Texas Fishing Forum

Retie

Posted By: whitecapping

Retie - 08/09/19 08:55 PM

Normal fun day fishing.
How many bass under 3 lbs do you catch before you to decide to retie?
or
Do you just keep thinking you should and have a break off.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Retie - 08/09/19 09:15 PM

Fun fishing I retie when it breaks usually.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Retie - 08/09/19 09:24 PM

I check my line fairly often and retie when frayed. It doesnt matter 1 fish 100 fish or 0 fish. If frayed I retie. The next fish could be the fish of a lifetime. No need in losing it over 30 seconds and a foot of line.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Retie - 08/09/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
I check my line fairly often and retie when frayed. It doesnt matter 1 fish 100 fish or 0 fish. If frayed I retie. The next fish could be the fish of a lifetime. No need in losing it over 30 seconds and a foot of line.

Pretty much all you need to know right here.....
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Retie - 08/09/19 11:48 PM

at the beginning of the next tournament unless broke off, caught a big fish or fishing in heavy timber
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Retie - 08/09/19 11:57 PM

I check my line after every fish catch. I broke off a really big fish earlier this year and knew it was going to break as soon as the fish bit because I knew the condition of the line. With that I recommend you retire anytime you feel anytime weird while checking your line.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Retie - 08/10/19 12:08 AM

This
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Retie - 08/10/19 11:33 AM

.… I retie "often" ….
I don't care about losing the fish ….. I don't want to lose a $1.50 cent tungsten weight
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Retie - 08/10/19 12:27 PM

For me, it is not about how many fish but if I have gotten snagged or pulled the line across some timber or other obstruction. I will check the line and if I feel any rough spots I will retie--usually. I did opt to make one more cast once and had it break off with a big fish. The fish jumped and I saw it, it was at least 17 - 25 lbs-----HUGE!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Retie - 08/10/19 01:15 PM

I got complacent with 17lb PLine CXX leaders—never broke off with that—just changed the leader after every fishing trip

I’ve had 20lb Maxima Ultragreen leaders on for two months (again, just changing after the trip) and had my first break off on a good fish in a long time. I knew the line had some abrasion just above the hook and that’s where it failed (my fault)
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Retie - 08/12/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by flukeman83
.… I retie "often" ….
I don't care about losing the fish ….. I don't want to lose a $1.50 cent tungsten weight

Truth!
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Retie - 08/12/19 05:10 PM

Being lazy cost me a legit 12-13lb fish this spring. with mono and floro I retie often now.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Retie - 08/12/19 05:12 PM

I retie enough that I typically have to respool at the end of the day.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Retie - 08/12/19 05:24 PM

I only retie when my line feels a little chewed up. I normally don;t retie after I catch a fish unless the line doesn't feel right
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Retie - 08/12/19 07:39 PM

Always check line and knots .
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Retie - 08/14/19 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Pretty much all you need to know right here.....

thumb
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Retie - 08/14/19 11:54 AM

Amen brother!! Especially during a tourney! Cus I just "know" it would break on a good fish then...
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Retie - 08/14/19 01:53 PM

Yep. I only retie when damage is observed. Everything gets retied before tournaments just for a fresh start.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum