Texas Fishing Forum

Need help please

Posted By: SlowDown

Need help please - 08/16/19 08:37 PM

My buddy and I are going fishing in his boat next week. Will be first time in about six months. Lake does not have any kind of vegetation in it. Dang grass carp!

This time of year, my guess is that most bass go out and suspend over deepest water, but I’m not sure. Anyway, what kind of rig/bait would you use in this situation. I normally just drag a power worm around on a Texas rig or Carolina rig, but thought I’d ask. Was wondering if a swimbait would be any good. All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 08:42 PM

any trees?
underwater structure??

what lake?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 08:52 PM

Best shade/cover you can find:
If there’s no vegetation find other things that create shade—docks, bridges, big rocks, bluff walls, trees, etc

Catching suspended fish can be a real beating
If you are good at watching a graph, you can let a drop shot fall until it reaches the depth of the fish and stop it there

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 08:53 PM

Lake Austin. No trees. Rocky banks in some places. Boat houses, but most of them along
shallow banks. There is always a little submerged junk along a bank. Few brush piles here and there, not many.

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 09:00 PM

Colin County, not good electronics on his boat. I think about 16’ is the deepest water. Might try working a drop shot along the bank in the deepest water. Thanks.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 09:14 PM

Lake Austin has a whole lot deeper water than 16 feet! Depending on when you're going the wave/wake boats and jet fleas will be a beat down. Decker is just 20 minutes from downtown Austin and has TONS of grass in it. Bastrop is about an hour from downtown and it has lots of grass too. Unless you just HAVE to go to Lake Austin...I wouldn't. Fishing hasn't been that great on it the last few years.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 09:16 PM

Lake Austin

I’d fish your strengths around the good shade you’ll find in the marinas, boat docks, and bridges

Take a look at a map of the lake to find the deepest docks that will have shade in the morning (east bank docks), mid day (north facing docks) and then in the afternoon (west bank docks)m
I’d have confidence in a shaky head and/or Neko rig in these areas

Re: Need help please - 08/16/19 10:07 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum