Texas Fishing Forum

Cranking Reel

Posted By: MarcM64

Cranking Reel - 08/05/19 10:01 PM

Been using the old greenie Shimanos for several years and they have served there purpose for deep cranking! Time to replace them with something newer. I'm out of the loop on new cranking reels! What do you use and recommend?
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/05/19 10:12 PM

Revo Winch works for me.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/05/19 10:32 PM

Revo winch also (have two of those)
If on a budget, I hear the Black Max winch is great for the $
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/05/19 11:15 PM

I have babied mine along since 1999, when I bought 14 of them. Still have one new in box, but not selling it. I have purchases an Orro Winch and like it quite a bit too. Some of the E series reels have good backing, too, in the 5.1 to 5.4 gear ratio. What ratio are you looking for? Or just lower speed? Let us know. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 02:36 AM

Lews BB1 Pro
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 12:36 PM

I have one 5.1 gear reel for 10 XD's (Curado E5) but like at least a 6.3 and preferably a 7.1 gear when cranking, from wake baits all the way up to 8XD's. Curado E series (if you can find them) are good but the new Curado K is even better than the E series because you can really adjust the brakes for the crank/wind a lot easier.
Posted By: cajuncountryman

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 01:16 PM

Cranking = David Fritt's = Lew's BB1 Reel

Thanks.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by aggieangler03
Lews BB1 Pro

thumb
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 01:44 PM

For deep crank baits I like the Lews Super Duty wide spool. It comes in several gear ratio's depending on what you like. I have it in a 5-1 gear ratio. I also use this same reel in a 7-1 gear ratio for my Carolina rig. They hold a ton of line and you can make very long casts with them.

For square bills to medium depth crank baits I like a Tatula CT. It is a fantastic reel for the price. Check them out on ebay, Actually I get the Tatula and the Lews from ebay.

If you make it out to Fork one weekend, you can try out both reels and see which you like. I also have a Curado E in a 5-1 and a 7-1, and a couple of the Shimano K series reels in various gear ratios and a couple of BB1-s and BB1 pros. You can see all of them. LOL,I just about have all of the reels mentioned above except for the Revos. I am not a fan of them just because they just don't fit my hand as well as the other reels, but that's just me. I know the winch is also a very good reel for cranking. A buddy of mine loves them for cranking.

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
I have one 5.1 gear reel for 10 XD's (Curado E5) but like at least a 6.3 and preferably a 7.1 gear when cranking, from wake baits all the way up to 8XD's. Curado E series (if you can find them) are good but the new Curado K is even better than the E series because you can really adjust the brakes for the crank/wind a lot easier.

I don't know how you guys crank a 10XD with a 7-1 gear ratio reel. That would wear me out quickly. Do you think with a Curado K throwing a 10XD you would cast all the line out down to the spool? I throw the 10 XD on a Lews wide spool and a Dobyns 805 crank bait rod and it goes a LONG WAY out there.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 02:13 PM

I've been using a 13Fishing Concept A in 5.3:1 for the past few years. No complaints.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 02:43 PM

Something in a wide spool 5:1 to 6.3:1 ratios. Couple good options out there just depends on what you wanna spend.
Posted By: RonL

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 02:56 PM

Lots of good recommendations . I have BB1 Pro and Abu Garcia and i use the AB mostly . I’ve had Quantum and Shimano's too , works just fine . Like mentioned depends gear ratio and hand fitting . What pole length you using ?
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 03:01 PM

The K will never be better than the E series reels man.... E5 or E6 will work just fine for cranking or on a budget get the blackmax winch they are cheap on ebay
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 03:19 PM

I went for a AG Revo Winch (5.4:1) for tossing 6XD's and larger, for $150 (I had an Academy gift card). Hoss of a reel for under $200. That said, the Black Max Winch for $60 seems like a killer deal, and has been recommended by several hammers whose opinions I respect. Probably more plastic than the Revo and different gearing, but if you don't throw deep cranks a lot, it could be a good option.

I wish I still had all the Lew's BB1's I owned back in the day. I still have a half dozen green Curados and Super Frees, just had them all refurbed since parts are getting harder to find according to my reel doctor. But they seem kinda heavy nowadays, I'm so used to the lighter reels of today.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/06/19 07:18 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/07/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

I don't know how you guys crank a 10XD with a 7-1 gear ratio reel. That would wear me out quickly. Do you think with a Curado K throwing a 10XD you would cast all the line out down to the spool? I throw the 10 XD on a Lews wide spool and a Dobyns 805 crank bait rod and it goes a LONG WAY out there.

The advantage of the 7:1 is it gets the bait deep quicker. You just have to be more disciplined with the retrieve speed. I like a 6:1 but that's just me.
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/07/19 10:07 PM

Yeah, I have trouble cranking a 20 - 25 ft deep diving crankbait with a 6.3:1 gear ratio reel Wears me out quickly. I use the Lew's Speed Spool BB1 Baitcast Reel 5.1:1 gear ratio. Great reel and a lot easier to crank
$159 at Academy...

Regards, Bart
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/07/19 10:11 PM

I'll cheat. Cast the crank bait as far as I can and then use the trolling motor to get it to depth instead of wearing out my arm.

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/07/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king

The K will never be better than the E series reels man.... E5 or E6 will work just fine for cranking or on a budget get the blackmax winch they are cheap on ebay

The Curado was an E5 or E7. The Citica was the E6
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/07/19 11:48 PM

Revo Winch for me. I can cast it a mile or so and holding up well through heavy use.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/08/19 03:10 PM

I use the 3:8.1 Greenie and doesn't wear you out. fish
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/08/19 03:14 PM

Chronarch had the E6, white one

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/09/19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

Chronarch had the E6, white one

You are correct. I don't know why they did not make a Curado E in a 6-1 gear ratio. Your choice was either the Citica or the Chronarch.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/10/19 04:23 AM

I use a BB1 Pro and this one. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-johnny-morris-signature-series-baitcast-reel Not a big Bass Pro fan, but I really like this reel deep cranking. I got the 30 size for that and it works well.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/10/19 07:50 AM

For the money the Curado K is hard to beat. I recently bought the Curado DC because it was too good of a deal to pass up and that thing casts a MILE when set up correctly. I have a handful of Lew's reels, a green curado, citica e's, a chronarch e and I honestly believe the Curado K's and DC I have are the best reels I own. I throw everything from wakebaits to 10XD's and Spro LJ DD70's on the curado K with ease.

For a more budget friendly reel I would probably look towards the SLX. That reel has amazed me for $90.

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/10/19 02:30 PM

For the money, I think a Daiwa Tatula CT is a better deal than the Curado K. I am not knocking the Curado K in any way. I have several of them as well as the Tatula CT and both are smooth long distance casting reels but the Tatula CT's I got from ebay were less than $100,
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Cranking Reel - 08/10/19 03:28 PM

As stated earlier, I use Revo winches at times
Full disclosure, for big, heavy, deep cranks I prefer using a size 4000 spinning reel (like a 5.7 gear ratio Daiwa BG 18lbs of drag) paired with a parabolic, stout 7’ spinning rod.

The smooth drag systems on spinning reels are great for crankbaits and there are advantages of having the guides on the under side of the rod on more parabolic rods. Spinning rods also cast cranks a mile without worrying about backlashes casting into the wind. Also don’t have to worry about main line to leader knots passing through the guides at high velocity.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum