Texas Fishing Forum

Choke Canyon

Posted By: Will.i.am

Choke Canyon - 08/02/19 05:41 PM

Choke is full of bait and grass, if it can hold water for a while we should have some good fishing headed our way! I put this video together while out fishing a club tournament, hope you guys enjoy it cheers

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 12:11 AM

What date was this tournament, what were the winning weights and how were they caught, deep or shallow? Did most struggle ? Just curious if making a trip down there is any more worth it than a few months ago because fishing was miserable.
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
What date was this tournament, what were the winning weights and how were they caught, deep or shallow? Did most struggle ? Just curious if making a trip down there is any more worth it than a few months ago because fishing was miserable.

It was last Saturday on 7/27 100 degrees and 5mph winds. You can catch them pretty anyway you want but grass seem to be key!! I focused more on gravel rock underwater points and shallow humps and caught on every stop doing that. I and others also went out deep 20-30ft range on and caught fish. Grass is growing out till about 15ft so if I were going again I would focus on the grass edges/lines the better quality fish came from there. Winning weight was around 14-15 lbs big was 6.5lbs couple people blanked with keepers but catching fish wasnt a problem for most. The lake is fulllllll of bait and all the fish weighed in were stuffed so with all the life if the lake I'm sure the bite can be hit or miss.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 01:54 AM

Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 10:19 AM

Tough day of fishing! Makes the better days feel a whole lot better! Enjoyed the video! thumb
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 11:39 AM

Nice job Will! Love the Jeopardy theme song! That cracked me up! Awesome!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Will.i.am
Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

It was last Saturday on 7/27 100 degrees and 5mph winds. You can catch them pretty anyway you want but grass seem to be key!! I focused more on gravel rock underwater points and shallow humps and caught on every stop doing that. I and others also went out deep 20-30ft range on and caught fish. Grass is growing out till about 15ft so if I were going again I would focus on the grass edges/lines the better quality fish came from there. Winning weight was around 14-15 lbs big was 6.5lbs couple people blanked with keepers but catching fish wasnt a problem for most. The lake is fulllllll of bait and all the fish weighed in were stuffed so with all the life if the lake I'm sure the bite can be hit or miss.

Thanks for the information!
Posted By: Triton417

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/03/19 05:01 PM

Thanks for the report! Excellent presentation!
Posted By: bigfishwilb

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/04/19 08:21 AM

What was water level. Couldn't get the video to,open up...
Posted By: 361V

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/04/19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bigfishwilb
What was water level. Couldn't get the video to,open up...
”Only” 15’ below full pool: [Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/04/19 12:55 PM

Wife and I went out yesterday evening for a couple of hours to look for gaspergoo, lakes fishing so good that there was only 1 other truck at the South Shore parking lot and they were catfishing. But while graphing, it’s truly amazing how much baitfish there is in the lake, hope the lake can manage it’s water level a little; but doubtful that it will.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/04/19 06:11 PM

It would be great if we could get a little tropical depression work it's way into the upper reaches of Frio, and dump some rain in the right spot.
Could have a full lake with just one storm.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/07/19 02:00 PM

Maybe we could get some twin sisters of tropical depressions and they would squat on Falcon and Choke!
Posted By: Martinial

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/20/19 01:49 AM

Is the South Shore ramp open?

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/20/19 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Martinial
Is the South Shore ramp open?

Yes and the fishing still sucks.
Posted By: Martinial

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/20/19 01:47 PM

thanks grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon - 08/20/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Martinial
thanks grout-scout

It should be good for another 3’-4’ drop.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum