Texas Fishing Forum

Cheap polarized glasses

Posted By: SnK1993

Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 02:53 AM

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for cheap sunglasses. My 3rd pair of Coastas are at the bottom of the broken bow River and I'm not buying another expensive pair for a long time
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 03:09 AM

Strike King has a few models.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 03:19 AM

You know they make floating retainers for sunglasses right?
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 03:19 AM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1339774866171135/
Posted By: SnK1993

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 03:23 AM

Yes I just don't like extra stuff on my sunglasses. It bugs me
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 10:45 AM

I've been very impressed with my Sun Cloud polarized glasses from Dick's. They are only $50 and have held up well for a over a year.

The optical clarity is much better than the Strike King pair I had.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 10:53 AM

Yum makes a $5 pair that are great from Walmart. I don’t loose them but seem to drop them. I have 3 pairs of maui Jims with shattered lenses that need to be sent back. I went on a boycott after the last pair shattered that was only a couple of months old.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 11:12 AM

I’ve had good luck with pugs, I bought a pair of foster grant from Walmart just last week and I really like them. They were only $14. I found them in the jewelry section. I’m in the same boat as you. I lose them and break them so much that I just can’t make myself spend a bunch of money on sunglasses anymore
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 11:36 AM

If you like the higher end glasses maybe look into Amphibia. I have never had a pair but supposedly they float.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 12:08 PM

Give Solar Bat a look. Been very happy with there lower end eye wear and very light.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
If you like the higher end glasses maybe look into Amphibia. I have never had a pair but supposedly they float.

Definitely check out Amphibia.
Have had mine drop in the lake twice in the last year and they do float, not to mention they also have a large selection of frames and lenses including my bifocals so this old goat can see to tie knots etc.
Gave a pair to my future son in law and he said they were the best pair of sunglasses he has ever owned.
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 01:02 PM

I have Costas and also have Some Yum and Booya sunglasses from walmart and really can not tell the difference. I am done spending money on high priced sunglasses.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Jackson
Yum makes a $5 pair that are great from Walmart. I don’t loose them but seem to drop them. I have 3 pairs of maui Jims with shattered lenses that need to be sent back. I went on a boycott after the last pair shattered that was only a couple of months old.

Yep - comfortable & lightweight, I have them all over the place, cars, boat, garage.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snook20

You know what bugs me worse than a sunglass strap - a $200 pair of sunglasses at the bottom of the lake
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by Snook20

You know what bugs me worse than a sunglass strap - a $200 pair of sunglasses at the bottom of the lake

Lmao
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 02:38 PM

Life's too short for wearing cheap arse sunglasses. Your eyes are worth the quality, imo.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 03:18 PM

YUM brand at Walmart . 5$ They work just fine .
Posted By: jvc58dke

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 05:56 PM

Another vote for Strike King for cheap polarized.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 07:11 PM

Not sure what your budget is but Steepandcheap.com has been blowing out Costas lately for under $100.00. The Srike KIng S11's are great for the money - usually less than $30 on Amazon.

They carry most brands at great prices if another pair of Costas is not your thing. https://www.steepandcheap.com/sunglasses?p=gender%3Amale%7Cbrand%3ACosta&nf=1
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 07:14 PM

I've bought the Pugs polarized for years, they have been between $20 and $30 and cheap enough to toss when they get scratched. They're probably going to go up in price though, I see them starting to be advertised on some of the fishing shows, that's a sure sign of a price increase. hammer
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNING STRONG
YUM brand at Walmart . 5$ They work just fine .

Got a pair of these and use them often no problem.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/30/19 09:24 PM

Thought this was about a ZZ Top song?
Posted By: DJB

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/31/19 12:07 AM

Pugs
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/31/19 12:42 AM

Strike king on amazon pretty cheap
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 08/31/19 12:54 AM

I sure wish someone would make cheap ones in prescription like they do the cheap reader glasses. With my prescription changng every year, it would get real expensive to buy a pair of good sunglasses and regular ones too.
Posted By: BCB

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/01/19 01:54 AM

We know from the inside that Strike King has spent plenty on the best polarized coatings in the inexpensive sunglass market. There are a variety of SK models and the simplest method is the cost dictates the quality with all of those above mid range having the better coatings. They will not last like the expensive models of others.

We were a Hobie dealer and cooperated with them when they did the Sight Master Series with yellow lenses. Those were a takeoff an older cheap brand glass sunglasses pair. Costa is now a part of the sunglasses conglomerate and all of their lenses are good and they make their own lenses. They also make a lens for another company that takes an extra step in the coating process that Costa and RayBan don’t, that is Vicious. Dr. Doug (eye doc) at Vicious has them make his lenses and he did a tremendous amount of research on the lense coating.

If we wanted the very best inexpensive lense that would be Strike King. If we wanted the best easy to access quality pair then Costa is good and there are others. If we were after the best pair and the best fit, we would let Vicious get someone to fit us up.

BCB
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/02/19 01:29 AM

I need to get my hands on a pair of these.

Originally Posted by BCB
We know from the inside that Strike King has spent plenty on the best polarized coatings in the inexpensive sunglass market. There are a variety of SK models and the simplest method is the cost dictates the quality with all of those above mid range having the better coatings. They will not last like the expensive models of others.

We were a Hobie dealer and cooperated with them when they did the Sight Master Series with yellow lenses. Those were a takeoff an older cheap brand glass sunglasses pair. Costa is now a part of the sunglasses conglomerate and all of their lenses are good and they make their own lenses. They also make a lens for another company that takes an extra step in the coating process that Costa and RayBan don’t, that is Vicious. Dr. Doug (eye doc) at Vicious has them make his lenses and he did a tremendous amount of research on the lense coating.

If we wanted the very best inexpensive lense that would be Strike King. If we wanted the bets easy to access quality pair then Costa is good and there are others. If we were after the best pair and the best fit, we would let Vicious get someone to fit us up.

BCB
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/02/19 04:24 AM

Had a pair of strike kings on at the beach a few weeks ago. Went into the surf and they got wet. Dryed them off with a t shirt and the polarized coating rubbed off too. Spotted vision. Trashed em.
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/02/19 06:33 PM

Can believe nobody has mentioned the the Renegade brand glasses also sold at Walmart. They are a great deal for the $19.95 they sell for. Clear, thick POLYCARBONATE lens, coatings that last - unlike the strike kings selling for the same price. They come in a hard case.

I’ve watched several pair of $100+ sunglasses go overboard, ouch. Give them Renegades a look.
Posted By: LO419

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/16/19 02:26 AM

Google Shady Rays. I got 2 pair of the x-series for the price of one (about $50-60). They have a lifetime warranty which even includes losing them (no joke). So far I have no complaints. They are about as good as my Costa 580P’s. Just google shady rays coupons too and you’ll get a code to enter for 50% off order.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/16/19 12:56 PM

I like the Shady Rays- Lots of lens colors to choose from. I keep a pair in the boat just as a back up but also use them for driving, sports, etc. I have tried the Strike Kings and for some reason just not a fan.

I LOVE my Costas! Have def returned to the ramp to get from the truck after forgetting them lol.

steepandcheap.com is a great place to go for deals on name brand sunglasses! can also try jomashop.com they have great deals as well.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/18/19 08:16 PM

My kid's got expensive everything, so I had him put on my "from the Walmart Vision Center" $25 over the glasses sunglasses to compare them with his. He said they worked just fine. So maybe they're not that bad. Also had a situation this spring when my buddy said he was seeing fish all over....but I wasn't. He was wearing Yums. Now I'm a bit shorter and was in the back of the boat, so that may have made a difference. But I have had other pairs of inexpensive sunglasses and those Walmart ones that I am using now are better.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/18/19 09:41 PM

Shady Ray's would be my pick
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/19/19 02:20 PM

I wear prescription glasses and for decades used either Cocoons or Fitovers at $50 a pop. I now get a similar pair at WalMart in the eyeglasses dept. for $25 that work as well as the previously mentioned brands.

I did have a pair of prescription Costas years ago that were $500, wraparound frames that had sort of a "fisheye mirror" effect on the periphery. No bueno.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/19/19 02:48 PM

With my prescription changing will not buy a pair of 500.00 - 350.00 sunglasses . Walmart fit overs will be fine .
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/19/19 03:10 PM

YUM 5 $ AT WALLY WORLD
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/19/19 03:16 PM

I still use Bill Dance for fishing. Bought them around 25 years ago, $7.99.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/20/19 05:05 PM

Easy.....super easy.
Strike King S11 $30 at Academy.
I've had a pair for a year.....no scratches.
Posted By: John Stockman

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/22/19 10:08 AM

I've been a Smith guy for about 6 years. Then switched to SPY. Saying that I looked into bringing ShadyRays on as a trail sponsor. Got a few pair to try out. The lenses seem really good and the warranty is hard to beat. Like others have said you can get in on a special and get 2 pair for about $50. Now for honest review. The lenses seem on par with the higher priced shades can't comment on scratch resistance or longevity. Here's why I don't like ShadyRays. The fit and finish is where the cheap price point becomes evident. Of course I'm used to the $200 price point shades but to me if they're not comfortable they are no good.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/22/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNING STRONG
YUM 5 $ AT WALLY WORLD

As much as I loose sunglasses those have been great for me! thumb

Side Note: Every now and then you can get them on clearense for $3.89 cheers
Posted By: BYC Racing

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/26/19 05:21 AM

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Eye_Surrender_ESE_Sunglasses/descpage-ESES.html
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/26/19 12:09 PM

Costa Permits are the only ones I have found that fit my big head comfortably. Since I will not pay $249 for a pair I get them on Ebay. It took a little time, but I paid $65 for my last pair of blue lens 580glass and they came new in the box and still had the sticker on the lens.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/26/19 03:19 PM

I had a legit warranty issue with Solar Bat and the gal I tried to do business was a complete idiot. Not saying that it's the norm but they lost a customer that day.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/26/19 04:14 PM

I bought my first pair of Costas last year and was giddy I finally got a pair. Now my wife loves them!! I wear my Strike King glasses. Something about the lenses on the Costas that seemed to impair my vision.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/27/19 05:15 AM

IU tried the Costas but wasn't impressed with them. I thought they'd be noticeably better than the cheap glasses I had always used but they didn't seem to be for me. I used my free pair of glasses a few years ago for some maui jims and got the same result. Now they sit in my glove box and never get used because I forget they are there.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Cheap polarized glasses - 09/27/19 09:51 PM

I wore Strike King for years, went to Maui Jim until I needed prescription lenses and now wear RayBan which are not that much better than the old Strike Kings were.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum