Texas Fishing Forum

Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure..

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 01:49 AM

Old Roland broke out the helicopter lure in his latest video!
https://youtu.be/HQe2kwFwmOY
I remember being stoked to fish it when I was like 16 just like the freaking "flying lure". Y'all remember it!? As a kid I was a sucker for those tv promo lures. Y'all ever fish them? Any good stories about them? I remember buying it and then losing my mind since it would twist my line to oblivion even with the darn swivel. I only caught I 4 pounder in all the time I used it but the flying lure... Not gonna lie. I tore their tails up with that little squid.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 04:23 AM

The Legend just keeps fishing and catching them big ole bass.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 11:00 AM

Yeah I bought and regretted the helicopter lure too... But like you said the flying lure actually worked! If I had some of those jig heads would try to get a regular beaver style bait to do that reverse trick!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 12:33 PM

One of my fondest memories was Roland fishing in Mexico and someone catching a 18-20 lb bass (or something like that, it was huge). Apparently Roland thinks people are real stupid and tried to make it into a commercial. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about, it was hilarious & pathetic.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
One of my fondest memories was Roland fishing in Mexico and someone catching a 18-20 lb bass (or something like that, it was huge). Apparently Roland thinks people are real stupid and tried to make it into a commercial. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about, it was hilarious & pathetic.

I remember it well. Roland was fishing Baccarac with that guy out of San Diego and another of their group came hauling butt up to them with a 19 lber. The fish was dead and personally, I believe it was a fish they got from one of the netters. I used to catch bed fish on the helicopter lure, so they did work well for one application.

Here's the video of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQX5veoq9jc

Fast forward to 5:20 in the video.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman

I remember it well. Roland was fishing Baccarac with that guy out of San Diego and another of their group came hauling butt up to them with a 19 lber. The fish was dead and personally, I believe it was a fish they got from one of the netters. I used to catch bed fish on the helicopter lure, so they did work well for one application.

Here's the video of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQX5veoq9jc

Fast forward to 5:20 in the video.

Dang I had forgotten just how big that fish really was! Caught on a helicopter lure... roflmao
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/22/19 09:50 PM

Bs tv miracle lure just like other he promoted nothing more.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/23/19 12:02 AM

[quote=grout-scout]One of my fondest memories was Roland fishing in Mexico and someone catching a 18-20 lb bass (or something like that, it was huge). Apparently Roland thinks people are real stupid and tried to make it into a commercial. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about, it was hilarious & pathetic.[/quot

A Roland Martin show is a non-stop commercial with a little fishing mixed in. He'll be pushing Depends if he keeps fishing.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/23/19 01:10 AM

He's almost 80 now but he still has 9 AOY awards. I know one thing for sure, if he wanted to fish any circuit around here I'd sign up to be his partner in a heartbeat.

By the way, I saw a video a few days ago where Roland was fishing Seminole, probably in the early to mid 80s. The facial resemblance to Scott was striking.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/23/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
[quote=grout-scout]A Roland Martin show is a non-stop commercial with a little fishing mixed in. He'll be pushing Depends if he keeps fishing.

Doctor friend says "if you're 'lucky', and live long enough, you'll go from diapers to diapers."

Myself, my wife and a couple friends sat down at a table for lunch with Mr. Martin at the Classic in Houston. He was just finishing his lunch and we had just gotten ours. Unlike the way Roland was many years earlier, he welcomed us to share his table.

What impressed me most about the man? His fixation on the live feed, and Edwin Evers spending too much time on the bed fish behind a dock.

At 75 years of age, his competitive fire was raging. "ohh, how big you think that fish is? awwww, she missed it! Oh sonnn. What's he doing? He's been on that fish for 15-20-30 mins! You think he can catch her? Ohhh, I might have left her by now. Unless she's 7+. This is the Bassmaster Classic!" roflmao

p.s.- Roland helped to bring something we all use today to the forefront. The brilliant mind behind it was Mark Pack. Roland pushed it hard for a year. That's all it took.

tungsten weights

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/23/19 02:48 AM

You can tell how much he loves catching a fish, any fish, after all these years. That's what strikes me most about his videos.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/23/19 01:13 PM

Roland was an inspiration for me growing up. Probably the reason I drove to Florida at 22 years of age in search of a bigger bass than the 6 pounders our local marsh
could produce. I caught a 10 pounder my first morning fishing Florida. Thanks Roland!

I bought a reel on Ebay once and a guy called me up asking if it was okay if he sent the reel a few days late because he was fishing a tournament at Guntersville.
It was Scott Martin. We talked about fishing for about 20 minutes. Super nice guy. And you can tell he loves his Dad, Roland did good.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/24/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cali kid
Roland was an inspiration for me growing up. Probably the reason I drove to Florida at 22 years of age in search of a bigger bass than the 6 pounders our local marsh
could produce. I caught a 10 pounder my first morning fishing Florida. Thanks Roland!

I bought a reel on Ebay once and a guy called me up asking if it was okay if he sent the reel a few days late because he was fishing a tournament at Guntersville.
It was Scott Martin. We talked about fishing for about 20 minutes. Super nice guy. And you can tell he loves his Dad, Roland did good.

That's f×cking amazing
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/24/19 10:19 PM

my Roland martin story
....back in late 70's I lived in Greenville,Ms....I had taken a new job in another state midway though the club fishing year and had gone through a divorce so it was a tumultuous time in my life... but I continued to go back to Greenville to fish the monthly club tournaments because i was leading the points race when I moved...this club had 50-60 members and it was a big deal(at least to me) to win the points championship...

last tournament of the year and I won it and the club championship and I was proud of that but it was kind of an empty feeling because I really had nobody to share it with....
I was dating a lady and that night we went across the river to a small chinese restaurant in lake village,Ark... Roland Martin and another guy (Harold England) happened to come in and sat down at table beside us...it was really small place and we were almost sitting side by side....I recognized him and introduced myself and asked if he was fishing in the area...turns out he and Harold were turkey hunting someplace around there while their wives were competing in a Bass N Gal tourny on Ouachita river near Monroe,La...

we talked awhile and he asked if i was a fisherman and I told him I had just won a tourny today and club points championship for the year...he congratulated me on the win and wanted to know all about where and how I'd caught the fish and how I fished the oxbow lakes along the river and we talked fishing for probably an hour...keep in mind Roland had just won several angler of the year titles in a row yet his congratulations and interest in my fishing seemed genuine....and when I left that restaurant that night,my "empty feeling" had got a lot better...
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/24/19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
my Roland martin story
....back in late 70's I lived in Greenville,Ms....I had taken a new job in another state midway though the club fishing year and had gone through a divorce so it was a tumultuous time in my life... but I continued to go back to Greenville to fish the monthly club tournaments because i was leading the points race when I moved...this club had 50-60 members and it was a big deal(at least to me) to win the points championship...

last tournament of the year and I won it and the club championship and I was proud of that but it was kind of an empty feeling because I really had nobody to share it with....
I was dating a lady and that night we went across the river to a small chinese restaurant in lake village,Ark... Roland Martin and another guy (Harold England) happened to come in and sat down at table beside us...it was really small place and we were almost sitting side by side....I recognized him and introduced myself and asked if he was fishing in the area...turns out he and Harold were turkey hunting someplace around there while their wives were competing in a Bass N Gal tourny on Ouachita river near Monroe,La...

we talked awhile and he asked if i was a fisherman and I told him I had just won a tourny today and club points championship for the year...he congratulated me on the win and wanted to know all about where and how I'd caught the fish and how I fished the oxbow lakes along the river and we talked fishing for probably an hour...keep in mind Roland had just won several angler of the year titles in a row yet his congratulations and interest in my fishing seemed genuine....and when I left that restaurant that night,my "empty feeling" had got a lot better...

That is an awesome experience! cheers

Roland has always been one of my favorites from the old days when bass tournament fishing was still in it's infancy. fish

I believe I will get my Helicopter Lures out next time I head to the lake and catch a few for old times sake. bannana2
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/25/19 12:26 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/25/19 12:33 AM

That's a great story about Roland congratulating you and asking all about how you caught your fish. I can believe it because I can see how much he loves fishing. Even at his age he is eaten up with it. He just did a video where he was fishing for bluegill on Okeechobee.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/25/19 01:31 AM

I remember going to Walmart as a kid to buy the flying lure.
Charlie Pack was there.
I was a little star struck.
We talked for a few minutes. He gave me some pointers......

Then hit on my grandma.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/25/19 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by wh2004
[Linked Image]

SON! That’s an old picture.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/25/19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay
I remember going to Walmart as a kid to buy the flying lure.
Charlie Pack was there.
I was a little star struck.
We talked for a few minutes. He gave me some pointers......

Then hit on my grandma.

Haha haha! Omg thats funny
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. - 08/25/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
[Linked Image]

SON! That’s an old picture.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum