Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Travis

Posted By: Jobie99

Lake Travis - 08/27/19 12:50 AM

I have decided to volunteer as a boat captain for our local high school fishing team this season. I've only been to 3 of the 6 lakes we are fishing this year. I was hoping I could get some pointers for fall fishing on Travis. My research so far has netted that it will more than likely be a moving bait bite with some fish still out deep. Im not looking for waypoints, but was hoping I could get some tips on baits and maybe general section of the lake to focus my effort on first. I plan on getting out at least once before the tournament. I really want to make sure the young men participating get bit and have a good time.
Thanks, Joe
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Lake Travis - 08/27/19 06:08 AM

Hey Joe, you might check out my website and hit the fishing reports section. I update it pretty often and give quite a bit of detail.

Come Fall a swim jig will be a key bait to have on deck... stick to shad colors or bluegill colors. You can also find good fish around the marinas, drop shots, flutter spoons, and wacky rigs on a weighted hook work well. In terms of a general section of the lake... can't help ya there, both the lower and and the upper end fish well. The lower end fishes more like a lake and the upper end fishes more like a river system in my option, so fish to your strengths and maybe that'll help you decide.

My website is
www.torwicksguidingservice.com

Re: Lake Travis - 08/27/19 05:14 PM

Thanks Tyler. I’ve never been on the water with either kid. I think getting them out in the water may be a good starting point.
Posted By: TxRabbitBane

Re: Lake Travis - 08/27/19 09:08 PM

Captaining for the high school tournaments is a lot of fun. Beware- there is more than a little (cough) helping the student fishermen going on sometimes.
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: Lake Travis - 08/28/19 08:42 PM

I prefer Bee Creek down to the dam. Skipping weightless wacky rigs up under docks, jerkbaits on secondary points in Big Sandy and Cypress Creek arms. Flats and humps on the inside of Arkansas Bend can be productive as well. Be prepared for extremely clear water. 15+ foot visibility has been common the past couple fall/winter seasons.

Re: Lake Travis - 08/30/19 01:31 AM

Thanks Crowbar, appreciate the insight👍
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum