Texas Fishing Forum

c-map social maps

Posted By: Kyle903

c-map social maps - 07/02/19 02:59 AM

Anyone using c-map social maps? Some of the smaller lakes I'm fishing Navionics does not have mapping for. I found cmap social maps have a lot more detail on these little ponds and you can actually download them to a sd card for free. Has anyone used these? I just downloaded a map and dragged the files to my sd card I guess that all I gotta do??? If anyone has any tips or tricks please share! thanks
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: c-map social maps - 07/02/19 03:21 PM

I have it but havent downloaded anything yet. I agree the public maps look pretty good. You can map yourself but need a subscription to keep it private. Which makes sense I guess.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: c-map social maps - 07/02/19 07:28 PM

The coverage is not as good but the areas they have coverage for are more accurate.
On the lowrance elite ti series you can view the social map if you do not put on the same chip as the navionics maps.
Not sure if something with navionics licensing, just this finder or all lowrance finders. Can see the

Being a kayaker, I get the latest social map for where I plan on going before I leave the house and check to see if area I am going to is covered.
Still have the preloaded base maps for areas not in social maps. I record my sonar logs and upload them as soon as I get home.

If I had a motor boat you are covering a lot more area so likely need to see other maps as well. Still have preloaded base maps but they are not very good.
Posted By: vicstric

Re: c-map social maps - 07/03/19 03:58 AM

I have used the Free C-maps (used to be insight Genisis) for several years. It is pretty neat to be able to create your own map especially for the smaller lakes. I did a complete map of one of the local lakes that had no Navionics data. I think I may have had SOME help form someone else local. But either way it is very detailed.

One thing I have noticed is that when I started, There was a lot more stuff that was free. Some of the good stuff now needs a subscription. But overall, I still like it and use it.

One thing to note is that when you download a map, it comes in a zip file. the files have to be extracted to you SD card.

One last thing. As technology goes forward as it does, you can do the same thing with navionics if you have the app on your phone and a wifi signal from your Lowrance to your phone or tablet. As I understand it, the app will update real time. I am old school without WiFi at the moment so I am kind of screwed with doing that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum