Texas Fishing Forum

MLF Championship Observations

Posted By: basscatmo

MLF Championship Observations - 07/27/19 06:57 PM

Watched the Championship on CBS today. Very nice production. My thoughts: Jacob Wheeler is a heck of a fisherman and got on the fish quick. Aaron Martens is a sore looser and acted like a pr**k. Ike behaved himself and was very thoughtful. Tak Omori was a nice guy but sure wanted to fish Wheeler's water. Positives: good production, caught some good fish. Shelly is hot. Negatives: Commercial interrupted by commercials and Martens says Wheeler was "cocky"........
Posted By: SC-001

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/27/19 08:12 PM

A mart definitely had the black hat role.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/27/19 08:13 PM

If you can, watch the show on Outdoor channel or Discovery.. its 2hr vs the 1hr on CBS. It makes a little more sense in that length of time. I agree totally, Wheeler catches fish.. period. His ability to find schools of fish is as good as it gets.. and that is what wins PBT or MLF. His Youtube channel is fun to watch, goes into a little more detail on his practice and fishing techniques.

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/27/19 08:17 PM

How many MLF events has he won so far?, they said 3 on CBS today but I know they weren't counting his win at Table Rock this year, and who knows if he's won some of the cups this year.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/27/19 08:57 PM

By my count, Wheeler has won $446,100 this calendar year.

BPT: $193,600
Classic: $52,500
Cup World Championship: $200,000

Entry fees: $0

Quite impressive
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/27/19 09:28 PM

Wheeler is probably in the Top 3 best anglers taking all 3 trails into consideration l. He has won in all 3 leagues.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 12:08 AM

J-Wheel clockin nem dolla dolla bills ya'll
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

John, when you are the typical white middle class white male, please refrain from trying to use ebonics
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

John, when you are the typical white middle class white male, please refrain from trying to use ebonics

roflmao
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 12:44 AM

I couldn't record the last 2 weeks episides due to AT@T/DirectTV fueding with CBS...it''s blacked out...
Posted By: Dubee

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright

Quite impressive

What cup world championship?

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee

Quite impressive

The championship round aired today on CBS. It was "filmed in the dark" earlier this spring in the Vidalia, Louisiana area. They have been airing them the last 6 weeks or so on CBS

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 01:41 AM

Quite impressive

The championship round aired today on CBS. It was "filmed in the dark" earlier this spring in the Vidalia, Louisiana area. They have been airing them the last 6 weeks or so on CBS

Today wasn't the final. The top 4 today advance to the final round

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 01:42 AM

Quite impressive

Today wasn't the final. The top 4 today advance to the final round

*** Spoiler Alert***

The top 4 were today. Wheeler, Omori, Iaconelli & Martens, finished in that order

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Wheeler is probably in the Top 3 best anglers taking all 3 trails into consideration l. He has won in all 3 leagues.

He is a fish catching machine

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 01:49 AM

Well dang. My mistake, i guess my dvr didn't record the final round

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 03:03 AM

Well dang. My mistake, i guess my dvr didn't record the final round

All you missed was a Wheeler beatdown
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 03:14 AM

It's J-Rizzle now grin
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by basscatmo
Aaron Martens is a sore looser and acted like a pr**k.

This is nothing new. Done this plenty of times before. Leopards and spots.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Verkeith
I couldn't record the last 2 weeks episides due to AT@T/DirectTV fueding with CBS...it''s blacked out...

I haven't seen any feud with CBS on mine.

Our local NBC channel has been off for close to a month now but we still have NBC Sports and their other channels. hmmm
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

Our local NBC channel has been off for close to a month now but we still have NBC Sports and their other channels. hmmm

CBS/AT&T feud is affecting DirecTV and Uverse customers which I am one. It sucks and it's ALL CBS programming
Posted By: fouzman

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/28/19 03:37 PM

+1,000

Wheeler, Thrift and...? No. 3 is a toss-up between a bunch of guys, imo.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman

+1,000

Andy Morgan

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 03:01 AM

+1,000

Andy Morgan

Evers has to be ahead of Morgan. Over the last 4 season, Evers is ahead by about $300k. For their careers, Evers' is closer to a million over Morgan. Andy's great but I'm convinced that if it wasn't for KVD, Edwin would be talked about as one of the greatest to play the game in the past 25 years.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 05:39 AM

Thrift gets my vote. That guy is an automatic top 10 or 5 every event seems like. Just won the Costa on Champlain too

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom

CBS/AT&T feud is affecting DirecTV and Uverse customers which I am one. It sucks and it's ALL CBS programming

I have AT&T/DirecTv which is why I commented on it.

All our CBS stuff is working fine but the NBC (local station) is not.

Is it different in each market as the feud is with the local carriers and not with the Corporate companies?

I have seen people complaining about FSSW and the Dallas area teams (Rangers, Stars, & Mavs) but I still have FSSW on mine and watch the Astros and the Southwest Fishing Report.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 02:00 PM

+1,000

Andy Morgan

Evers has to be ahead of Morgan. Over the last 4 season, Evers is ahead by about $300k. For their careers, Evers' is closer to a million over Morgan. Andy's great but I'm convinced that if it wasn't for KVD, Edwin would be talked about as one of the greatest to play the game in the past 25 years.

I’d have to agree.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 02:11 PM

I didn't used to like Wheeler. I used to think he was really cocky but I've completely changed my opinion of him. He's enjoyable to watch and I don't view him as arrogant anymore because he's proven that he's a big player in pretty much any tournament.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 04:07 PM

I would have loved to observe it but because of the tiff with CBS and AT&T Uverse, I have recorded nothing but a blue screen the last 2 weeks.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 04:19 PM

[quote=Verkeith]I couldn't record the last 2 weeks episides due to AT@T/DirectTV fueding with CBS...it''s blacked out...

It depends on who owns your local stations. The feud isn’t with NBC, but the company who owns the local station. My NBC has been out for weeks now as well.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 07:22 PM

Loved it when Ike stated during the beat down that he knew that the tournament was going to be won where Wheeler was fishing. I guess my question is why didn't you start there. Smart A*@#

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Thrift gets my vote. That guy is an automatic top 10 or 5 every event seems like. Just won the Costa on Champlain too

Do you think he would elevate his game even higher if he were using SpotLock? I heard him say the other day that his new boat for 2020 will have another Fortrex on it.

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 09:40 PM

Do you think he would elevate his game even higher if he were using SpotLock? I heard him say the other day that his new boat for 2020 will have another Fortrex on it.

No
Posted By: John175☮

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/29/19 11:34 PM

Hey Mark! Can you get this worked out?

I have no idea why they aren't free on YouTube.

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/30/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fishingking
Loved it when Ike stated during the beat down that he knew that the tournament was going to be won where Wheeler was fishing. I guess my question is why didn't you start there. Smart A*@#

Most of the time those guys know about the same water it's just who gets there first. Some are willing to move in on others when they aren't on other fish or just don't care

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 07/30/19 02:02 AM

I think it would especially offshore but I think the lakes they go to suit his style without it. Run and gun fishing. Also, I believe John Cox doesn't have one either and I'd consider those 2 probably the best in flw right now
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/05/19 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by basscatmo
Aaron Martens is a sore looser and acted like a pr**k. Martens says Wheeler was "cocky"........

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has started to notice this trend with Aaron Martens, even in the MLF Summit Cup Rounds he was being a sore loser, getting pissed when he gets scoretracker updates, a bunch of "he got really lucky today, oh yeah, good for him.... good for him" and other comments like that which only makes him look like a giant crybaby.
Posted By: DJB

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/05/19 12:00 PM

Mumble, mumble,mumble ,drop shot ,mumble ,my spot ,mumble mumble.
Posted By: Squeakers

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/05/19 05:19 PM

Jacob Wheeler is a freaking hammer. He can catch numbers and size. I have not seen him stumble in any fishing format. He is typically in the hunt for $$$ on final day.

Ummmmm.........DING!!!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/05/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Squeakers
Jacob Wheeler is a freaking hammer. He can catch numbers and size. I have not seen him stumble in any fishing format. He is typically in the hunt for $$$ on final day.

Ummmmm.........DING!!!

Yep, gonna be interesting to see if Academy can keep him sponsored with BPS in the mix now.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/05/19 09:31 PM

I have AT&T/DirecTv which is why I commented on it.

All our CBS stuff is working fine but the NBC (local station) is not.

Is it different in each market as the feud is with the local carriers and not with the Corporate companies?

I have seen people complaining about FSSW and the Dallas area teams (Rangers, Stars, & Mavs) but I still have FSSW on mine and watch the Astros and the Southwest Fishing Report.

CBS doesn't own every CBS station, they only own a few. Almost every CBS station in Texas, is owned by a different company. CBS is just the affiliate of those stations.Those companies all have their own retrans agreement to let AT&T or DirecTV to air their channel. You can still watch CBS free over the air, but the companies want to be paid just like all of the other channels like Discovery or Outdoor Channel that gets paid per subscriber. Usually the fued is over something like a 25 cents per sub or less. So anyways it's different per market. It also could be that the CBS and NBC that both of you are talking about are owned by the same company, such as Nexstar or Sinclair.

on the topic of the thread, J Wheels is killing it this year. I just wish they would turn around the TV production much quicker so the baits and conditions would be relevant to the time we are watching and then you would know what angler is on a big hot streak like J Wheel was this spring, but we didn't know that until now.
Posted By: TX Champ

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/05/19 10:51 PM

My local CBS station is owned by Nexstar which is also in a contract dispute with AT&T/DirecTV since July 3. Nexstar is wanting 100% increase in rebroadcast fees for something they put out over the air for free ... soap
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/06/19 12:58 AM

A dude from up north kicking [censored]... Who'd a thunk it???... Dan

Re: MLF Championship Observations - 08/06/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by TX Champ

My local CBS station is owned by Nexstar which is also in a contract dispute with AT&T/DirecTV since July 3. Nexstar is wanting 100% increase in rebroadcast fees for something they put out over the air for free ... soap

Nexstar is the one who owns our local NBC station.

I agree that they are wanting outrageous money for the OTA channels are we can watch for free. freak
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum