Texas Fishing Forum

Curado DC question

Posted By: Bass Buster1

Curado DC question - 07/23/19 03:17 PM

Taking my Pop fishing in Mexico next spring, he is from the Northwest and only a spinning reel guy. Spinning reels will be fine and I will take a couple of nice ones for him but I am also looking for a baitcaster he might be able to use with minimal trouble. Is this Curado the one that supposedly doesn't backlash? Anyone use one yet?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Curado DC question - 07/23/19 03:19 PM

Nothing is 100% fool proof but the Curado DC is certainly an easy baitcaster to use. They offer a more budget friendly SLX DC model as well now for $189.99
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Curado DC question - 07/23/19 03:24 PM

My wife fishes with me all the time. Shes only knew how to throw spinning reels til the DC came out. You can set the thing and it will not back lash. Took her about an hour to get used to it. Now shes up to about 4 set ups.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Curado DC question - 07/23/19 04:01 PM

Thanks, probably going to give one a shot. I will let my wife try it out, if she can cast it without backlashing, that will really be something!
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Curado DC question - 07/23/19 09:19 PM

Everything is a compromise, this reel no exception.

Be sure to read and follow the spool tension adjustment instructions that come with the DC. NOT typical that we're used to. Says to adjust until the spool just stops rattling. What that actually means? I think it means any side to side play will cause a little audible rattle. If you are old and 1/2 deaf, you have to feel for it. Not real easy to get right. When adjusted that way any bait on your line will drop like a rock. Also if you are pulling, feeding line with spool free, pay attention, it will backlash on you while doing that. The spool spins very free when you get it adjusted with the rattle or side play just stopped.

I found it to be a smooth casting reel. I have had a few backlashes from predictable situations... wind, light bait etc. If set so it will absolutely not backlash it is not going to produce much distance.

If I had it to do over I would buy a better reel for 150 and save 100. NOT a cure all In my opinion. But in helps to some extent.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Curado DC question - 07/23/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
My wife fishes with me all the time. Shes only knew how to throw spinning reels til the DC came out. You can set the thing and it will not back lash. Took her about an hour to get used to it. Now shes up to about 4 set ups.

Man if my girlfriend sees this I will be out of a lot of money. She’s always asking why can’t she use the bait casters. .
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Curado DC question - 07/24/19 12:18 AM

I have the Shimano DC and a Daiwa Tatula SV TW. Both reels you can set up to make a long cast and never thumb the spool and not get a back lash. I like them both but the Tatula is quite a bit cheaper, although it does have a slightly larger profile than the Shimano DC.

For me it is a little easier to set up the Tatula than the Shimano because it has more settings on the left side of the reel. The Shimano goes from zero to four. I think the Tatula goes from zero to twenty.

Tie on the bait you plan to fish with and set the knob on the right side so it falls slowly to the ground, then adjust the left side to as high as it will go. Then as you get used to casting you can back off a little and make longer casts.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Curado DC question - 07/24/19 12:27 AM

I’m up to nine Curado DCs now. You can often find used ones on BBC for around $200. I lucked into one for $180. The SLX DC just came out and is even less expensive than the Curado. They will backlash but once you get them dialed in they are a joy to fish with.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Curado DC question - 07/24/19 12:32 AM

I have two DC's and love them. Pretty much backlash free....they're not cheap, though. $249/ea but well worth every penny IMO.

Re: Curado DC question - 07/24/19 12:41 AM

Neither the DC or the Tatula SV TW are backlash free unless you set them up correctly.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Curado DC question - 07/24/19 05:54 PM

Adj the knob until there is no side to side movment. Then adj the dial on the opposite side to one of 4 settings, 1 = freest and 4 the tightest. You can then make minor changes to the tension knob and cast your brains out. I have had one set up for rattle baits and can throw it a mile without touching the spool until it just hits the water. Fun new tool.

The first step to me means loosing the knob until you can move the spool side to side. Then tighten till it stops.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Curado DC question - 07/27/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chet
Adj the knob until there is no side to side movment. Then adj the dial on the opposite side to one of 4 settings, 1 = freest and 4 the tightest. You can then make minor changes to the tension knob and cast your brains out. I have had one set up for rattle baits and can throw it a mile without touching the spool until it just hits the water. Fun new tool.

The first step to me means loosing the knob until you can move the spool side to side. Then tighten till it stops.

Curado DC settings are:
1 - long distance
2 - mono/braid
3 - fluoro
4 - pitching
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Curado DC question - 07/27/19 03:45 AM

Its a very nice reel but I can throw the K farther when both are loaded with 20# flo. Primarily cuz the K holds about 30 yards more 20# line than the DC. If you like skipping docks or pitching close quarters I could def see the DC having an advantage but for open water long casting I like the K better. Personal preference.

Re: Curado DC question - 07/27/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Its a very nice reel but I can throw the K farther when both are loaded with 20# flo. Primarily cuz the K holds about 30 yards more 20# line than the DC. If you like skipping docks or pitching close quarters I could def see the DC having an advantage but for open water long casting I like the K better. Personal preference.

The K is a very smooth long casting reel. I really like it for finesse baits and Tx. rigging. I currently use the DC for skipping docks with a 5/16 jig and I use a Daiwa Tatula SV TW for skipping docks with a 3/8-1/2 oz jig.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Curado DC question - 07/27/19 09:08 PM

Curado DC isn't a bad reel, but not my favorite, and certainly not backlash free. Probably not what I would use to teach a beginner.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum