Texas Fishing Forum

i-pilot vs i-link pilot

Posted By: Rbob64

i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 03:29 PM

There's probably already plenty discussion on this topic but thought I would ask is it worth the additional $500 for I-link Pilot?
Posted By: wh2004

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 04:02 PM

I hope so since I just got It. Lol
Causes me to have to go with a smaller helix though.
Posted By: Dean74

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 05:29 PM

Yes it’s worth it
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 05:35 PM

I have the link version. Bought Helix units too. I didn’t use it, and disliked the Helix units. So, now I have a Link version with Lowrance and I haven’t missed the kagillion extra spot lock saves or the follow the contour feature.

So. I’m in the “not worth it” camp after having bought and used the feature.
Posted By: squib

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 06:17 PM

It has been worth it to me, but I can see how others would not use it.
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 06:29 PM

I like the link version, just for the follow the contour function.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 06:31 PM

I have been researching it too, and I think the link features are more applicable to your catfish and crappie guys who slow troll/drift for bites.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I have the link version. Bought Helix units too. I didn’t use it, and disliked the Helix units. So, now I have a Link version with Lowrance and I haven’t missed the kagillion extra spot lock saves or the follow the contour feature.

I followed the same path. Wish I hadn't paid for it.
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 09:07 PM

I have it and well worth it to fish ledges and drop offs. I can set the follow the contour and follow a certain contour to follow the ledge or I can set to fish 20' off of the bank. Every one will have a opinon on it.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 10:16 PM

IMO the I-Pilot feature is almost worthless if you don't have the link option. I have an I-Pilot Trolling motor but pretty much only use the spot-lock function.

Wishing I would have paid for the upgrade to link when I had the trolling motor installed prior to purchase.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I'm confused.

So link with Hummingbird - Not Good
link with Lowrance - Good

??
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 10:32 PM

The link version comes with the flat screen remote, I've been told, and what I know from experience is the flatscreen remote is FOR SURE the remote you want especially for the spot lock and waypoint save features built in the remote. Its amazing. backlit buttons would be nice!

i pilot link all the way. Also for resale the links seem to be desired. If you like to slow drift contours, ya it does that and its amazing, paired with the HB maps that is. Also the autopilot feature which might be stock on most of the new units is also amazing for just taking it easy out on the water letting boat "drive itself" while you rest on way to different spot close by, or beating a bank..

I cant wait to rig my boat with a pilot link soon. Im still working on mega side imaging and linked mapping etc.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/09/19 10:54 PM

Follow contour is great on larger non stump filled lakes. Contour offset is good as well as I track offset....

I record i tracks on break walls, dams etc. I use that feature because I can set it to run my track and hit spot lock to stop and fish a area more or land fish and hit it again to resume. Its especially useful in heavy wind. Ill pull out my remote on a new lake and record I tracks on the dam and some walls I think look fishy while driving around on the big motor.

The touch screen remote sucks and is always being set off in the rain etc, I hang it from a belt loop. Ive resorted to using the mini remote for jog etc or my helix for jog mostly.

Here are the additional features included in i-Pilot Link:

Spot Lock: Same as i-Pilot but you can store up to 2500 different spot lock positions.

iTracks: Same as i-Pilot but you can store up to 66 different tracks.

iTrack Offset: Set a predetermined distance from your prerecorded route and your motor will follow the same route at that distance.

Backtrack: Retrace your route in reverse.

Follow The Contour: Follow underwater contour lines. For example, you can direct your motor to follow a route at a 25’ depth.

Contour Offset: Set a predetermined distance from your contour and your motor will follow the contour at that distance.

Circle Mode: Program your motor to circle a spot lock position from a fixed distance.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/10/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Boomerbrewer
I like the link version, just for the follow the contour function.

You must fish some featureless lakes!

I couldn’t use it because it doesn’t care that there is 100 boat docks in the “contour line”, or tree stumps for that matter. I did use it a few times. I just couldn’t stand the constant corrections it made to the course.

Did I mention boat docks! Hahaha the thing would literally RAM a dock if you let it.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/10/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
IMO the I-Pilot feature is almost worthless if you don't have the link option. I have an I-Pilot Trolling motor but pretty much only use the spot-lock function.

Wishing I would have paid for the upgrade to link when I had the trolling motor installed prior to purchase.

The stored spots and go to feature are great. Set two or three along a ledge or other offshore structure and cycle through them at the touch of a button...

I also use the heading auto pilot, I can stay off the bank or on contour with slight adjustments instead of constant foot pressure.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: i-pilot vs i-link pilot - 09/10/19 01:26 PM

If you already have iPilot, you can purchase an iPilot LINK upgrade from Minn Kota for $800. DO NOT buy it from Minn Kota Factory Outlet store on line. They are NOT Minn Kota and they only sell the old version for pre 2017 iPilot TM. They will tell you it is the correct one and then you will spend 3 weeks talking to a dipsheet in Egypt trying to get your money back. I know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum