopefully finish high enough in the Opens to get an invite to fish the Elites.

Re: BASS - 09/21/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I know he has been fishing the elites. Didn’t say he wasn’t. I said he was fishing the Opens to get a classic invite. Due to his lack of points, he wasn’t gonna get to go to the classic. His lack of points also suggests that he wasn’t in the AOY race at all. His fiancée at the time, Trait, wasn’t fishing the elites. He was helping her to network with sponsors and hopefully finish high enough in the Opens to get an invite to fish the Elites.

He had a rough 2017. In 2016 he ended the year 7th in Elite AOY points and in 2018 he ended 20th. He is in 2nd right now in AOY just a couple of points out of the lead.

To my original point he has been 20th or better for 3 out of 4 years and 2 of those years well inside the Top 10. That is against the old guard and the new guys. I call that pretty stout.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 09:13 AM

Chris Zaldain first fished the Elites in 2012 so this is his 8th year. He has qualified for The Classic 4 times. 19 Top 10’s in that time span. I would say he has made it as a decent Elite Angler. With a less experienced Elite field he has moved up the ranks some. It will be interesting see if he can maintain it.

Trait has been fishing the Opens since 2012 with a single check and one Top 30 finish. Although she seems to have made it as Pro with sponsors and pushing product she clearly hasn’t made it on the tournament side even though she is in top level equipment. I asked one pro I was riding with, that knows them both pretty well,how she can be around Elite anglers all the time and not really move up much in the ranks. He said she probably prepares harder and practices as much as they do but some never seem to have the innate sense that it takes at the upper levels. Give her props for getting out there and trying. It’s extremely tough to succeed at that level. A bunch of solid tournament anglers haven’t been able to hang up there.

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 12:42 PM

I hope Kyle monti wins this one. The guy has struggled all year and this would be huge for him.

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 01:42 PM

Wow, what a flurry for the Australian. 1 more bite and he can go order a pizza.

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 01:45 PM

Jocumsen hammering them. I would like to see him take it. Few have took more risk or put more effort into it.

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 01:56 PM

It would be huge for carl too
Posted By: the skipper

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 01:59 PM

As hard as Carl has worked this would be HUGE for him.

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 02:16 PM

Today is also his birthday. I think he's liking Tenkiller right about now.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 02:40 PM

Tenkiller Ferry Lake, or more simply, "Lake Tenkiller," is a reservoir in eastern Oklahoma formed by the damming of the Illinois River. ... The lake and dam were named for the Tenkiller family, prominent Cherokees who owned the land and ferry that were bought for the project.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 05:15 PM

I was pulling for Zaldain but to see what Jocubson just did it's pretty hard to not want him to win. He said he's waited his whole life to catch that 4lb small mouth. Emotional moment for him. He's got probably 19lbs maybe more. Hard to top that unless zaldain or Monti do something equally as special.

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 05:39 PM

This final day has been great compared to the other 3 days.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 06:58 PM

This final day has been great compared to the other 3 days.

He just caught his biggest of the day 4.5+, probably over 20lbs now. Epic day for Carl

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 07:22 PM

Phenomenal day!

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 07:53 PM

The video of Carl catching #5 is powerful. It shows the amount of sacrifice and dedication he has. He is just spent when he gets it in the boat. Many others would have quit if they had gone through the setbacks he has. I can’t imagine anyone not respecting what Carl has done if he win’s this which it looks like he will.

Getting it done on his birthday even makes it more special.

I bet a lot of the Pros will be glad to see him win one knowing that he more than paid his dues.
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 09:33 PM

Great guy, I had two classes with him in January. Congrats Carl !
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 10:06 PM

Great finish and congrats to Carl, seems well deserving!
Posted By: 206champion

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 11:48 PM

Im glad for him well deserved
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 11:52 PM

Super happy for him. That was awesome!
Posted By: BThomas

Re: BASS - 09/22/19 11:59 PM

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum