Texas Fishing Forum

Got the go ahead for a new graph

Posted By: New_Guy

Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 05:31 AM

My wife actually told me today that she would like for me to get a new graph for the boat so I need some help. I’m torn on garmin or Lowrance. I have a striker 7sv up front but haven’t really ever gotten a super clear picture on structure and the lowrance graphs my buddies have look great, but from my reading their customer service is no good. I’ve looked at the elite TI’s, hook series, and echo maps. Looking to spend about 1k or less, so right at a 9 inch graph. Could I get some pro’s and con’s. Also some personal experiences? Thanks guys
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 10:24 AM

For that price ti9 is the way to go. Super clear, easy to use, sync with other devices (smart phone) but the all in one transducer is large so it won't mount on a minn kota because of their skeg design.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 01:08 PM

Look in the Trading post section
Posted By: sktr300zx

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 05:38 PM

well i absolutely love my Garmins!! I made the big switch earlier this year after 35 yrs of Lowrance. I went with 2 93sv plus and the Garmin Livescope and it is awesome!!! the 93sv plus runs right at a grand and has great clarity. they are super user friendly as well.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 05:58 PM

What were the wife's exact words that gave you the go ahead? This could be a set up.

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 07:40 PM

lol it’s not a set up, she’s a good one. Got a vote for lowrance and a vote for garmin.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 08:05 PM

Lowrance
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 11:23 PM

Elite TI2 9.... $999
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 11:43 PM

Garmin all the way.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 11:48 PM

I only have experience with Lowrance out of your 2 choices, so far not impressed. I know it’s not one of your 2 choices but I would choose Huminbird Helix.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/05/19 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Elite TI2 9.... $999

Best value for your money graph!

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
I only have experience with Lowrance out of your 2 choices, so far not impressed. I know it’s not one of your 2 choices but I would choose Huminbird Helix.

I’m not a huge humminbird fan, I struggled learning and reading the 998 I had. It’s getting replaced cause it finally quit on me lol. It was a gift so I can’t complain one bit. Most of my buddies have lowrance and I could read them and they seemed much more clear to me. I have a garmin up front is the only reason I’ve considered getting an echomap. And I like the fact that I can get a 9 inch with side scan whereas I’d only be able to get about a 7-8 inch helix for the same cost. Not knocking them at all, I rode with a guide who had a helix 12, I just like look of lowrance and garmin better.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by New_Guy
Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

I’m not a huge humminbird fan, I struggled learning and reading the 998 I had. It’s getting replaced cause it finally quit on me lol. It was a gift so I can’t complain one bit. Most of my buddies have lowrance and I could read them and they seemed much more clear to me. I have a garmin up front is the only reason I’ve considered getting an echomap. And I like the fact that I can get a 9 inch with side scan whereas I’d only be able to get about a 7-8 inch helix for the same cost. Not knocking them at all, I rode with a guide who had a helix 12, I just like look of lowrance and garmin better.

That’s what is so great about our country, we have many choices, including graphs to locate a fish! They are all good and I hope you get what you’re looking for.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
Garmin all the way.

The boat I sold had the Garmin's on them they were easy to use and very clear.
My current Skeeter has Lowrance front and back and I hate them.
Posted By: cwil

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 04:57 AM

[/quote]

I’m not a huge humminbird fan, I struggled learning and reading the 998 I had.[/quote]

If you struggled with the bird, lowrance will be no easier to learn, have had several of both brands and Lowrance has more settings and customization. I have never used the garmins. Research and compare between models. figure out which features you most want to use or are most important. I had some 7" lowrance elites(not current models) that the GPS was too slow. I would actually outrun the map updating going across the lake. When on trolling motor I could do more than a 180degree turn before the mapping would update. but the sonar was spot on. Those had to go, because the mapping was more important to me. I wanted fast map updating and gps.

Whichever you decide, you will have better experience if you take time and research how to setup, read, and interpret the images. many places for learning this. Familiarize yourself with the different menus and most used settings and adjustments. Good luck
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 07:26 AM

My current bass boat is set up with HB from factory, a 998 at the console and a 788 or something up front. I added a Lowrance HDS-12. Before buying this boat, I added a Humminbird Helix 7 to my old bass boat. The center console has a Lowrance Ti-9 on it. My dad's bass boat has a Helix on it. Point is, I've used both HB and Lowrance a bunch. My personal favorite is the HDS-12 by a landslide. HB Helix does have a great screen on it(not that the HDS doesn't) and it is cheaper, but I have zero confidence in what the Helix units show me for some reason. I can't speak much for Garmin other than they have a great display as well. Honestly, the displays have gotten so much better over the last 8 years or so I don't think you can go wrong as far as screen clarity goes. As others have mentioned, the key is buying one you think you'll like and then putting the time in setting it up and learning how to use it.

And I know you mentioned a Ti9, not an HDS-9, but you might watch ebay. I have bought 2 brand new HDS-12's with TotalScan for about $1,450 each and seen HDS-9's with TotalScan just a hair over that $1,000 mark.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 08:54 AM

Nobody has asked this question, which to me should be asked first. What type of trolling motor do you own? If it's a Motorguide Xi3 or 5, get the Lowrance HDS or Ti and you can link your trolling motor to your graph. If you have a Minn Kota GPS type trolling motor, they link with Hummingbird. If linking isn't a feature you need or want, most graphs today are head and tails better than the graphs of 5-7 years ago.
I own the HDS Live 9 and a Motorguide Xi5 on my bay boat. Spot lock is darn good on the trolling motor and the 3-1 transducer is awesome. Sidescan is clear and I regularly use fish reveal (which a lot of people turn off)
MY suggestion is to buy the best electronics you can afford. Between Garmin's Panoptics and Lowrance's Livescope, you can spend as much as you want. Heck, I just fished with a buddy offshore and he's got two 24inch Simrad plotters. We watched the Golf Channel on the way in from offshore two weekends ago on his graph. Get a graph that matches your style/type of fishing. Lowrance vs Hummingbird or Garmin is a Chevy vs Ford discussion.

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/06/19 02:20 PM

Photo I just have an old fortrex. Thanks for all the opinions and help guys, I went with the lowrance And have a good friend who’s always ran them and is gonna help me set it up
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/07/19 05:01 AM

Hold your money till the new ones come out and get the year old model that guys are unloading for cheaper. If you want a well supported unit go garmin.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Got the go ahead for a new graph - 09/07/19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by rxkid2001
Hold your money till the new ones come out and get the year old model that guys are unloading for cheaper. If you want a well supported unit go garmin.

When is that going to happen?
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum