Texas Fishing Forum

Longer charge time on trolling batteries

Posted By: Noojen

Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 04:42 PM

Iím running a 24V setup with 2 flooded cell deep cycle batteries connected to a two-bank 8 amp charger. It used to take about 4-5 hours after a lake session to fully charge the batteries...now itís taking upwards of 8-10 hours. I checked the acid levels this morning and both were full. Any ideas?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 04:43 PM

How old are the batteries?

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
How old are the batteries?

Coming up on 4 years old...I charge before and after every visit to the lake.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 04:55 PM

Probably near time to replace them. That or your charger is going bad.

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 05:24 PM

Is there a way to determine if itís one or the other?
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 05:32 PM

Do you notice when you're fishing that the batteries draw down quicker then before? Thats how I can tell that
I'm gonna need new batteries soon.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 05:33 PM

Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/02/19 05:50 PM

A lot of times when a battery goes bad it will kinda bow out on the sides. Every one Iíve had go bad has done that.
Posted By: Roundup

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 01:46 PM

I can tell you when I had Deep Cycle Batteries in my previous boat, I would usually only get about two years out of them. Maybe it was my boat and charging system. My new boat has AGM's and I got 6 years out of the last set. Just my opinion.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 01:48 PM

4 years is pretty damn good, time for a pair of new ones now.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 01:53 PM

4 years is pretty good for a normal lead battery. Probably time for a couple new ones. Sam's club has the Duracell 31 AGM for $159 I believe. Best bang for your buck on a trolling motor battery.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 02:06 PM

My first step would be to buy a battery tester (water tester) and test each cell to see if any are dead. If none are dead you can try and recover them with a 2.5 amp charger over a week long period or so. Otherwise do what everyone else says and replace them.
Posted By: irbf

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 02:38 PM

I wouldn't mix wet cell and AGM on 24 volt system. They don't charge the same.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by EastTexasBassin

This, 2-3 years is average for flooded, I usually got 4-5 before one went bad. If one goes bad the batteries it's connected to will often be right behind it. You can have them tested after charging to see which one is bad, but I found if I didn't replace all I was just doing the same work several times vs one and done.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 05:51 PM

If your battery charger has a recondition mode on it use it first and see if that helps. It does a desulfation of the crystals in the battery and can/will make the battery take a better charge and last longer. I do this about every 30 recharges or at least once a year if I don't go fishing as much as I want to .
Posted By: 361V

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 07:04 PM

Hereís your solution: https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...33583/battery-sale-at-sam-s#Post13233583
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 09:36 PM

Taking a longer time to recharge batteries does not necessarily equate to a bad battery......actually the longer a heavily discharged battery takes to charge suggests its is healthy and has good remaining life as its capacity takes a long time to refill from only an 8 amp charger.

You may only be simply drawing the batteries down further possibly because of fishing line around the motor shaft as one example.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Longer charge time on trolling batteries - 08/03/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by EastTexasBassin

+1
© 2020 Texas Fishing Forum