Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota Precision on board charger

Posted By: Bryce612

Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/04/19 03:41 AM

Anybody have issues with their’s getting really hot? I have the 3 bank 6 amp and it got so hot that you could only put your hand on it for about a second. It also made the sticker on the front bubble up. Normal charge time is 10-12 hours and it was charging for 10 hours and only showing 25% which is what it showed when charging began. It’s only 4 months old but I’m thinking it may be no good.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/04/19 04:01 AM

That’s not normal. Unplug it and disconnect from the batteries until you figure it out. I install those into show cars on a regular basis, and I’ve NEVER had one get hot.

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/04/19 04:27 AM

I didn’t think it should get that hot so I did unplug and disconnect it. Just glad I went and checked on it. Website says up to 150° so I’ll be calling the service dept tomorrow. Hopefully they stand behind the 3 yr warranty.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/04/19 09:52 PM

Not normal and happened to me. I actually heard a hissing noise come from the charger. Scared the heck out of me. Good luck with customer service. Mine was only 5 months old and still had a horrible time getting a replacement. Customer service is not Johnson Outdoor's best suit.

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/05/19 02:41 AM

Yeah I was afraid of that. Not expecting a quick turn around just hoping that they do replace it. I hate to see how much it’s going to cost to ship it back.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/05/19 01:02 PM

Please keep us updated on this
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/05/19 01:16 PM

[censored] ! I just bought the 3 bank 6 amp myself . I sure hope this isn't going to be a waste of money .
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/05/19 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson
[censored] ! I just bought the 3 bank 6 amp myself . I sure hope this isn't going to be a waste of money .

I went through 3 different minnkota chargers before I gave up and bought a DualPro Charger. Wound up just eating the cost of the minnkota plus the shipping costs to get it back to them twice.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/06/19 02:34 AM

There is no chance it should get that hot . The inductors , windings , caps and electronic components are typically rated a MAX of 85C .
When you push those temperatures really high , you shorten the life all the internal components , not to mention , create a short or start a fire .
You can pick up an inexpensive I/R heat gun on Amazon for $20.00 and take an actual reading on the surface area and then contact the manufacturer to see what they say .
good luck ----
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/06/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by bbassfishes
Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson

I went through 3 different minnkota chargers before I gave up and bought a DualPro Charger. Wound up just eating the cost of the minnkota plus the shipping costs to get it back to them twice.

Hope the DualPro lasts for you. I bought a Ranger RB190 in January of this year and the 3 bank DualPro has been replaced twice under warranty. I was thinking about a MinnKota if it goes out again.
Who makes an on board charger that lasts???

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/06/19 11:17 AM

The DualPro that is on my boat is 2 yrs old and has a internal short that trips the GFCI plug .
Coincidentally It died after all the power surges from the lightning in the recent storms and I can't help but wonder if adding a surge protector would save the chargers .
Its something I just don't think about using for the shop or garage .

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/07/19 02:07 AM

I’ve been doing as much research as possible and reading reviews on Amazon. The ProMariner is cheaper and seems to only last a year or so. The Noco Genius is more comparable to the Minn Kota price but there are plenty of bad reviews on it as well and most say that their customer service is garbage. I was thinking about chalking the Minn Kota up as a loss and putting the money to ship it back towards a new charger but can’t find anything to make it worth it. I guess it’s just hit or miss with these chargers since some people have had good luck.

Will be contacting Minn Kota Monday. Will update y’all on what they say and how much it costs me to ship it back.
Posted By: n_texas_basser

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/07/19 12:29 PM

I've had only one die in 6 years, otherwise I've been extremely happy with the 460PC I have; unlike the Dual Pro's that died twice in a 3 year period. I'd also like to say that I've been more than happy with Johnson Outdoors' customer service, excellent! Both on the charger and Ultrex service. They are very accommodating and ship very quickly. The best advice I can give when dealing with customer service, I always start as being very respectful and cordial, which usually results in the customer service representative being very nice and accommodating; now if they start to be difficult and unreasonable then I'll get straight with them.

Also on overheating, it honestly sounds like you have an issue, call it in! As for longevity of the charger and especially in Texas: in the summer I always run a fan to blow air over the batteries and charger to minimize the heat standing in the back compartment; not only does that get the gases out of there from the batteries but keeping that charger cool will increase the life of the electrical components of your charger
Posted By: buda13

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/07/19 02:28 PM

I have the 4 bank MK charger, came with my boat when I bought it 5 years ago and had been in there for about 3 years prior to my purchase. Has been great and is quick to let me know when i have a battery going bad.
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/07/19 03:05 PM

I have a MK 3 bank charger that was in the boat when I bought it over a year ago and it has been great. I think it is a 2016 model. ProMariner used to be one of the best but after they were bought out, not so good anymore. Everything went to China ! Now a days, you just take a chance on everything.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/07/19 05:56 PM

I tried the NOCO genius 1 bank charger on my pontoon and have been really happy with its performance. It's totally waterproof, which is good since it sites in an exposed location near the motor. Had a Minn Kota on every other boat I have owned. Never had a problem with them either. No over heating issues.

https://no.co/brands/noco-genius

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/10/19 11:54 AM

I checked the temp on the minn kota precision 3 bank 6 amp charger on a 95 deg day with a infrared temp gun and it was staying at 115 deg all day . I will use a surge protector and cross my fingers .

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/11/19 03:01 AM

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what temp could be expected on a hot day. I will be using a surge protector this time. I should have been using one to begin with.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/11/19 03:44 PM

Ive had them get warm even in TX heat never get so hot I can't touch.

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/15/19 10:21 PM

So I called and customer service was great. I gave them the serial number and told them it was getting extremely hot. They emailed me a shipping label and said that as soon as I drop it off at the UPS Store they will send me a replacement. This model is on back order so they said as soon as it is available it will ship to me. Super easy process.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/15/19 11:48 PM

Glade they’re going to get it replaced for you.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/16/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bryce612
So I called and customer service was great. I gave them the serial number and told them it was getting extremely hot. They emailed me a shipping label and said that as soon as I drop it off at the UPS Store they will send me a replacement. This model is on back order so they said as soon as it is available it will ship to me. Super easy process.

So....let me get right. As soon as you SHIP THEM YOURS, YOU’LL BE WITHOUT A CHARGER AND PLACED ON A WAITING LIST FOR A REPLACEMENT? ummm I’d be kinda mad, but you seem “ok” with the situation. bang

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/17/19 04:18 AM

Honestly hated to hear that they are on back order because who knows how long it will take but I’m ok with it since I’m not able to fish at the moment. Fixing an electrical issue with the motor that I haven’t had much time to mess with. Hopefully be back on the water by the time the weather starts cooling down.

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/28/19 01:53 AM

Received my new charger today. Only had to wait 12 days with it being on back order. Hopefully this one will last a while.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Minn Kota Precision on board charger - 09/29/19 02:52 PM

had nothing but mk chargers for as long as I can remember, never any problems with any of them. have worn out a couple or 3 but none have ever taken a dump on me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum