Texas Fishing Forum

Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/15/19 09:10 PM

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...Eq1oPr_VYDw4qfJ8W2Sf5kX1G2pI2Yj9QpqIdBoE

Not sure how I feel about this after that dam collapsed but if it happens again I wonder. Thoughts?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/15/19 09:33 PM

It's temporary. I think it's best to see if draining can be avoided.

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/15/19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
It's temporary. I think it's best to see if draining can be avoided.

They did seem to decide pretty quickly
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/15/19 10:47 PM

They've known about the issues for years and should have been planning accordingly. The river authority has no plans in place to repair\replace the dams. There are generations of folks that have called these lakes home. The river authority should have been putting money aside for this project and creating a master plan to replace the dams one at time. Infrastructure like this wears out, it's not made to last forever.

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/15/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ddmm
They've known about the issues for years and should have been planning accordingly. The river authority has no plans in place to repair\replace the dams. There are generations of folks that have called these lakes home. The river authority should have been putting money aside for this project and creating a master plan to replace the dams one at time. Infrastructure like this wears out, it's not made to last forever.

Its mind boggling the dams are NINETY years old and they are just now thinking about it. However, for them to last this long without any attention is a pretty impressive feat
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/15/19 11:12 PM

Hearing is set this week to continue!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/16/19 12:44 AM

The river authority should have been putting money aside for this project and creating a master plan to replace the dams one at time. Infrastructure like this wears out, it's not made to last forever.
A government organization proactively budgeting today for future infrastructure maintenance? Bwahahahaha.....If everyone knew the deteriorating condition of the infrastructure(dams, bridges.....) in the USA it would amaze you. Heck, it would frighten you.

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/16/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
The river authority should have been putting money aside for this project and creating a master plan to replace the dams one at time. Infrastructure like this wears out, it's not made to last forever.
A government organization proactively budgeting today for future infrastructure maintenance? Bwahahahaha.....If everyone knew the deteriorating condition of the infrastructure(dams, bridges.....) in the USA it would amaze you. Heck, it would frighten you.

Hmm that's reassuring
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/16/19 02:20 AM

We've wasted taxpayer money on less worthwhile projects.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/19/19 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
While I am against spending tax dollars on anything that does not benefit “the masses” I can not argue the above point^^^^^^!
Posted By: 9094

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/19/19 12:52 PM

I’m not sure it would be wasting money. As hard as it is to get a new lake built now days and with the water shortages we are going to see in the future with booming populations it seems like a wise investment to repair these dams for future water use. The lakes are already there so so need for government and environmental approvals to build a new lake.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/19/19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

I’m not sure it would be wasting money. As hard as it is to get a new lake built now days and with the water shortages we are going to see in the future with booming populations it seems like a wise investment to repair these dams for future water use. The lakes are already there so so need for government and environmental approvals to build a new lake.

Kind of rubs me wrong to spend my tax money on someone else's private lake...…. If they are going to spend public dollars to repair, it needs to be a public lake.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/19/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
[quote=9094]
Kind of rubs me wrong to spend my tax money on someone else's private lake...…. If they are going to spend public dollars to repair, it needs to be a public lake.

I agree.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/20/19 03:53 PM

I hope they build new dams with tax money and make new public ramps by each new dam....no gripe from me if that is what they do
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/20/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by txmasterpo
I hope they build new dams with tax money and make new public ramps by each new dam....no gripe from me if that is what they do

Don't need new dams, just new gates on top of the dams.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/23/19 03:06 PM

It's completely wrong for taxpayer dollars to go towards fixing the McQueeney dam. A "public" lake with no public access ain't a public lake... so "public" money (taxes) shouldn't go towards fixing it.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/23/19 04:53 PM

Who needs a dam when a judge can stop water?

Re: Judge stops lake drainage from the Guadalupe - 09/23/19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by texasbassdude
It's completely wrong for taxpayer dollars to go towards fixing the McQueeney dam. A "public" lake with no public access ain't a public lake... so "public" money (taxes) shouldn't go towards fixing it.

This is reasonable. Not sure what the judges issue is. Perhaps they has had some good donations from property owners?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum