Texas Fishing Forum

A homemade line spooler

Posted By: Catfanman

A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 02:29 AM

I just saw a guy on youtube who made a line spooler by pushing a screwdriver thru a cardboard box so I improved his idea by pushing a pencil thru and putting a hole thru the front to this the line better so what y'all think ? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 02:37 AM

Put a towel underneath to provide friction on the spool otherwise it will bird nest... gives the box some extra weight too
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 10:43 AM

I like this BETTER than my block of wood with 2 eye hole screws & a pencil --- much cheaper
But my block of wood is easier to store & I just turn the screws to put friction on the pencil so that the spool does not bird nest
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 12:20 PM

It's better than the piece of soap Piscifun spooler I bought. If I tried I don't think I could have put more twists on a spinning reel.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 12:33 PM

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Portable_Line_Spooler_Max/descpage-BMXT.html
I don't have this version (I have the older one) but I use the Berkley spooling station. It used to come with a line stripper. But I like how the newer version, you can spool straight onto a spinning reel spool and start off fishing with 0 line twist.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 01:03 PM

For those bigger spools I just use a ice bucket from the hotel....works perfect..
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 01:13 PM

Ingenuity is what makes things work, good going. I too made mine and have about $3.00 in it.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 01:25 PM

I have a couple pretty simple things I made to spool and de-spool. Just random [censored] I found around the garage...

The first image is the spool holder. Bent metal, a long nut and a spring. The spring is to put tension on the spool so that it does not spin freely. The nut on the end allows me to tighten or loosen as I need to. To hold it I either spring clamp it to something, or put my foot on it. nice when you are sitting in the living room watching fishing stuff on YouTube and relining your reels.

The second image, even a simpler concept... takes the line off with help of a drill.. that one is pretty self explanatory. I put the drill on high and the line is off the real in seconds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 02:15 PM

I made these from some supplies left over on a job
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by JohnF67
It's better than the piece of soap Piscifun spooler I bought. If I tried I don't think I could have put more twists on a spinning reel.

My experience also with spinning reels. It is a solution (though expensive overkill) solution for bait casting reels.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 02:58 PM

My long time fishing buddy has the best line spooler of all------one finger on his left hand and one finger on his right. Since he can't catch a cold much less a fish that's all he is good for!!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/30/19 07:17 PM

I made this and a longer one from alum. angle and rod. The shorter one in photo stays in the boat with small spools ‘just in case’ and the longer one in the shop for bulk spools/changing out old line. The elastic bands work great to keep tension on spool in storage and when spooling reels.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slim 285

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/31/19 12:06 AM

I would not want the line rubbing the cardboard box.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/31/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Choogie Chunker
I made this and a longer one from alum. angle and rod. The shorter one in photo stays in the boat with small spools ‘just in case’ and the longer one in the shop for bulk spools/changing out old line. The elastic bands work great to keep tension on spool in storage and when spooling reels.

[Linked Image]

My Skeeter came with something similar installed on the Port rod box as a factory installed option. It had room for about 4 1000 yd spools or several filler spools.

.......but, NONE BEAT THE BONDING EXPERIENCE OF HAVING YOUR WIFE HOLD THE SPOOL ON A PENCIL AND, AFTER YEARS OF HELPING, SHE HOLDS PERFECT TENSION! Hahaha.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: A homemade line spooler - 08/31/19 05:22 PM

I store my line in a plastic shoe box and have a bolt.that runs all the way through with 2 nuts and a washer. With 1 nut.it will either loosen all the way off or tighten too tight.

Works nicely on the boat or at home/hotel.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: A homemade line spooler - 09/01/19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by David Welcher
[Linked Image]

Similar to what I have in my shop. I only have one and change spoils out as needed. I only have about 4 spools of line I use regularly.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: A homemade line spooler - 09/01/19 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the input and whoever said the towel underneath idea it made it work great
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum