Texas Fishing Forum

FLW and MLF rumor...

Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/21/19 10:28 PM

This is a RUMOR I read on Facebook, no one take this as fact.

Can anyone confirm or deny that FLW and MLF will be raising the horsepower limit to 300?
Posted By: 206champion

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/21/19 11:24 PM

Have not heard anything about it.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:16 AM

It wouldn’t even make sense.
Posted By: 361V

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:25 AM

Not being a smart @z or anything but I could honestly not care less. Never understood not allowing whatever motor size is allowed by the boat manufacturer based on the coast guard formulas. As long as the boat is not over the allowed hp who cares? Tournament winners are not going to be determined by 250 hp vs 300hp.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
It wouldn’t even make sense.

Why?
Posted By: mudd

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:33 AM

Figure out of all the Bullet forum members they would know something to help you out.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 03:14 AM

Link? I could see it making sense, just more product to push.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 03:41 AM

why stop at 300HP , open it up , make a boat and put two , 250 Pro XS's on the back of one boat and give them an extra 1LB at weigh in for fastest boat . If the boat can reach 100MPH , give them an extra 1.5Lb's at weigh in . If it comes down to a tie at weigh-in , --- have them drag race over a 1/4 mile . I am positive you can get Budweiser as a new sponsor .

JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!
Posted By: toofy

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 04:18 AM

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 05:00 AM

Bring back the WCF rolleyes
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 05:14 AM

[quote=1 [Linked Image]
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
[quote=1 [Linked Image]

And still couldn't hit 100mph. Can only push a barge so fast.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 12:50 PM

the average tournament boat will run 70 mph if you need to go faster than that in a fishing boat you need to take up boat racing instead. doubt if the pro tours will do it because of liability there are more an more mishaps where folks get hurt at some point the cos will say i dont want to ride with some of these folks.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith
the average tournament boat will run 70 mph if you need to go faster than that in a fishing boat you need to take up boat racing instead. doubt if the pro tours will do it because of liability there are more an more mishaps where folks get hurt at some point the cos will say i dont want to ride with some of these folks.

There are plenty of tour pros and aspiring ones with 80+mph Basscats, I've drawn some, I'm sure these are the same guys if they could go 90 they would go for it.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:30 PM

Did not mean to start the why do you need to go that fast war. Just had seen in several places on Facebook some rumors circulating about a raise. I think some guys won’t do it for speed. But rather so they can run a 21 or even 22 foot boat and not be uber slow.
Also... I am banned from the real Bullet Boat Owners page so... no help there hehe
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Can anyone confirm or deny that FLW and MLF will be raising the horsepower limit to 300?

Don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but Ranger just upped the HP rating on 521 to 300.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
[quote=1 [Linked Image]

And still couldn't hit 100mph. Can only push a barge so fast.

Actually I'm pretty sure that boat got to 103 on lake x
Posted By: Bissett

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 03:37 PM

I saw the same thing and was a little curious myself (not that it makes a difference to me). I guess time will tell
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 04:20 PM

why wouldnt they. 2mph exta in a heavy ranger or skeeter wont amount to a difference in the leaderboards. if I remember correctly, 50HP equates to around 2-3mph in a heavy bass boat.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 04:22 PM

Don't really see where it would help the MLF/ BPsT guys. Most of the time aren't they restricted to certain areas of the lakes they fish???... Now BASS and FLW guys, yes, I could see them upping the HP restrictions... Dan
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 04:27 PM

I thought there was a rumor that MLF bought FLW?...also thought the rumor was MLF was only gonna allow WRMC brand boats?
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 04:51 PM

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Mercury is pushing their new monster engines right now. Big sponsors like Mercury get what they want. I've never been a speed guy so having a 300hp + engine hanging off the back of a 20ft bass boat makes zero sense to me, but 'm the type that thinks we have way to many rules and laws in this country....so whatever. Use whatever engine you want. With that said there are a whole bunch of idiots fishing bass tournaments that scare me to death being behind the wheel of any boat. Much less one that will go 100 mph+.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 05:03 PM

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=997459

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
With that said there are a whole bunch of idiots fishing bass tournaments that scare me to death being behind the wheel of any boat. Much less one that will go 100 mph+.
You are correct sir, I about needed lumbar surgery after riding with one of these idiots, its a risk you take in entering these I guess, all I got was a I'm sorry. I check his results from time to time, he hasn't too well since 2015 but seems to still be trying to make it to the tour, I knew I might be in trouble when he began discussing how many back surgeries he'd had.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
... With that said there are a whole bunch of idiots fishing bass tournaments that scare me to death being behind the wheel of any boat. Much less one that will go 100 mph+.

This ^^^

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I thought there was a rumor that MLF bought FLW?...also thought the rumor was MLF was only gonna allow WRMC brand boats?

David Dudley confirmed the buyout rumor and Ike was the one talking about only being able to use Whitewater boats. Ike also said that the “BPT guys not working the classic” idea was killed due to the negative publicity it received.

But back to the HP, if MLF started their guys in 150’s and then put the selects in 200’s, why would they now allow 300’s??? FLW cancels events anytime the wind blows, why would they now allow 300’s since the are so cautious.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 07:13 PM

David Dudley confirmed the buyout rumor and Ike was the one talking about only being able to use Whitewater boats. Ike also said that the “BPT guys not working the classic” idea was killed due to the negative publicity it received.

But back to the HP, if MLF started their guys in 150’s and then put the selects in 200’s, why would they now allow 300’s??? FLW cancels events anytime the wind blows, why would they now allow 300’s since the are so cautious.

Weird that BassFan or any other site has not put out a story on the buyout.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 07:24 PM

I would imagine that fanfare will be reserved for a MLF/FLW joint press release.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 07:54 PM

Its a stupid rule.

You cant run over a 250 but you can do head work etc which would COST more than buying a 300...

Posted By: Sinkey

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 07:57 PM

All this 300 hp talk is funny to me. And who really cares. I've never lost a tournament to a motor!

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman

I would imagine that fanfare will be reserved for a MLF/FLW joint press release.

I would imagine the CEO's suicide caused some holdup
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 08:42 PM

Love to see it on the 18' MLF boats banana
Posted By: balata9999

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 08:47 PM

I would like to see some of the Basscat guys run the Jaguar with that Mercury 450r they have been posting about. Looks like a sweet ride. Probably costs more than my house, but sweet.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 09:07 PM

It wasn’t an official statement or anything. He was just talking during one of his YouTube videos and said something like, “and with MLF buying out the FLW, I don’t know what my future holds here”. It was in a fairly new video too. Anyways, yeah not official; but it does sound like it is real.
cheers
Posted By: buda13

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Its a stupid rule.

You cant run over a 250 but you can do head work etc which would COST more than buying a 300...

Jeff, most tournaments have a rule like this... "Maximum horsepower for all outboards used in tournament competition may not exceed the horsepower limitations as set by the U. S. Coast Guard in such vessel. Falsifying information on entry forms or altering the horsepower numbers on the motor or rating plate to conceal such limitations will be cause for disqualification from the tournament." So I guess if the hull is rated for the additional HP its legal, but anything beyond that would be a DQ.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 09:31 PM

I personally think there should be speed limits during the events. I've never caught a bass going over 50mph so I think we should limit the pros to smaller motors.

Fewer upset locals....

Fewer back surgeries....

Boats would be cheaper....

Win, win, win, win, win and...... win.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Its a stupid rule.

Jeff, most tournaments have a rule like this... "Maximum horsepower for all outboards used in tournament competition may not exceed the horsepower limitations as set by the U. S. Coast Guard in such vessel. Falsifying information on entry forms or altering the horsepower numbers on the motor or rating plate to conceal such limitations will be cause for disqualification from the tournament." So I guess if the hull is rated for the additional HP its legal, but anything beyond that would be a DQ.

Well if thats the rule as written then a 300 is legal in whatever series that is... No big deal.
Posted By: buda13

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/22/19 09:52 PM

Heres the actual rule for BASS...

https://www.bassmaster.com/sites/default/files/2018_open_rules_final.pdf

"Maximum horsepower for all outboard motorboats used in official tournament practice
and in tournament competition will be 250 horsepower. Horsepower cannot exceed the
limitations set by the U.S. Coast Guard. When required, each boat must have a U.S.
Coast Guard horsepower-rating plate attached to the boat by the manufacturer. The
horsepower of the outboard engine must NOT exceed the rating specified on this plate
nor the horsepower maximum set by B.A.S.S. Each competitor agrees to submit, by
their signature on the official entry form, the boat and outboard motor used in the
tournament, to an inspection by factory-trained personnel, if there is reason to suspect
the horsepower is in excess of the rating. Normal maintenance of engines is allowed.
Changing or altering standard factory parts of a competitor’s engine to increase the
horsepower over the factory horsepower rating, is forbidden and will result in
disqualification. Falsifying information on entry forms, or altering the horsepower-rating
numbers on the engine, is also cause for immediate disqualification from B.A.S.S.
tournaments. Posted speed limits and those imposed by B.A.S.S. must be observed
and all boats must be operated in a safe manner. Violations of speed limits shall result
in loss of competition hours and not limited to disqualification."
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by balata9999
I would like to see some of the Basscat guys run the Jaguar with that Mercury 450r they have been posting about. Looks like a sweet ride. Probably costs more than my house, but sweet.

And faster then a twin engine Champion.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Zachary

Don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but Ranger just upped the HP rating on 521 to 300.

Because the new 521Ls are so darn slow
Posted By: Neal G

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 12:18 AM

Because BassFan does not report on rumors or anything unannounced by their sponsors and ownership group.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 01:34 AM

I think a lot of the big 21-22 foot bass boats need a 300, I think they should just go with what the boat is rated for.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
I think a lot of the big 21-22 foot bass boats need a 300, I think they should just go with what the boat is rated for.

If a 450 was allowed I would have a 450 a motor working at HALF power is going to last and break less than one your beating the snot out of.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 03:43 AM

My buddy has the v8 300 on a 210 champion and it literally cruises mid 60's compared to the v8 250 he started with. Probably a good 6-800 less rpm to get the same speed. Better hole shot and gas mileage

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 01:30 PM

My buddy has the v8 300 on a 210 champion and it literally cruises mid 60's compared to the v8 250 he started with. Probably a good 6-800 less rpm to get the same speed. Better hole shot and gas mileage

EXACTLY my point, nobody would put a 150 on a 20 footer and expect it to last as long as a 250 its the same thing with going above a 250hp.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 01:53 PM

I'm guessing the MLF guys need to get to the weigh-in faster? lol

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 02:09 PM

EXACTLY my point, nobody would put a 150 on a 20 footer and expect it to last as long as a 250 its the same thing with going above a 250hp.

But often not running them hard enough does more damage, due to carbon buildup.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 02:24 PM

That would be if you were merely IDLING around all the time or running at low rpm.

There is no carbon buildup happening at 4000-4500 rpm (half throttle), BUT there is a ton of strain on parts at 6000 rpm..
Posted By: Tubby

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 03:46 PM

Most of the newer boats are rated for 300. There is a reason for more speed most local tourney fisher man would not understand. For the guy who said he never caught a fish going seventy, that is a lame statement, I have never caught a fish doing thirty.These pros sometimes make runs as long as 50 miles or better depending on the lake. On Lake Erie they can run as far as 100 miles. So there.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/23/19 04:35 PM

it will become a safety issue at some point there are some folks just because they have enough money to buy a 22 ft boat are not able to drive it safe. there are more an more folks getting chunked out of boats an running them over land each year at some point the govt will tell everybody what is safe.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/24/19 03:13 PM

Who just got the FLW email that states.....

"For a head start on all the festivities, be sure to join us for FLW Pro Day at Bass Pro Shops (Little Rock, Memphis, Bossier City) and Greeson Polaris (Hot Springs) on Saturday, Aug. 3 from noon to 2 p.m. This is your chance to meet the FLW Cup pros as they prepare to compete on Lake Hamilton."

Oh, c'mon now. Has this ever happened before?

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/24/19 08:15 PM

That would be if you were merely IDLING around all the time or running at low rpm.

There is no carbon buildup happening at 4000-4500 rpm (half throttle), BUT there is a ton of strain on parts at 6000 rpm..

Most of the old optimax failures were at mid range RPM's, just because you think your being easy on your motor doesn't necessarily mean that you are. Not sure what RPM range is most dangerous for the new 4 strokes.

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/24/19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

"For a head start on all the festivities, be sure to join us for FLW Pro Day at Bass Pro Shops (Little Rock, Memphis, Bossier City) and Greeson Polaris (Hot Springs) on Saturday, Aug. 3 from noon to 2 p.m. This is your chance to meet the FLW Cup pros as they prepare to compete on Lake Hamilton."

noidea

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/24/19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

noidea

FLW Pro Day..... Come on down to Bass Pro Shops? Ummmmmm..... I'd say the deal is inked!
Posted By: John175☮

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/24/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Zachary

Sweet! Soon on the market! A 70mph Ranger!

Inconceivable!
Posted By: adam_p

Re: FLW and MLF rumor... - 07/25/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ssmith
it will become a safety issue at some point there are some folks just because they have enough money to buy a 22 ft boat are not able to drive it safe. there are more an more folks getting chunked out of boats an running them over land each year at some point the govt will tell everybody what is safe.

We're talking about taking a pros high 60mph boat and turning it into a mid to high 70s boat. They carry too much stuff to be speed demons. Buddy Gross says his Bullet only runs 73. My Bullet 21 XRS with a 300xs, heavy tournament loaded, 2 guys on board, runs 82mph. All these speed numbers you see people post are empty boats.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum