Texas Fishing Forum

01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax

Posted By: Capshaw42

01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/12/19 10:27 PM

Hey guys,
I wanted yall’s opinion on this boat? I am taking it for a test drive and possibly purchasing it tomorrow. I am looking for a bigger bass boat, currently in a 97 ranger r82, and found this boat at a decent price. I fish a working mans tournament most Wednesday’s and some on the weekend so I’m not looking at fishing too competitively at this time. I just need bigger with more hp! It has 2 HDs 7s and all lighted compartments as well. My budget is around 10k and this is a little under TIA
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/12/19 10:47 PM

If it has a solid motor in it, go for it. The boat is a boat. The motor is the expensive/frustrating part of the equation. If the motor shows any sign of poor upkeep, excessive repairs, misuse, or abuse....RUN! A minor motor repair is normal to expect, but a major repair gets into the thousands in a real hurry. The other stuff like cosmetics, electrical, trailer, etc are not as bad of a deal breaker.

The price sounds fair. A Procraft can get you fishing just as good as any other 20ft boat. It will handle rough water as well as most too.

Things to keep in mind...

Batteries....are they REALLY useable? 3 or 4 new ones can be a grand or so.
Battery charger? Does it work? Correctly?
Pumps and live well recirculating pumps. Gotta have em for the Wednesday nighter.
Lights, while cheap enough, should be working correctly for that price.
Trailer tires!!!?? Plan on buying new ones. It isn’t if the cheap ones will blow up, its WHEN! Plan on getting some Goodyear Endurance tires at $100+\- each for piece of mind.
Wheel bearings? Are they properly serviced regularly?

There is a lot to expect to be right at that price, and even more to expect to have to be replaced soon or immediately to make it a reliable tourney boat.

Not trying to be a downer....but, if you see anything that is questionable (besides the motor), don’t be afraid to start negotiating with respect to those issues needing attention. Again, if the motor looks hammered, just turn around, run, and don’t look back.

Re: 01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/12/19 11:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I just did a quick look over today. It had new tires, new three bank charger. The motor looks In Good shape with service records so I’ll see how it idles, gets on plane, and tops out tomorrow.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: 01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/12/19 11:09 PM

I had a Procraft for 12 years and had no complaints. Well made and very fishable. I also had a 225 optimax on my next boat which I believe was also a 2000. Great motor and good gas mileage.

Good luck.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: 01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/12/19 11:15 PM

Having fished out of both a decent amount I’d keep the R82. Those were really good hulls

Re: 01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/13/19 01:53 AM

Thanks for the input Aggie. I just need something bigger and more dependable.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: 01 205 pro craft w/ 225 optimax - 08/13/19 04:04 AM

Check the transom for soft spots. Buddy had a different model ProCraft, and the transom got soft spots in it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum