Texas Fishing Forum

Sleeping in your tow vehicle.?

Posted By: Chris_K

Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 10:38 PM

I’m traveling in November to fish a tournament. I plan to sleep in the back of my SUV. My limited google searches of the area lead me to believe state parks and campsites will be closed down before this date so parking there is out of the question.. so now. I’m planning to park at the ramp, cook a little dinner on a small cooktop and be in my vehicle the rest of the time. There aren’t any issues with sleeping in a public parking lot is there? I’ve never done this before so just making sure what I should expect. Thanks.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 10:43 PM

Me and two other fishing buddy's of mine did it for years. I would check on the FORUM to see way kind of area this tournament is going to be held just for safety sake!

there was always three of us doing it.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 10:47 PM

I did it for years when i was young and broke. Never had a problem. What do you mean the state parks will be closed then?

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 10:56 PM

The state park campsites close 10/15 there.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 11:01 PM

Walmart.

I can sleep like a baby in my truck. If I head off somewhere and want to stay another day or dont feel up to the drive back I'll park her at Walmart and let her idle all night with the AC blowing.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_K
The state park campsites close 10/15 there.

What state park?

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/29/19 11:47 PM

Shawnee bend state park
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 02:13 AM

You should never sleep in your vehicle with the motor constantly running, Co2 poisoning is a real thing.
You wont wake up.
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 02:15 AM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...VNEEQqcVxvW-1JkS03JuqsAlobh3nBGrNIIuQWbP
Posted By: Jawz

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 03:26 AM

Will you need power to charge up your batteries?
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_K
Shawnee bend state park

I have no idea where that is, but I do hunt out of state a lot and when they "shut down" the parks that usually means they just cut off the water so nothing freezes and ruptures.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 05:43 AM

So, if you not in a blizzard where snow traps cO2 in and around your car, you should be fine.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Denny Crane
You should never sleep in your vehicle with the motor constantly running, Co2 poisoning is a real thing.
You wont wake up.

It's a wonder the tens of thousands of people in the oilfield who sit in their pickup 12+ hours a day just looking out their window at a rig or something haven't all died. Your link talks about a vehicle that was surrounded by large snow drifts, trapping the CO2 in the area. There's a difference. I see no reason it wouldn't be safe unless you're expecting a large snow.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 10:48 AM

Chris K --- I like your style
if you do the Wal-Mart parking lot you don't even have to cook --- use their Deli option & TV is free in their electronic section, just pop in a video grab a folding chair and there you go
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 12:13 PM

You wont wake up.

That is a pretty broad and absolute statement. I have slept in a running vehicle before and I've never died, not even a little bit
Posted By: 361V

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 12:48 PM

I understand the “warnings” of everyone about CO poisoning and all but see all the dozens of dead people sleeping in their cars at roadside rest stops? Didn’t think so! laugh
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 01:49 PM

might want to see if there is a nearby truck stop...food,restrooms and sometimes a free shower is available...
Posted By: bladerunner

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 01:54 PM

You might look for an RV park to park your rig. They will have showers, restrooms, power and sometimes wifi.

I've done the Walmart thing, its not bad but they are well lit (good for anti-theft-bad for sleeping) and hearing the beeping/honking of car doors being locked/unlocked then opened and slammed shut keep me up all night. just my experience.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
might want to see if there is a nearby truck stop...food,restrooms and sometimes a free shower is available...

You might also find a lady of the night..
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 02:11 PM

Ahhh the good old days. Did it many of nights at the boat ramp
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
You wont wake up.

That is a pretty broad and absolute statement. I have slept in a running vehicle before and I've never died, not even a little bit

how sure are you about this?
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 04:16 PM

You wont wake up.

Dang, I should have died about 83 times by now.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by GeoFisher
You wont wake up.

Dang, I should have died about 83 times by now.

Same here.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 05:27 PM

You wont wake up.

What am i supposed to believe.. Yahoo/Google, or my own personal experience.? My truck is a Duramax, straight piped without any emissions equipment on it. I let her idle all night with A/C blowing and never have any issue. Even when I had my 5.3 GM gas, I used to do the same. Never an issue. Hell, if anything it's good for that diesel. They love running. There's a reason when you pull up to a truck stop at night, you hear a sea of Peterbilts and Kenworths idling.

I can sleep better in my truck than in my own bed sometimes. The sound of a diesel engine rattling around will put me straight to sleep
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
You wont wake up.

What am i supposed to believe.. Yahoo/Google, or my own personal experience.? My truck is a Duramax, straight piped without any emissions equipment on it. I let her idle all night with A/C blowing and never have any issue. Even when I had my 5.3 GM gas, I used to do the same. Never an issue. Hell, if anything it's good for that diesel. They love running. There's a reason when you pull up to a truck stop at night, you hear a sea of Peterbilts and Kenworths idling.

I can sleep better in my truck than in my own bed sometimes. The sound of a diesel engine rattling around will put me straight to sleep

PREACH MY BROTHA'
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 06:30 PM

I sleep in the truck all the time if I'm truckin by myself. Slept in the truck in florida just last weekend when I was out picking a boat up and didn't wanna get a hotel. Find a quiet spot and don't disturb people and I've never had a problem. Boat ramps usually work.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 07:10 PM

F350 Hotel. Oilfield tested and approved.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 07:27 PM

Here's a better idea, get a full size truck and a camper. Then you get to sleep in your own bed every night you want. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 07:46 PM

Way back in the day used to park at the 154 roadbed at fork, launch on the roadbed the next morning. Had a 79 blazer with the fold up backseat. Real comfortable for two.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
Originally Posted by beartrap

You might also find a lady of the night..

Or be one....
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 09:08 PM

I used to have a Ram van back in the day I slept in all the time . It was great and on long trips me and my partner would take turns driving while the other snoozed.
Before that I spent many times sleeping on the deck of my boat in parks and on boat ramps.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/30/19 11:56 PM

Can't sleep in parking lot at Diablo east at Amistad, My nephew drove down and got there around 2 am and was going to take a 3 hour nap and park service made him leave. bang
Posted By: RandyD

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/31/19 03:15 AM

Make sure you pack your partners with you... Smith & Wesson...
Posted By: 361V

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 08/31/19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
Here's a better idea, get a full size truck and a camper. Then you get to sleep in your own bed every night you want. [Linked Image]
There an inexpensive alternative to one weekend of sleeping in your truck! laugh
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 09/01/19 10:38 PM

Try to find you a used topper that will fit your pickup. I have spent many a night in the back of a pickup with a topper on it .
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 09/02/19 07:04 PM

If it's a Corp lake they may close the campground but they'll leave one section open. They just don't want to have to pay a full-time attendant to sit in the office... I also know they discourage sleeping at the boat ramps... I read an article on Walmart and sleeping in the parking lot... They encourage it, well light, bathroom available, plus you'll normally go inside and buy a few things... Only drawback is they find a few dead bodies occasionally... Dan

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/...ts-as-people-meet-lonely-untimely-deaths
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Sleeping in your tow vehicle.? - 09/02/19 07:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Ive parked over night at ramps on fork and lake of the pines before, not sure its legal but nobody bothered me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum