Texas Fishing Forum

automatic boat latches

Posted By: captain-kilroy

automatic boat latches - 07/10/19 01:35 AM

Has anyone used one. I have a standard pickup and my wife loads the boat. I never trust pulling up the ramp with out the front strap hooked and I sure don't trust any emergency brake. So I have to kill the truck and hook the front strap. Was wondering if anyone has used one of the automatic latches and Is it worth using. By the way my truck has a cabover camper on it so it is too heavy to trust the emergency brake on an incline. Thanks
Posted By: bronco71

Re: automatic boat latches - 07/10/19 02:14 AM

I used one for years on my last boat, thinking about putting on on my new to me boat. Never had a problem but after 10 years the bolt that shoots thru the eye was worn halfway thru. I always put the winch strap on after pulling up the ramp.
Posted By: captain-kilroy

Re: automatic boat latches - 07/10/19 02:31 AM

I wonder which one would work on a skeeter
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: automatic boat latches - 07/10/19 02:44 AM

I use this one, there are two sizes you choose based on your roller size..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drotto-Automatic-boat-latch-boat-auto-latch/201649623277

I was originally not using my strap but the roads are so bad in iowa it kept unlatching from the handle bouncing. I launched and sent my boat flying twice... it took 40 minutes for the wind to blow it back to me the second time. The first time I saw it taking off slammed the truck in park and ran to the end of the dock and jumped on my boat.

So if you get one use the strap still for down the road...
Posted By: bronco71

Re: automatic boat latches - 07/10/19 02:50 AM

Mine was a Boat Buddy latch. I haven't seen them for sale lately but I haven't really looked for them. It was on a 18.5' Nitro bass boat, same hull as the old Skeeter Starfire tournament bass boat.....
Posted By: zaspook

Re: automatic boat latches - 07/10/19 10:47 PM

I had a Boat Buddy that I used for a couple of years with no problems. Then one morning at Squaw Creek as I backed the boat down it tripped and latched the boat. I tried to force it open and when I did, it tried to rip my thumb off. When I got home I junked it.
Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Re: automatic boat latches - 07/11/19 02:50 AM

I've used a boat buddy for about 5 years now on a Triton TR186. Never had a problem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum