Texas Fishing Forum

Tariffs

Posted By: Big Swimbait

Tariffs - 09/18/19 10:36 PM

I just got an email from Enigma Fishing that the new tariffs will result in a price increase of up to 30% on their rods and reels. The suggestion was to buy before 10/1 to save the increase. Has anybody else heard of any other increases due to the new tariffs?
Posted By: 9094

Re: Tariffs - 09/18/19 10:43 PM

A ton of companies are trying to cash in with tariff threats.
There are many items that are not on the tariff list so you might want to check out the items.
Also there is a lot of good tackle made in Singapore and Taiwan. Find those brands and buy them.
I know several models of Shimano are made Singapore.
Posted By: Jawz

Re: Tariffs - 09/18/19 11:26 PM

I agree with 9094's comment.dont fall for that. As stated a lot of companies are trying to cash in on the tariff issues. When I see companies doing that I do t buy from them anymore. Do your research and see what products are covered in the tariffs. Mostly electronic items like phone's, etc. From China.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 12:44 AM

Whatever.

Tell them you buy American and Japanese. Not Chinese [censored].
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 01:39 AM

I'm glad I buy American fishing equipment as much as I can. flag

Japanese and Korean are okay as well. cheers
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 05:30 AM

Sounds like more of a marketing ploy to scare people into making more purchases fast but to me it just sounds like the company buys cheap Chinese stuff and marks it up so I would be less interested in buying it.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 11:46 AM

Screw the Chinese. MAGA! Bring it back to Merica. $500 for a stinking rod that probably costs $50 to make. No thanks.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 12:05 PM

The misinformation in this thread is appalling. Why are we all so quick to bash a company and assume they are trying to lie to people to get more money out of them? It's not a "tariff threat", it's reality. I have been importing a small line of industrial items from China because nobody in the USA makes them and it wouldn't be worthwhile for me to make them myself because of the million dollar cost of the equipment and much smaller need for the item. Because of that, I have experienced first-hand what is going on with the tariffs. Now let me just say I am in no way against trump or even his tariffs, I'm just against people who don't know what they're talking about blasting a company for something they didn't do. Attached is a picture of 1 of the 5 lists of Harmonized Tariff Schedules under U.S. Section 301 which is 15%-30% additional tariffs on top of current tariffs. It is important to note however, that while the original planned date of implementation was Sept 1, 2019 or Oct 1, 2019 for all items, it has been moved back to October 15 for some groups of items and December 15 for other groups of items.
[Linked Image]

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 12:11 PM

Note that this one list is 96 pages and as mentioned there are 4 other lists... it doesn't just apply to electronics and phones.
Here's a link with all lists under USTR Section 301 if anybody is curious to see the lists in their entirety.
https://www.strtrade.com/f-tariff-actions-resources.html
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 12:40 PM

I don't have a problem with a tariff charged on any fishing products coming out of China for several reasons. Years ago I found out that domestic mfgs of plastics & hard baits have to pay a federal excise tax of 10% on the gross sale of their products. The tax money is ear marked for Parks & Recreation. After learning about the tax I went out to my boat and sifted through some of my plastics and hard baits, set aside those made off shore and added up what I'd spent on them and arrived at what would've been paid in the Fed tax had they been produced in the US, it didn't take long to hit $50.00
I take issue with US companies that further their business skirting the Fed tax by farming out their products offshore. Their products are purchased and used at the very location the tax is used to fund. I decided that if I want to have clean bathrooms, good and open ramps etc.. it was time to focus my purchasing more on US made products as far as plastics & hard baits.
There's a thriving sector of bait making in the US, small businesses that sell their products legitimately and pay their taxes. The public opinion that domestic made costs more is becoming a myth.
My 2 cents.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 12:55 PM

I looked at my stuff one day, and aside from most of the BassPro stuff, it was mostly made in USA, Japan, Korea, or Costa Rico. The BPS stuff was mostly made in China.

Now that I think about it, those tariffs must be WHY BASS PRO is selling junk for OVER MSRP.

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by FXfromTx
Note that this one list is 96 pages and as mentioned there are 4 other lists... it doesn't just apply to electronics and phones.
Here's a link with all lists under USTR Section 301 if anybody is curious to see the lists in their entirety.

Who said anything about misleading. I think about every answer was to buy products made in other countries.
I said check a list, which you have good for you and thanks, to see if the products there are tariffs on is even in the list.
There are a ton of lures rods and reels made elsewhere buy them.
Strike King is Chinese junk, but Pradco lures for the most part are made in other countries not China. Many reels and rods and made in other countries. Most good fishing line is made here or Japan. No need to buy any China made stuff unless you just want to.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 01:09 PM

I only see reels valued at $8.45 or more, reel parts and some hooks listed here with no mention of rods anywhere. So there could be both a little truth and a little salesmanship in their email to you.

The listing of artificial lures will crush some companies.

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G
I only see reels valued at $8.45 or more, reel parts and some hooks listed here with no mention of rods anywhere. So there could be both a little truth and a little salesmanship in their email to you.

The listing of artificial lures will crush some companies.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 01:16 PM

Oops I missed that one somehow! Guess they are all included.

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

Who said anything about misleading. I think about every answer was to buy products made in other countries.
I said check a list, which you have good for you and thanks, to see if the products there are tariffs on is even in the list.
Strike King is Chinese junk, but Pradco lures for the most part are made in other countries not China. Many reels and rods and made in other countries. Most good fishing line is made here or Japan. No need to buy any China made stuff unless you just want to.

I wasn't specifically targeting your comment, and honestly I could care less if anybody buys from Enigma or not. Never even had one of their rods. I buy American, or actually local to my area as much as possible myself, I'm just saying we shouldn't be tearing down a business over them trying to give their customers a chance to save 15% or more. You can say you never acted like it was misleading and that all the comments are only saying buy American but that's a load of [censored] and you know it. The comments have the following words in them "trying to cash in with tariff threats", "don't fall for that", "marketing ploy to scare people into purchasing". Sounds like accusal of misleading customers to me. The tariffs are real, they don't mostly just affect electronics. Just about everything being commercially imported from China is seeing some kind of additional tariff. The link I provided above lists the roughly 350 HTS's that won't have additional tariffs. There are no fishing items on the list.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 04:08 PM

I wasn't specifically targeting your comment, and honestly I could care less if anybody buys from Enigma or not. Never even had one of their rods. I buy American, or actually local to my area as much as possible myself, I'm just saying we shouldn't be tearing down a business over them trying to give their customers a chance to save 15% or more. You can say you never acted like it was misleading and that all the comments are only saying buy American but that's a load of [censored] and you know it. The comments have the following words in them "trying to cash in with tariff threats", "don't fall for that", "marketing ploy to scare people into purchasing". Sounds like accusal of misleading customers to me. The tariffs are real, they don't mostly just affect electronics. Just about everything being commercially imported from China is seeing some kind of additional tariff. The link I provided above lists the roughly 350 HTS's that won't have additional tariffs. There are no fishing items on the list.

What did you think the responses were going to be based on your post? It's a fishing forum.

What gets me is after maintaining F/A18 Hornets for 22 yrs is the post regarding not being able to get US made comparing fishing baits with their industrial product...

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 04:13 PM

That is exactly what they are trying to do. Make more sales for their company before the tariffs. That is a threat to the consumer that if you don't buy now it is going to hurt you. If you or anyone else on here doesn't think this is a marketing scare tactic you are full of it also. Maybe not fishing tackle but how many people that don't have the money to buy something right now are buying china products due to this same marketing? Plenty I have already seen it. It is a scare tactic to get people to spend money plain and simple.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 05:25 PM

Its not a scare tactic if true.

Often times it is being a responsible vendor. If we anticipate increases in raw material costs in the near future we pass along that info to our customers as quickly as possible.

This allows them to plan accordingly. Either budget for increased costs or shop around for alternatives. Very little irritates a customer more than to learn of a 30% price increase at the time they are placing an order.

The tariffs will sting at first, but the goal is to make other companies, especially in the U.S., more competitive rather than the Chinese simply underbidding everyone.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Tariffs - 09/19/19 09:03 PM

Aren't they one of the stupid companies that advertise on facebook for anyone to be on their "prostaff".

Re: Tariffs - 09/20/19 09:29 AM

That is exactly what they are trying to do. Make more sales for their company before the tariffs. That is a threat to the consumer that if you don't buy now it is going to hurt you. If you or anyone else on here doesn't think this is a marketing scare tactic you are full of it also. Maybe not fishing tackle but how many people that don't have the money to buy something right now are buying china products due to this same marketing? Plenty I have already seen it. It is a scare tactic to get people to spend money plain and simple.

So by your theory that anybody who warns of a price increase is just using a scare tactic, there are a bunch of them on TFF. We’ve seen guides and retailers both mention that their prices would go up on a certain date for whatever reason. Will it boost sales for a short time? Probably. Is it some big unethical conspiracy to cheat consumers like you’re acting it is? No.

Re: Tariffs - 09/20/19 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TxSwimbaiter

What did you think the responses were going to be based on your post? It's a fishing forum.

What gets me is after maintaining F/A18 Hornets for 22 yrs is the post regarding not being able to get US made comparing fishing baits with their industrial product...

What response did I expect from my post? I’m reading this to say you think I started this thread? I didn’t. Somebody else posted about enigma sending them an email. Everybody jumped on the “enigma is using unethical marketing tactics” and lying about a tariff increase bandwagon. I then replied with a comment trying to inform people of what the tariffs really are and give them a place to look for themselves if a product is going to get additional tariffs.

I’m honestly not sure what the second half of your comment even means. I said I have first-hand knowledge of the tariffs. I buy small industrial parts from overseas that aren’t made in the USA. Because of that I’ve been dealing with the tariff increases and have spent a lot of time studying the ever-changing tariff situation. I never compared these items to fishing products. I just said that both will have tariffs and during my time researching my product, I’ve come across what the tariffs will be on fishing products as well. I can’t address the maintaining F/A18 Hornet comment because I’m not even sure where it fits into this equation about tariffs and ethical marketing tactics except possibly for you to say you served 22 years and now you believe everybody should buy American when possible, which if you look at my comments I’ve said people should do and I do myself.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Tariffs - 09/20/19 11:52 AM

There are many items that are not on the tariff list so you might want to check out the items.
Also there is a lot of good tackle made in Singapore and Taiwan. Find those brands and buy them.

Here's the other thing a lot of companies are doing. They are going back to their Chinese suppliers and threatening to pull their business if they don't get a lower price to make up for the tariff. Once they get a concession from the supplier, they then go to their customers and demand a price increase to cover the cost of the tariff. So at the end of the day, a bunch of companies are actually profiting from these tariffs.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Tariffs - 09/20/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

Here's the other thing a lot of companies are doing. They are going back to their Chinese suppliers and threatening to pull their business if they don't get a lower price to make up for the tariff. Once they get a concession from the supplier, they then go to their customers and demand a price increase to cover the cost of the tariff. So at the end of the day, a bunch of companies are actually profiting from these tariffs.

Reminds me of the beverage companies that increased prices when gas prices went up because their "transportation" costs skyrocketed...but never lowered prices when gas came back down.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum