Texas Fishing Forum

New PB??

Posted By: RedHouse

New PB?? - 06/27/19 09:06 PM

I caught this largemouth bass last Tuesday. I didn't have any way to weigh it and was concerned about trying to take it to a weigh station as it looked like it wouldn't survive for long. I took a few photos with my cell phone and dropped it back in the lake. It was about 27 inches long, give or take 1/2 inch. I'm pretty sure it was close to 12 pounds as I've caught a fair few 10-12 pounders, but your guess is as good as mine. Anyway, it hit a 2.5 squarebill, shown in the photo, in about 5-7 foot of water on the edge of some standing timber. Water temp; 82; wind 6-7 from the southwest. Good luck fishing, be friendly & be safe.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chris G

Re: New PB?? - 06/27/19 09:15 PM

In my opinion, its pretty much impossible to tell from that picture. GREAT fish regardless.

I caught this one in a tourney on Cypress Springs on July 2nd several years ago. It was 28" long and only weighed 8.51# so length can be deceiving this time of year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: New PB?? - 06/27/19 09:33 PM

Nice fish! Looks like it had some girth to it, should have left it near the measuring board/tape you used for scale
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: New PB?? - 06/27/19 09:42 PM

6-7 pounds max. Get a scale
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: New PB?? - 06/27/19 09:59 PM

She is a beautiful and thick fish. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on the catch.
Donald
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: New PB?? - 06/27/19 10:17 PM

Bad perspective. Looks like 8-9lbs
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: New PB?? - 06/27/19 11:52 PM

Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: New PB?? - 06/28/19 12:55 AM

No scale, 5 lbs
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: New PB?? - 06/28/19 03:16 AM

If you've caught a fair few 10-12 pounders, and think that one was about 27 inches, give or take, I'd round up to 13 and call it a day.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New PB?? - 06/28/19 08:48 PM

Nice fish.

Not too many measuring boards that go to 27" How did you measure her? If you held a tape measure at her mouth and went up & over to her tail she may not have been 27" Not trying to cast any aspersions but to get a halfway accurate estimate of weight by her length it is important to get an accurate length first.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New PB?? - 06/28/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G
In my opinion, its pretty much impossible to tell from that picture. GREAT fish regardless.

I caught this one in a tourney on Cypress Springs on July 2nd several years ago. It was 28" long and only weighed 8.51# so length can be deceiving this time of year.

[Linked Image]

If you weren't 7' tall that fish would look like a DD Chris!! roflmao
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: New PB?? - 06/28/19 09:57 PM

This is what a 12 1/3 looks like. Not my fish....the winner of the Meg Bass at Fork a few years ago. Beat out a 12.22. Photo on the LRB after fizzing, hook removal nd DNA clipping and measurements done. It swam away.:

Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: New PB?? - 06/28/19 10:35 PM

Nice fish congrats.... Id be happy to have caught it and took a pic holding it and flopped it back.

Who cares what ^^ anyone else says its a beast.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: New PB?? - 06/29/19 04:10 AM

Nice fish either way! Attached is TPWD's length to weight Estimator. (And for all the critics, it is an estimator.) But 1/2" will make a huge difference in that length of fish....
It's an interesting tool, but I carry a digital and back up manual scale now after I learned the hard way.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: New PB?? - 06/29/19 05:35 AM

For sure very large lol! Great catch
Posted By: Greg W

Re: New PB?? - 06/29/19 05:39 AM

I caught my PB at 7.73 this spring and my digital was not working. Had an old manual from boy scouts 45 years ago. Then ran it to the marina in a bucket and got an official weight. The old manual had it at 7 3/4. I was surprised how accurate it was. Fish was fine as I was fishing off the dock and just put it face first into the bucket and ran like hell.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: New PB?? - 07/01/19 05:29 PM

Way too skinny for 12
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: New PB?? - 07/01/19 05:36 PM

If you don't have a way to measure cut some line and get length and girth measurements and you'll get an approximate weight using a chart...

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: New PB?? - 07/02/19 03:52 AM

Nice fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum